1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BassCliff w/ANB at Ventura Boots and Brews Festival, 9/15/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Sep 16, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

It's been a long day full of driving, playing, driving, flying, more driving, and now I'm near sleeping. Me and the ANB played in Ventura for their Boots and Brews Country Festival.

FR2ZigXNcUM6Ybgwtm7YNTAp_bbs8SX9qHN5aWWUgyCTsM97vNBQryOYYIpelyG_q5PJ0oLbkqwxmkHVYxU=w506-h654-no.

John and I carpooled. He picked me up a little before 10:30am and stopped by his cigar shop on the way out of town.

5faxT8S0hwrvRnlUzw7uzUAa1wXBxtnJQEVNU9Sh7hHHHg9vrAFwKgdeEUJBltbMKZ3hIt8CHZohB5mveC5=w872-h654-no.

We headed toward Ventura.

gEZDkTw20qYDpd2gs2-8M3Rub5BW_24D1auoVqIK739R1faiJdXMutdCvDetfwXB3SSVHmk6_YYdHW7IoaV=w872-h654-no.

The Wayz app told us the 101 was pretty dang crowded so it took us over on the 118 instead, through some almost bucolic scenery. It was a lovely drive this morning.

zaQcQpPDqLiE04TIzPD1VAjrf1og2RhR_hGDW06RnXk7msivCYo7qky4YJ0bTIWH5IVSonlBU-doTjzy4oA=w872-h654-no.

I guess you could say we came in the back way to town. We were scheduled to arrive at 1pm and we were a few minutes early.

F_fdHjqn5RBHIe-tg1wfn8cczpRVRwdt316h9ibgBSpsb0SpmzEvhNf2exONz2RLo8LlsdwjCTWE1mBXztQ=w872-h654-no.

We loaded our gear in behind the stage at one corner of the square. This guy was not about to let us in until we got our badges.

vOCWXRR-qFYD-vSv2a5yqYfIs5zwAGMshV3C4p0dPTIwKOhlM2golq13p-qAs2cq5royq_-Dl9Mz95cXE8w=w872-h654-no.

After we got our badges a small army of stage crew helped carry our gear. We didn't have a whole lot because we were using the backline generously offered by Sundance Head's band.

qVARN3Z6ovahNhr3JGXRHNUWFJ_qotYWlAz7P7IwNFwtF-XiRtDs4SRxGBvi-ydEdim9Q26pkkHKcma9e3Z=w872-h654-no.

Arnie and Amanda scope out the happenings backstage.

PwCDp8IMGsWgyYGo78Ws5RrXd2KbaXxwhtivle8o4Evsa3TUkYOsTPYxc7usi_5EQcMnpwv7KN9fvaJVb76=w872-h654-no.

Now it's my turn to take a selfie with Amanda to show off my "All Access" pass.

QaTlJtuRVQhhqRkqUtJ2IoMKpeMyjyZymrWhVPUPAKXF04WF2Ucy5z-saYdz37TPJD1bBvmv7ItylYDxxy9=w872-h654-no.

The stage was a real cluster with three bands' worth of gear up there. The drum kit for Deana Carter and Montgomery Gentry was on a roller riser. The Sundance kit was in the middle and used for the two "local" acts.

8cGfBpWzonhLUjCnH_JQfXohM1sVtoo_o1aKIak8oragxq2bVUv2fP00uzrRUnmwthj9LVpr3MTOsNMMvGH=w872-h654-no.

Alexandria Corn and her band were doing a quick soundcheck. That big purple monster is the bass rig. We'll get a better look in a second.

lYYFq6UQKUijhKiuTvyJTxuHIasg_dL99Yr9wKwrfSbIoCwheKn-PUz2-D5s2sfbJ-ltkD6_3yyUMeIeMIU=w872-h654-no.

Here it is, the big purple people eater. A Demeter preamp, Crown power amp, and an 8x10 Ampeg cabinet. That bass belongs to Alex's bass player.

7DQG-tMlbieteq4nv-r6qUbm72qczBDWfw2AetuKGAnYvMRjs0moZC-phIE3OpLYWDFdHZUe3yfCQYT7e37=w872-h654-no.

This is Alexandria Corn and her band just before they start their set.

s0sckdjsC-4pRmnRN68P2htp59Gf4GtboxVOeuyeATYh1X7T6tekpqVOHNP4XmRgVSM7msmxdiyJtOLVfKZ=w872-h654-no.

Here they are performing their combination of covers and original material.

U-k1deNjBel83leHSFuIroQNb07-wjM4DqpBVTrrAbQQxEeeoOqoDdx2uO3afrrzSBtbAx2ewgS1PsOnTP=w1001-h654-no.

Can a drummer be too cute to fire?

ZtNfdXfAy7NZKYUGtvZ3APbd1BDRNENU1whNllhZDI6Y5WQVnDuSByun9OZgjKR7MtM02q1k75upFrahxRF=w872-h654-no.

After their set, Alex was kind enough to take a selfie with an old country bass player.

8VO1ctiv7GYtxMtl0MQVns5QJAAUDL60ECVr6u-4zsPeCwEGTEoPCYI3NEkLX_I4z13s1VDZY4wpio3i5Mf=w872-h654-no.

This is Sundance Head, winner of a recent season of "The Voice". He's a real down-home guy.

tp6thzOtOfp0E9q6oxx8ePuq92SSiidH5CwN_OhtsPyzWoZGpeJh5nvSATbmN3-ZQFnJQmCq0NWVsRJ2ndN=w872-h654-no.

Sundance and his bass player left their axes out in the sun to get warmed up.

tl65m4RkPG3XTifmi385shHfcOqHQB-LT4nNA_gK9I5aCGBt3qEECdCJ-fm8UUn68wcDHhqxeZgCJd8uuZk=w872-h654-no.

Amanda and the boys went out to Arnie's truck to go over some harmony parts on our new original material. We did four songs in our set that were not covers.

O0NbcilFjkDtyg-vv8ve7FUDsiUnxLCurbioBkPc-oymhvDd23M37xo5y0cLHSbX9vwEsweterdq-9WSfzc=w872-h654-no.

Amanda and John are ready to put on the show. .

sccmzTS7SlzVz_e5tyq43g0xaBbXL_B8CDfkRxTPVPQsjoTIMNHxy39AxXGb7yZtJ4TAYjGM_ZZ49ENPA1t=w872-h654-no.

I'll be back in the next post to finish this gig. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

After Alex and her band cleared the stage we all got set up as quickly as possible and actually got a pretty good monitor check. I could hear everything I needed to.

6hrghjwANFPjsTyc8B915IGxX5g7frPXAtZ8FEfUTYUYCvvrvzuJyZatfCYUxC5Arsr2fstSoz4MQyjc_yv=w872-h654-no.

Jimmy makes sure Jason has everything he needs in his ears.

Z2KpqSUGT5gZWCTZUZ5Gt8LrkPI_7jdRy3nOimdTZP_eUmPfTcxks9yimSf2iy8MSZXXg5CBoYwIGOeK_RO=w872-h654-no.

John takes a moment with Austin to discuss a recent yeast gene study that raises questions about the evolutionary origin of human chromosomes.

TupABwEugNHfm3Y2ChBkQbMmxZH0Z_qvynCVZrVe6ZiLNgGSlaGSK9rklwa7qdBFwd1XP6dWTDhYz5Pz1mz=w872-h654-no.

The fellow running the monitor board was sharp. He quickly and thoroughly dialed us in.

jO8aYlEap7ZY4t3GuS5XmYGGNgYvrMbzuHY8iNk5L99uWJU1EYWlG0cVLSbIL5ZlfcbQg3aG8pMTem-fjpq=w872-h654-no.

Randy and I could hear everything we needed.

Vl4Un3-8BnQSV3SX9OsCrc4aCbLxZip7T0LOliPu0VFd7ZJ73Xe0giQ-fPPRZ4vghH2DxQh2E0AM26c25HT=w872-h654-no.

Here's a stage selfie just after our little soundcheck. We had to leave the stage so the announcer could announce us.

-JtJZ2eo1iuXQkI926eNae_EpNgBHQFJjZGpYYND1I6Js8ndRSy5jS5Jr-QJaiiqGRwns4-FJcMh0STuizg=w872-h654-no.

I grabbed a picture of Amanda in front of the growing crowd just before our set.

6RzG1_t89IgbyPwsJHNxb_q5l3DeWmlFPh7rDyRMiKnQ8RU2PF467_c-cNog53ZHBW5hjLuUe1XpZ9aXtQH=w872-h654-no.

We cleared the stage to let the announcer do his thing. He's from a local country radio station.

2157NDTqpCPAwdcaZTJVM7LJLXzNKhDfzPNgXsvTzAV5gokrDGOgWtatEN5V6SxAETrF9VkP2qoaEnhq1I5=w872-h654-no.

The boys in the band are backstage just chomping at the bit.

Mx43GqmlxV7K0hfNQCkB5B2e1BW0avSz70Ge1MX5SC98eF5LOArJb6-8FmMrvk-mzr8MTF_tIwr9nSjmIxN=w872-h654-no.

I'll have to share some pictures that Mrs. Arnie took from out front. Here's a shot of the crowd from my vantage point.

_2bzpOTbni21gx3azaAap8Nng28TvYOcELTblRS2lOYg3eoBCurZsTMcirvwMj00iE_RORMjo9uN0I2Boev=w872-h654-no.

We had a few dancers but I didn't take any pictures during our performance. I just couldn't find the time. But here's a closer view of some of the audience.

TwQIxyVNNi1sVR2FSXHQb6-ofb7wEMOvspX5eLeoIbl-KlsvSkCGSaM-DzDOzpPvYr39RofAHa1tylTWctf=w892-h654-no.

We played for exactly an hour. John and I were off the stage and headed to his car before the last note was done ringing in the reverb. We made a quick getaway to catch a flight at LAX to Houston for our True Willie gig. The gig is actually near Livingston at the Naskila Gaming Center.

18-NASKILA-02102-PartyinthePines-sep16-Poster22x28.

I'll be back later to tell you all about that one. Thanks for looking!

BassCliff

3. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Beauty Cliff! Great looking gig and fabulous report. Didn’t realise ANB we’re doing some originals - are there any recordings?

4. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    What NZ said. It would be nice to hear, those of us not living in SoCa at least.

BassCliff likes this.
  5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Very cool! And, by the way, as you may well know...security at these types of gigs, where backstage access is not so casual, IS IMPORTANT!! Sorry if I sound a bit "high-horse" -y. Just sayin'- I started working at Verizon Amphitheater here in Atlanta, and it's a whole different perspective.

Glad you had a short set, everybody looked good, (even that poor Alexandria..:woot:) and, as always, looking forward to hearing more on the TW gig.

BassCliff likes this.
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Is it my imagination, bad eyesight, or are the security droids wearing bdus and black berets? :eyebrow:

BassCliff likes this.
  7. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Once again, great gig report!

BassCliff likes this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    In the John/Austin pic it is clear that they are ball caps

BassCliff likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ah! That’s a comfort of sorts. :thumbsup:

BassCliff likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes...

11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Cliff. Even though it was a crowded stage it looked big enough to be comfortable. :thumbsup:

I noticed the video camera on a platform. Did they give you any info about if/when you can see/get the recording?

I'm in the want-to-hear-the-originals group. Hopefully you'll be able to post some. :)

12. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I’m glad you guys have your own material.
    I would like to hear it. :laugh:

McG, BassCliff and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Great gig report. Wanted to see more boots!
    Ventura is a great town.

McG and BassCliff like this.
  14. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Nice report... how did you like the bass rig?

BassCliff likes this.
  15. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar

Mar 12, 2013
    New York
    Cmon Cliff, I want to hear those originals too!

Was Deana Carter the headline act? I suppose you weren’t able to catch any of her set as you had to split for the airport.

Thank you again for taking the time to snap the pictures and share them with us. I really do enjoy your posts.

I’d do a gig report myself, but I’m usually in such a rush (busy day gig, wife and young child) that snappin’ pics is the last on my mind. I’m just trying to make the downbeat on-time and in-tune!

Cheers,
    David

pjbassist and BassCliff like this.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

That comment and picture immediately made me think of this scene ...

:D

Another great gig report. :thumbsup:

smogg, BassCliff and mikewalker like this.
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sounds like another great gig, @BassCliff. But, you hairy legged boys just don't hold a candle to Amanda. :woot:

BassCliff likes this.
  18. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I didn’t know that the Gentry half of M.G. Died last year.
    Was wondering about the pic on the poster.

BassCliff likes this.
  19. Chains

Chains

Jan 22, 2014
    Loved that pic where the bass was just lying there on stage.

BassCliff likes this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Thank you for stopping by, sharing your fun, asking your questions, leaving your thoughts, an otherwise taking part in this great business we call.... the internet. :)

Well, yes and no. There are some scratch recordings and Spotify recordings that we used as learning material, but there are no "Arnie Newman's Country Club" recordings of our "original" material. I'm sure that will happen soon since Arnie has just upgraded his whole recording studio.

Well, I have a seriously bad rehearsal/practice cellphone recording that I used to woodshed these tunes. But it's really, really, I mean really rough. We were changing keys, changing arrangements on the fly, etc.

Let me see how long it will be until I get something presentable. I'm sure we'll be getting into Arnie's studio to record, otherwise I might put together the worst medley of the best parts. ;)

I wasn't dissing the security in any way. I realize they have a serious job to do. Heck, I wouldn't want anybody looking like me walking up to the back entrance of the festival saying "I'm with the band" and allowed into the event. :p

I didn't pay close enough attention. I don't know if they were Ventura PD or if they were private security. But all the security folks were in dark blue and not BDU. Although I did notice a few sidearms.

Thank you very kindly!

Yeah. Security seemed to be taken seriously but on the "down low".

You just never can tell these days.

OK. I guess a drummer can be too cute to fire. There you have it, my friends. If you want to fine the drummer, just make sure your drummer is not "too cute". :)

I don't know if we'll get any of the video. Chances are it may be on the city's local cable channel. I'll see if I can find any footage.

So would I! We have a couple tunes that Amanda's Mom wrote. Amanda's Mom has been writing great stuff for decades. Austin's song was written by himself. It's a fun tune. Let me see what I can do.

Yes, Ventura seems pretty cool. Sorry I didn't get more boots for you. I'm sure there will be some popping up on the social medias. I'll keep an eye out. ;)

It sounded pretty much like any other Ampeg 8x10 I've used. It actually cut out a couple of times during our set. I thought it was due to the heat. It was in direct sunlight the whole day. But when I talked to Dave, Sundance's bass player, he mentioned that his preamp didn't really like active basses, even though I plugged into the active input on the Demeter preamp.

Aww, c'mon David. How much effort does it take to take your cellphone out of your pocket and snap a picture or two? ;)

Deana Carter was second on the bill. Montgomery Gentry was first on the bill. Arnie said he took some pictures with Deana but I haven't seem them yet.

I'll get to those "originals" as soon as I can. :)

Thank you. You know, us musicians talk about other stuff besides 'shorts on stage' and 'Mustang Sally'.

Tell me a about it. :p

That's the "Montgomery" half. They actually had a discussion about what would happen if one of them died. Google it.

That was the instrument used by Alexandria Corn's bass player. It was, what seemed to be, a really nice P-bass copy by a boutique maker. I'm sorry I don't remember the luthier.

You guys are great. Thanks for making me feel like a small time rock star. :p

BassCliff

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    McG, Inky13, 40Hz and 3 others like this.