1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/ANCC at The Ranch, 10/26-27/18(Video added!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Oct 27, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey yous guys!

Tonight was quite special but a little embarrassing. It was soooo great to have @McG and @bluesblaster in the house! I just wish I would've played better. You know how it is. Sometimes a song (or two) that you learned once, and you haven't played for months, somehow gets on the set list and you haven't had a chance to brush up on it ...and, well, you could tell. Anyway, let me get this gig started.

I have to leave work a little early to make it down to this place before the doors open. The traffic wasn't too bad today, for rush hour on a Friday, but the traffic at the off ramp was backed up way onto the freeway. Why are all these people on my exit?

5PamAjc3JXqlA3Q3Y7oAiGQgCVfJZPqVVSxNL7BFwJe3k2ofRZB9kdGajK8846HnkVWxwvDfCncU7bvfiQ=w1098-h796-no.

I pulled into the parking lot of The Ranch and drove around to the parking spots reserved for the band. That's right. We have reserved parking spaces.

dpFItc4yvD2xyQq12WVYaAic9AxBv6Bq23hz5_w1u3v9evR8-9kwhvMqOqlbuBFRg1Y9UODc7nd3hNHNbw=w1062-h796-no.

I don't bring much to this gig because I use the house's IEM and don't use an amp. I just tossed my stuff on the floor next to Johnny Magic Fingers and took a picture.

vCV_HTCK5fOr52vLGm5Hy2nPebWVdzme2iFdJt_1StPBGA6P-9tCabWMccSi6DAgHWRgoH3pT1sDlGditQ=w1062-h796-no.

Here's the old country bass player just about ready to plug into the DI box that the soundman left for him.

Mp0X-YDAWwnnZH8_L_rVqlUWeDOEGP8LXBX04pSvQ70hozqTJUw3jRjT7yJImqAnsnB4-gY9K-G442deiQ=w1062-h796-no.

Then we retire to the green room for our supper. Arnie, John, and I begin the feeding frenzy.

q04xQOmoWXdzJd-9G8-aEeUk8w1a3C9D_5JKNFo04s3jGRPzlsbemtrFV86AT75Zj8xEYS5EaRvnaOqFyQ=w1062-h796-no.

I had my favorite, the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and an heirloom beet salad, with ingredients from The Ranch's own gardens.

iM0MgQzceIETDjcXsZuUoJEswYUhOL5uhaM1OOE_aM3vihU-3bB2Anl-bvaJ4YfiefwxE6lmuXsq1zvr0g=w1062-h796-no.

Dev was giving the dance instruction tonight. She is "Ms. Friday Night".

p2CFSk2wOZ8OZ6bM6wX0TJPytVeFYoEszWV91TTrxwsotpxPZtGKqC8Pq4Y4ZvDNC97AnS_uHFJt-PFEEA=w1200-h751-no.

Then we begin the night with the owner, Andrew Edwards, sitting in with the band.

618ew1nA4SfUB5mDJoPRNkkkzHST-pgfJJpJqLGaShRSjrh6BjmI86gv43EN8h0K-8k0hKUEKrrMoF1DEg=w1062-h796-no.

Andrew loves to introduce us as, "One of our most favorite bands, Arnie Newman's Country Club Band!" Then on the break I found these ne'er-do-wells hanging out near the bar.

VFsuCh3-oz4RXVz7igFKxZRLze6uhvF1dl51cmI42tXAUGndqHTtrQBsnHo9GLSHk2Stkr1EC2ueQ9js4w=w1062-h796-no.

You may recognize Grant (@McG) on the left, yours truly on the right, and we have @bluesblaster himself, all the way from Minnesota, came over to greet us. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you Scott.

Then we were back to work. We had a fun night.

y8xhxFh8__REYjeYw5CxpJSeV2rIx510bEEzVbwGq2ULeF-PyeUxjt34k-qY-s0WZ5NQEYt6jdWD_Ilr6A=w1062-h796-no.

Arnie is such a poser. Well, so am I, but at least Arnie can play!

r5M9Fp1UjlStNa6KsLfwvCS4OSH9s4sPBuqJiEwXG8N2Oqjs-SEZRaf-AgbCg2s1CJPjHu4BhkGEsX8zSw=w1062-h796-no.

We had a lot of fun and Amanda always does a great job.

KC02iKhDG4kL4dh2Qw7abaM__-xEtgSI7wygisATmyPNs2IOxDniBkLJ7Br9LZEL8BWBW1ToREQXpMPtCg=w1030-h772-no.

There was not a large crowd tonight but they had a bunch of fun. This is one of the bridal parties in the house tonight.

QLmhDWFaRjc71kDuCfZuKQL6YvgO1Yhb8lzVkb1bMDJHM_HjEzp9Z4XQrdKr6kqNDSJ0Kwq7tY7PZEhkdQ=w1030-h772-no.

I took a picture of someone taking a picture.

uTgaAxkL8jMN-I_6W_JVXRLU75dcXgGNOPRFampgqgQxI4VGwX5gpTAe104QJJd2aE26xuPwEah6JSRIDg=w1062-h796-no.

Did I tell you that Daniel, my buddy from the KRB, is doing a few gigs with us? He is always the consummate professional.

P8zwOyaa1HsU_OeHr693ByHa4ZT91VwQMI92pHCwzE_6SL831OjYQGc1rcKZeb29OR0zq81Bd3x6ao1idw=w1062-h796-no.

Randy was playing one of his six strings on a few tunes tonight.

Cak0B1eLC5KTDGnOLB9vxKq_13VaF_VyEMDuQecwzF93pwPt-FuspT0sNagoBh9VQ_z7E5wpq8L8oOQWyg=w1062-h796-no.

I think Jason was having fun tonight. He tears up the house kit.

zyJxCvezmOm1cSHBhvw3PZfA33_oQeSFeFmcponk6KR5XidDeWrJBCe43TZtygvfpiFkyLC9gJptyYbHKQ=w1062-h796-no.

Another shot of stage right. Randy brought a different guitar tonight. I'll have to take a close look at it tomorrow.

FzUSzRu-kzGyJMJSc0-ZmNsRJkIDvMNbt9hIl63gXKxky3Z2054hQnCwqIFF3T7wU8txVbYC6B9H3H1tzw=w1062-h796-no.

Another shot of the bridal party having their fun.

5XivEDUi6I5UpMRdj-Xb1inAtBZ7zl5d0Tyi3W7OojpiC7kincXtuUSaoI5iHXja1Oehs2QSUL2lkydl5w=w1062-h796-no.

Yes, the ball game was on all night. The Dodgers finally won after 18 innings but they didn't spoil our fun. At least we didn't have a big screen behind us.

We'll continue this gig report tomorrow. I'm sure @McG took a couple of pictures too. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Ha! Your humility is laughable, Cliff! I have seen you play and even sing on youtube,you are a pros pro! No way anyone off the stage had any inkling that you may have been a bit rusty on a song or two! Great looking gig as always!

3. You got a rough life bro.

:rolleyes:

nixdad, BassCliff and McG like this.
  4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Someday, and we don't know when that day will come but, I will be in one of these pictures with you.. ;)

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Hey, relax Cliff - you don't suck!!! Nice to see you guys back where you belong - The Ranch - Yeeee-HAH!!!

6. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Cliff.

We had a super fun evening. I honestly didn't hear any clams. The band sounded great.

I took a couple of audience pics I'll post later. Now I gotta hit the shower and get out the door for a 9 AM load in. :woot:

7. I like to remind people that wrong notes are extra ones I throw in for free! :smug:

I'm sure your playing was still great, you don't live the cool gigging life that you do if you aren't "on" more then you are "off" Carry on!

nixdad, Kitsapbass, mcarp555 and 2 others like this.
  8. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Food and RESERVED parking.
    Damn, life is better in So.Cal.
    Thanks Cliff.:bassist:

nixdad, McG, Sore Thumb and 1 other person like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Thank you for your kind words. I do a passable job most of the time. Right now I'm going over the tunes I messed up, getting them back in my head and under my fingers. I wasn't even drinking (much) last night. Maybe that was the problem. :p

I put cocoa butter all over my face, my iconic belly, and my arms and legs. Why live rough? Live smooth. ;)

I'm looking forward to it! :)

Thanks Dan. Yes, it's like home here. And I suck only sometimes. :p

Have a great gig! I'm glad you guys were able to hang out for a couple of sets. If you watch the live stream tonight I promise I'll do even better. :smug:

It's just a momentary loss of concentration on my part. I tend to recover quickly without trainwrecking the band. Very few people not on stage never notice, you know how it is. But you always want to do better. Last night Arnie and I both spaced on some song lyrics. So we just vamp until they come back, a few extra measures of intro, "I got it", a few more measures, "Now I really got it", then I sing. :rolleyes:.

Some aspects are better, others not so much. Last weekend these commodities were in scarce supply. But The Ranch does things right most of the time.

There were a few costumes last night and there will be more tonight. Even the band said we would dress up a bit on Saturday night. Friday night Amanda was a cute little mouse for the first couple of sets. I'll get some more pictures up later when The Ranch shares their photos. In the meantime, here's Toni and Doris, a couple of our lovely regulars. They were visiting Mark at the soundbooth. Mark doesn't like having his picture taken.

toni-and-doris.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

10. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Dodgers/Sox was tough competition last night for me too. Good to see Amanda back in her rightful spot.

nixdad, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  11. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Can’t imagine what could have distracted you.

nixdad, Kitsapbass, dbase and 2 others like this.
  12. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    As always Cliff, great report. I prefer to call my little mistakes "brain farts". Usually, only I notice until my brain re- engages.

I remember the days of running a DI straight from my amp. Thank goodnessi don't bring an amp these days.

nixdad, Kitsapbass, McG and 1 other person like this.
  13. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Still waiting for the book on Amazon.

14. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Hey, just remember the Victor Wooten quote - "you're never more than a 1/2 step away from a note that works". Keep up the good work, women in skimpy costumes are always a distraction.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice as always! great stuff --- and it looks like a ton-o-fun! thanks, cliff. :thumbsup:

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It was a pleasure to meet Cliff in person and see the Arnie Newman band live , They are top notch all the way. I wish I could have stayed another day to catch Grants band the Goat Hill Gamblers but time didn't allow this trip but I had swell time hanging out with Grant Last week for the afternoon. Thanks for your hospitality Cliff, Myself and my folks enjoyed our evening at the Ranch.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    nixdad, Kitsapbass, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  17. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Another nice gig report, @BassCliff looking forward to seeing you guys again at NFR! :thumbsup:

18. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice one Cliff - looking forward to the stories behind Saturday’s costumes too - I managed to catch some of the set, including Johnny’s spotlight, and you nailing Some Kind Of Wonderful - good job!

Here’s a photo of you taking a photo of...
    BB64E283-8175-4B4D-84D9-C34D4FC85F3A.

Jimmy4string, G19Tony, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  19. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Ok, now I am REALLY waiting on the Saturday night gig report!

BassCliff, McG, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  20. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Excellent report, Cliff! I’m glad Grant and Scott were able to join you as well, and no doubt a good time was had by all.

Looking forward to the next Bassmigos GTG.

dbase, McG and BassCliff like this.