BassCliff w/KRB at Bella Terra, HB CA 8/17/17

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

The gigs are coming fast a furious this week for me and the KRB. This little summer concert yesterday was in the middle of the Bella Terra Mall in Huntington Beach. I pull into the mall near the parking structure.

XU36C6Z2G09Xcrj4uWmV_QN1YGljCTIa7UbIw8iPBGajW-DJ-WZTfZc5SxEx1rS9LfgEVLSehFdvRK6A5g=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We had to check in with the security office before we unloaded so I walked by the little amphitheater on the way to locating said office. This fountain and amphitheater are right in front of the movie theater.

w9dtv_XMF4_8sTqCIXsL-jK0h_ZkD8Ezn2f5wAT5c0TzjmyWe2iFKjkJadwaAPFkGy5HKByAQH3SSbgA4Q=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Of course the security office was on the other side of the mall. When I got there I found Arthur already signing in.

nj2owUIewLjuicbhhoJgF75xRCv-QrPCqDpEwwfgSegErJILnIh7IiQgwSKQnseZMIWVqCyALoGHR63lSg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Luckily I had asked another security guard for directions and he had pointed me through the middle loading area of the mall. It was still a good walk.

csTFexXUUHsc4ELVrzCfN-yderhdn_L_H4L7NXlw1hILdBv2PjqB1mCDGzHHMrD_E1Tr_MEQerQRW2D9Qg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We went back to our vehicles, grabbed our gear, and continued the schlep.

rSBhukfvVMvBVYmKN7SJuRpo671QDxia5E8SurfDN-1Kx0S_hp4svotinc6yz6tKUEJ54qSL8E1F0wcP1w=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We had to shoo the kids away. They we enjoying the fountain.

sfylR0pzmziZ0yQrOmmBA0ohUF4yAqluXcx_nmuSlpXtsIMUSMqBi95-judpiafbK3Exgl33tBDntQSRqg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Mario arrives with his snare and a backpack. I asked if he was using is mini-kit again. Not for this gig.

GN1Kvuvs28Cz9T0_HTLoRa0qAAu95cdiaTS7PraS4RVP1tPsXhD7xVlepybTV-PHPLDQS8ZZLaip9T8c2A=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Hal rolls up soon after.

01sRJv2i_Z8x9KFWAS6rLTruii5udaO9WANL-dKGWMIcfrktizoGpwih5EKlaDNpgFIfJqDRPednifdU-Q=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then Jack and Kelly arrive with the PA and the setup choreography begins in earnest.

OXJ-cQrYtZjMv8EFd5v2AfpFDdTMa46BSmnJ0ezKh555x-DaxphUc8Fx21jw8V7cFfz74tNuQ9uxLqAHbA=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Daniel does the cable dance behind the back line.

n1FRG48C4DoRSBbnUsQbTV_8-gTyDWBJukt_SyijAlKK1n-E5ktJpQ9OPWpSA8Q9i5QM2X7GJhs6IbZsPw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Art and Mario get settled. Mario was a little concerned about the unevenness of our "stage" but he made it work.

LFy8nodDKy4oPnXnVjWuoxb6UNZRyRj-ExtrIKXSVZoU9ZrSu03JqOf2EJ9dpcnV_NLGXvKYM1W3bvdTfw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Kelly and her daughters, who will be singing later, take it easy while the guys do the heavy lifting.

rxZurQU0j8MTiDlSl34Vmfuc5CnWvRxZH5J5zX93-ufwk4aHuV5ADzSWiUwWkAvRyqnXlyWnvhtfDjecQw=w1200-h941-no.jpg

It looks like we are getting dangerously close to sound check. A fan chats up Art and Jack.

pPlcXxbZJB_K3PRHJD8T81BUZ4yyR4nisQVrDG-dp8IbTc7slz8rBsAsQdYVTyqW2ICiIBfBh6RxUZYaUw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

The stage is set. We have our sound checked. Now it's time to have a bite of supper before we start making noise.

CM0Y5yjRMX0FdXYtix5Psz-L-bbO676UBFycL85zc7i9_he50xNZy_tHx3nnyBY5vg5O2ULcck9ikRbP0Q=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Art, Mario, and I decide we'd like some poke. (That's pronounced po-kay, not po-kee. That means something totally different!)

gnZKl9k__5HbXh0nW0IJ8-YstEd_sVlOlFFYUdxA3CqUbgstZRxduFvvgKR0AfWVadSkG4fCCrfw1iKBwg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I had a large poke on a salad base with spicy tuna, salmon, crab, sea weed, ginger, cucumbers, and all kinds of healthy stuff. Sorry Mr. @dbase.

IFjMGMc8-DfoagiYAf9ccMcOVfJEOjpBQjbE31N0iu3Xw51FuoZwu0X0IXOrKzg7KGUwDeUrvFFBUfnOuQ=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then it was time to head back to the "stage" and tune up.

-7znBs7L5W3vm2QopBzYVrVwQdafBXlJZPAp70WLWA3Qah7gpWmedMqFiSZmITrVO4OxhB742FJKafHTKw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

How about an amp-selfie?

8gC9R6QfcKavz_KA5_6dM0ZFPZeXpIzURay_FUl6ARu09o1UzPf9ntw8Egngf7qC-N-3AoyU3rnNapGQJQ=w1200-h900-no.jpg

And Kelly begins the show!

BKiGeXSIFBwHzYN7XIqrg1Bho_JxbKO5jkGs2fgKDNKm62T82o4bLhB1qjtPmzeq5o9gbkVrk8EOyALCdg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I'll be back to finish up in the next post. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    You are a busy dude Cliff! Another very cool gig. Looks great, and you have shade!

Mark

HolmeBass and BassCliff like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Here's an action shot of the whole band, ripped from the pages of social media.

exXgbzJSGqBvyIjyXiFNbqcX8uRuiZKjuo5fBpumtoMKF5oHpsDOBnCsMMRotKibY8g2_AeRbVvOwer-Rw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

You can see Kelly in the crowd while her girls sing. She's a proud mama.

Phxb9_0kMukJQRx3TmAnSyi17iNFX7USm9vxQYePgFbakoMr-zSfNNBn7rNvv553Mlh40xp3XEel_DVRvg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We take a short break to have more caffeinated refreshments.

LU9LvmwgqKYdYqGybv3sHia_7EXmMRLEUDdBpcUWmMpb1w5XwzPUA_0ryLjvqGtzOOxeG4G-Mym5LZPZuA=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then we're back at it. Daniel plays the intro to "My Church" while Art furnishes the rabbit ears.

dIdWv2ttEOCRMPtWBpxqCDMj1R3QcMsHoP2JsZJiKbpQOlAVC-8izzYKjLT05FN1PqSaZV2XgwEdGfXL3A=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Mario thinks that's pretty amusing.

EEuVelZ5EGY8uZ_n7fL4boDMyjRiWfvIN87zUbwfFXp8O9fU_Gso_wBvYBMOG9eYCL6T5ki8afhCMxTk2g=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Hal thinks our antics are pretty funny. Jack has his nose in the mixing board.

8MgFDM73ED59a5UjD5r8PcwGHx2ZFdMlEn5S2dtArIfb54mkGidmM4pQXmXj0GQQonVlU1CF2-4NluZW5A=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Of course, Kelly is the adult putting on the show.

XbdmUlv4O9fm-AGXAnQfWpvwwVlc6tqKTRhKGFN0vsAti5XPEMku6qmhMu1Dwvg-0YX_MUEBUUoXMl1hug=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Kelly really does a great job connecting with the audience.

5os6klbW1N2gNgK7fGQjl1ayD0HL8adUPnMNotq6iyDwpKDeles58mAe99iQfIT9WryEbuv1Y-Qz7lUEgg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Another action shot from a phone, to social, media to you.

C5pPINcb3exYHZDxSPxpuULXBJfXILb407DRkeShk6XMWJKPwgmtAElJZrlB-USQnXBTodNp3u_m6q6eJg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

While Kelly's girls were singing and Jack was playing bass, I took this view of the crowd from behind the band.

3LKYVmmApKyycTnc8_0MYV5_JNzmBROOACB74mzRelmUlu27sK33NtoKy3Wsco_rrVM7CfkjWxbjCEetOw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

It's late in the evening and it's time for Daniel's big hit, "Devil Went Down To Georgia", with more rabbit ears from Art.

x6nyk6Y6h84n3LamWwb3xaw73BhSlxIoifw-UTjpKduCiZfF9Qpy3Z1-74KFKR5CBKLu9ruXPhsYJwcbuw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then we did one encore and called it a night. Then it was Rock-n-Roller cart city as we pack up our gear.

B3fBIcL_6RkIBjMo3R3qh4raiQx84Ofgd0lx1CrKgkTGEuswRoLDd9Upw_6O1mg7ry6kUHw4pSpYPHP8Lg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Jack had a lot of stuff to schlep so I gave him a hand to the parking lot with his gear.

16-Ezefhb9R_YyFOBo4G4QCblwyJYp0QL-XGzQTASyg_ReV_ysgREWHqGRkmlMuJ-gME39v8bWXjqWK4Aw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Even with the long carry and helping Jack, I was in my Astro Van on the way home by 9pm. Which is OK in my book since I have to work in the morning plus play another gig in the evening. This old man needs his rest. I'll be back tomorrow with more giggage. Thanks for looking! Please share your gigs!

Tonight we are at the Brea Fest in the Brea Civic Cultural Center. Please stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

BassCliff

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    salad.jpg

vomiting.jpg

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mark,

Wow! You got in there before I even finished the gig report. Yes, it was a pleasant evening shaded by the buildings around us. It's starting to cool off just a little here in the So. Cal.

However, Sunday we will be out in Beaumont which is in the desert of the Inland Empire, halfway to Palm Springs. I hope we are at least covered there.

BassCliff

7. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    See, I'd have pronounced that "Poak"!!! (Looked pretty good, though!) Awesome report - although that schlep is not to be believed, with the required check-in, and all. Thanks for posting... so quick, I might add! Kelly, and daughters as well, looked their usual best. DAY-um, I wish I could hear you guys live!!!

dbase, BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  8. Thanks for the gig report. I was hoping to catch y'all last night but had to work much later than usual. Yes, it'll quite a different environment in Beaumont. Don't get heatstroke!

McG, Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  9. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I thought I saw "Kale" in that salad .. yuk!

BassCliff and Fat Freddy like this.
  10. A bit tougher gig logistically, but still a nice outdoor space with an amphitheater setup for people to enjoy the show.

I could see in one of your shots that while the Poke Bar overlooked the stage area, it wasn't all that close to the stage. Did you guys take turns getting food so that there was always someone with the gear? Or did mall security help out? It can sometimes be a challenge in a public space with no stage elevation or other barriers to entry, even some kids innocently checking stuff out could knock over a guitar stand or a mic stand.

But thanks for another great report. You get 'em up quickly! I guess like so many things, practice makes perfect.

11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    In an age when the majority of humans are satisfied with music that's automated and/or faked, it thrills me to see how busy a true live band like yours is. Way to go!

12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Well, _I_ think the food looks great!

BassCliff and McG like this.
  13. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Trying to get them to come East .... :)

Fat Freddy, BassCliff and McG like this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

Thanks for taking a peek into my little musical adventures.

Thanks Dan. I've had worse schleps but finding the security office was kind of a inconvenience. I'm not complaining! ;)

Hi Dave. I actually thought I might see you at this one. Oh well, next time! :)

It was seaweed. :D

At most of our gigs we don't worry much about theft or vandalism but, yes, someone will usually keep an eye on the stage for any innocent mishaps. The kids were having a great time. We even played the Chicken Dance for them.

Thank you. Kelly doesn't seem to have any problems booking good gigs. She doesn't play the bar scene much any more which is fine by me. She's got a pretty good product and has clients willing to pay for it. This bass player is pretty happy.

I like salad. I like sushi. Poke is like sushi salad. Yum!

It would be fun to get this band way out of town but most venues won't cover the cost of a fly date for a cover band. Bummer.

BassCliff

15. Good stuff, Cliff.

:thumbsup:

Looks like a nice spot: I wouldn't mind playing at malls if they all looked like that!

16. I''m sorry, but I would be distracted in your band.

Great report again!

BnB

Fat Freddy likes this.
  17. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I like kale. Seaweed is even better. Must be a coastal thing.

Your schedule is astonishing for a day job type person, at least lately. Keep it up and you won't need a day job any more, and then we can all say "we knew him back when..."

When your name is in lights at Carnege Hall, just remember us little people, y'know.

McG, Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  18. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    That looks like the food my food eats....:laugh:

Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  19. lots of kids out there in the crowd! Looks like fun.
    Keep on truckin Cliff!

20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

It was a nice little amphitheater in the middle of the mall. It's not able to hold a huge crowd but there was probably a couple hundred people hanging around. The kids enjoyed playing and dancing. The pay was more than twice that of a regular bar gig for half the work, except for the schlep. But I'm not going to complain. ;)

Thank you. It's just a job. Actually, it's not just a job. It's a really fun job (most of the time). :)

I don't mind green food at all. Some people have an aversion to it.

I'm busiest during the summer months, often 10-12 dates from July through September. The rest of the time it's normally 4 to 6 dates a month. I'm lucky to have seniority and lots of vacation time on the books since most of my dates are earlier in the evening and I have to leave work early.

I'm hoping to play a little more after I retire in two or three years but I doubt I'll ever do much more than what I'm doing now. Nobody wants to see an old guy playing bass on TV, unless you're Leland Sklar. ;)

BassCliff

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021