1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/KRB at Big Horn Golf Club, 1/27/17

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends and neighbors!

The KRB and I played two private parties this past weekend. Friday night was in Palm Springs and Saturday was in Laguna Niguel. That made for a lot of driving but I'm not complaining. It was a pleasant day to drive out to the desert. The mountains were lovely and the landscape was a verdant green, instead of its normal brown, from all the recent rain and snow.

kz3EnKq8WE-95UUzKt4ydEIFMfpyyqMxzn9HF2TMaxraAoRN19xS1t7ia6SRhWfpSYugHzsSNdPhjMeYDQ=w1024-h768-no.

There was more traffic than I had counted on but since I always leave a little wiggle room for driving time I arrived just a couple minutes after the scheduled load-in time. We played across the street from the clubhouse where we normally play at this golf club. The event was held at the steakhouse because the old clubhouse has been torn down to build an entirely new one.

c5Y6lERMuRvai0CHm83j5-q50Wp7Cq_KtXOtwdLrmzsIl8iF0BoFIL4AR_xUdNCi5IylEx07gzv6wAxftA=w1024-h768-no.

This was a nice looking room.

LT4dljIrXBobuOCvdDXlLriAAf8pH3Sn06sYgH65cNO2ZH68DJWMvTWJBT3udgL8U9hTZbpJ-CC7yyRn2w=w1024-h576-no.

It was a lovely, intimate supper room but it wasn't really set up for live music.

wTLS01-Q8zibT6H0mshCc2FOGDjdq8-H3pzJhVwwwzOPHuqQmPo7xXKCGv_tRsNp9xrLamiSZ6UEXLs_9w=w1024-h768-no.

There was no stage or dance floor. We set up our gear on one side of the room under this archway. It was a little inconvenient because the serving staff had to walk through the band to get wine, linens, etc, while we were playing. We made a path and made do.

uSg2QIC5qCEN2d9Jfj1XTo22okKapW8AwBZehx9C6ThHvEIJ6Z0jP4MP5T3-OYKxP4K1uQcn-b1E206skg=w1024-h768-no.

Just behind the band was our green room where we stored our stuff and had our supper.

kNB5yse6VYi3DUMOnsVxZhkMWo1ka4iBsc3Q0qDALsKzrOGXsZ24TayiGR-FxcfQ2PFIx48lBh1YCtvLbg=w1024-h768-no.

I think these guys are laughing at the bass player.

75j2xHGIufa39XTjoR1Tv2I_oMAzU9RxaPHLBxRIWPXleub8zyb4RwJ7QYR-KvQQmCbzbz-itL-X6TR-Ig=w1024-h576-no.

Jack ran sound and light for us tonight. We used all our small gear because the room was so intimate.

2RTDPZ7600yK3drL3ul_TZnuSPFKmP55UEZ9xg0RuQFAdqxc5h9Y1-Hlzj5XWDgUQRzPboENj0fFsupr3g=w1024-h576-no.

Mario brought a very small kit and I used my Carvin 210 cab, just like Mr. @rtslinger. ;)

VT3JBLMmf2pDqEWc335Gchl7M7iikeGJJzkYTr7VE08YCy2uY0CdnZ_JczPLsS_4SgusMjFPLmz3AE63nLw=w450-h799-no.

Kick, snare, floor tom, hi-hat, and one cymbal. That's all Mario needed.

q1O_OQ0fNiBCJcpZu1uiLbGFIIw50_Zi3bn-9-4vofF_gezQ2yJld2YNqi6xikwB6-3gr-n9CucZVwSJjg=w1024-h576-no.

Oh! That's why Art and Daniel were laughing at the bass player. Hal seems unconcerned. I'm glad Kelly got there in time to throw my bail before the gig started. :D

5ALLi-sSvSDAdvvs2NiLOYh9tEddtcNuZ5V6BFgiOBMA6I7MVIJfTruvEYPQbypVy3M6HvTrh96ycG6VIg=w1024-h768-no.

We got to have our supper before we played. The servers got us all set up in our green room.

xX21APPE814W6BHorinUbD9Ili_KK0sAiwX-fWVp_Vi9datMBWswE894aBphBYMkis34RhXS5pWWsFu7Hw=w1024-h576-no.

This was the view from our room as we dined.

t1TBzUAP7uB8WelQvwIi7jHrkkdA4sYdYLHlAZMHH74Fg3LYpCSGavhW2EEfDeSxUr2odK_w8OtW4VCVBA=w1024-h576-no.

We started with a really nice salad, and a selection of cookies for dessert.

-Hbf8eviqzhLzFk8pkE5QQGzHtYpbOFCbZ6XKVpfTPi-vSF51C_BeAEMrBawYCzMAcypN4hEnFXzGkYHJw=w1024-h576-no.

For our entre we had a grilled half chicken with veggies and mashed potatoes. This chicken was not rubber. :)

T3SCLyPTdCQHZt3pJ8G-_WsgVEfe3TjoLngGKP2aJriSyZ10tt13ITQ4ZmsD2hFIz3uxxWBs1YxJJ7jvTA=w1024-h576-no.

Here's the "stage" as we get ready to play our dinner set.

SdikTe3G5qhWDc7dlWhlqgLIVhlQBtg3Ynb9h6ZTvhduEumw-yFAbOhVZGUspIhkE5Wf5_e01UGWn80O9A=w1024-h576-no.

We play a mellow set while our patrons drink, socialize, talk about their golf scores, and have their own buffet.

C2gdE4nGRUEpgorN20w24M9GyWaThL_67xGKFAVXMZieYfUq7yjUSkjtUaGrCBuNfA_xg3e6umSNlVGUgA=w1024-h768-no.

On our break we take a moment for a glam shot.

Q5GcA77IOsR1eq_RV2v4MR1oNxo_O5H74PJidrTntZ_dbwmdn5TQhekITeUMHkocyEgg0rT1yqXXwcc1Ew=w1024-h768-no.

I'll be back to finish the gig in the next post. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Crusher47, mwbonsall, Mike N and 10 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

During our dance set, Jack took a couple of pictures from behind, where he had set up the mixer.

8JgLH4dmVB3ESQfwBCYazY2RWhwqa0iLZ4HEs0WjO3iTEVpbJ6ixU0QaVpPYFKZ2C6qArPh9LU1dM9vbag=w1024-h768-no.

I said, "Kelly, look!"

V7J86dp1bhVpCVKYtQ8zSXiNtyV6u0n-Otke1tlu9wRchZVPgBWANUbZRyYyWXp6ucij4lNNAqOEHwVnWg=w1024-h768-no.

We were just a high paid human jukebox. But I'm not complaining.

1T_2v0MvCjr5dRzqZweBcQHUY9DXfiQ6XoDi9fMB7Xj05R_waW7WEISlZNcBmbdipL_O1wrP__g60wkGWg=w1024-h768-no.

I managed to take an action shot from the stage with my phone.

[​IMG]

We had a few dancers towards the end of the night, after they had gotten a little lubricated. Sorry for the lousy phone picture.

pGBRa_pSnLz6Esuqr9w6l4iAB4dqqaOqDtL1vzG3l5r7xR4ogN4xL7KyLp0gIQ6C9IENSjR1y8lax07aNg=w1024-h576-no.

There wasn't much room to dance but they had their fun. They even sang along to "Sweet Caroline", one of my big hits.

We were scheduled from 6-10pm but at 9:00 we were told to pack it in. Nobody complained.

lqUu4fWiQ-afZ7cqpZaJaJAIlew5L9A-Hn9KyRbEls6A7XRLQkBPknnXiiE_xiEDUMV__rUpnrSvlAI0vA=w1024-h768-no.

I was loaded out, even helped with the PA, and was on the road to home at 10pm. It was a pretty cushy gig except for the 90 mile drive to and from the club. But our benefactors made it worth our while and it was actually kind of fun playing quietly.

I'll be back with my Saturday gig, a backyard wedding reception in Laguna Niguel, well, more like Laguna Hills because it wasn't that close to the beach. Anyway, be sure to share your gigs too! Thanks for putting up with mine!

BassCliff

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. Appreciate that you take the time to document all sizes and configurations of gigs, Cliff. Also enjoy the positive attitude you bring to every gig report. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Chuck

4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Looks like fun.

Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Thanks for those food shots.... Such a small place to setup, I'm surprised they didn't settle for a DJ at that venue. It was like you said .. you were a human jukebox ;)

6. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Excellent report! (As usual...) It's nice to see that even the KRB still has to make do, playing in a spot that's not really ideal for you! (As in "Excuse me! Coming through!!") I'm sure you guys all kind of laughed it off, figuring you could use a break once in a while!! Looked like a very nice place, though.

dbase, Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You play perdy places with perdy food and a perdy girl. That's all I have to say about that.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Looks like the only thing missing from your drummer's kit was a cowbell. :D
    Keep on a rockin' the country Cliff!

9. Good times!

dbase, Fat Freddy and BassCliff like this.
  10. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I would love to hear what Mario did with that little kit. He's as scalable as anybody else from the looks of things, but what he does on a kit that's so stripped down has to be different from what he does with a much bigger kit. Playing without a drummer at all (and no drum machine or tracks) is a whole lot of fun when you are in a small room like that, too. But we would miss Mario in the write up, so there you have it.

dbase, BassCliff and Fat Freddy like this.
  11. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    You guys are pros, you can make any gig turn out great. I have experienced being 'a low paid human jukebox' plenty of times.

Mark

BassCliff, dbase and Fat Freddy like this.
  12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Cliff... please hold off the food shots for now .. I'm on a much needed "Lean 13" Nutra System diet and don't need any REAL food temptation... I'll let you know when you can resume.. You can still continue the chicks shots. Thanks, Bill ;)

BassCliff and Fat Freddy like this.
  13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Well....I, for one, disagree with the first part of this post!...:D

14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Thank you. I've been really feeling the need to play a dive bar. I like to do that once in a while do keep my "dive bar cred" and get back to my roots.

For a gig like that you sort of have to "preach to the choir" so that band has fun with each other, there is so little feedback from the crowd. But that's fun too, lots of smiles between us. :)

We've been booked for this gig for a while. Originally it was supposed to be in their clubhouse, a much larger venue. But the clubhouse has been torn down in order to build an even bigger clubhouse. Everyone was very nice and honored the commitments that were made.

We didn't mind the serving staff walking through the band. They kept it at a minimum and were very polite. It was much better than some places I've played where all the customers had to walk through the band to get to the restrooms. :sorry:

Thank you. It was a perdy nice gig. :p

I'm sure Mario had a cowbell in his bag somewhere. But I've never seen him play without at least one rack tom.

Indeed! An enjoyable evening despite the long drive. Thanks.

You know, I didn't notice much different with the "feel" of the band that evening. Mario played everything that had to be played to lay it down and keep the groove. There was one spot in one song where Mario plays a transition between sections ("Mountain Music" by Alabama) that uses four quarter notes on different drums (beat 1=snare, beat 2=high tom, beat 3=low tom, beat 4=kick drum) to lead the band into the up-tempo fiddle solo. That was a little weird. But we survived. :thumbsup:

Awww, thanks! :laugh:

Me too. If you're going to be a jukebox, it's more fun to be a high paid one, expensive sonic wallpaper. :D

I've taken so may low paying gigs just because the food was great. Sometimes that's the best part of the evening. Besides, just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu.

I'll keep the food shots coming. ;)

BassCliff

kojack and Fat Freddy like this.
  15. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Great pics as always