1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/[email protected] City Camellia Festival 02/20/15(Now w/VIDEO!!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Feb 21, 2015.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

It seems too long since I've posted a gig report. It's been at least a month since I've worked with Kelly. We'll be getting busier as we move into summer. Thank goodness, I'd rather be playing. ;)

We played the first night of the Camellia Festival, an annual occurrence in Temple City at Temple City Park. As I turned onto Las Tunas Drive it was right there in my face!

CzpvOxcmm5W8buZjMmMXmTE90PLQB3RuiMU6_zlIT2I=w943-h707.jpg

The street was blocked so I had to go around the block and find our parking lot by the library.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-019.jpg

Ha! Look at me, Mom! I'm an entertainer! ;)

The parking lot wasn't too awfully far from the stage area. You can see the pavillion (large gazebo) just to the left of center behind the trees.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-005.jpg

Art was first on the scene. We found the stage already set up and waiting for us. The sound company, Mystic Mountain Sound, was very professional and very nice to work with. Dave, the owner, is a bass player so he took good care of me. :)

KRB-TempleCity-022015-002.jpg

Dave brought lots of JBL speakers. You see JBL monitors on the stage. He used MRX mains, the 2x15 top and 1x18 sub.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-003.jpg

Here's the sound and lighting consoles, Alan&Heath mixers and a rack of EQs.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-004.jpg

Dave took a recording off the board and was playing it after our show. It sounded pretty dang good, warts and all. I'm hoping to get a copy soon so I can share a bit.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-013.jpg

He also had a rack full of Crown amps.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-012.jpg

Since this was a smaller show, Dave brought only half of his gear. With his full compliment of gear Dave could cover an audience of 2000. (By the way, Dave has a '66 Fender bass for sale, I can't recall if it's a P or J. He doesn't want to use it on gigs any more because it's worth too much.)

Here's Art checking his mic.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-006.jpg

Mario is setting up his drums. I hope he brought his cymbals tonight.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-007.jpg

I brought my usual rig and basses.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-008.jpg

In the background you see Oscar. He was a very cool and helpful dude. We had a nice chat about gear and music.

Art brought his sparkly salmon-colored Deluxe Reverb. It's a pretty amp.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-009.jpg

The is the sound company proprietor, Dave, helping Daniel get his gear mic'd up.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-010.jpg

A view from behind as we finish our setup.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-011.jpg

Be sure and watch where you step!

KRB-TempleCity-022015-014.jpg

Here's Kelly and I just before we start our first set.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-015.jpg

Art and Daniel are ready to have some fun.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-016.jpg

Jeff is starting to look quite distinguished in his facial hair.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-017.jpg

We played an hour for our fist set then took a break. We were given a couple of vouchers for food and drinks at the catering booths. For Mr. dbase, I enjoyed a nice pastrami sandwich and coffee.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-018.jpg

After a 15 minute break we came back for another 45 minute set and called it a night. The crowd wasn't huge but they had fun clapping and dancing and singing along. It was a pleasant evening in the mid-50s. There was none of that white stuff on the ground like I see in so many Facebook pictures. ;)

Path?filePath=%2fDocuments%5cContent%5c59%5c226%2fss-CamelliaFest-carnival_201408041403226213.jpg

I hope all of your weekend gigs go well. Have fun. Stay warm and safe. Please share your good times and music. I'd love to have a look. I'm sure others would too. Take care.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks for sharing BassCliff, looks like you had a great time!

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thanks for looking! Yes, it was an easy, fun gig. Here's one more stage pic taken by Dave, the sound guy.

U3gEO5WCLWygqZgvkkNPIkn9zLYJtPTNpvIlSLErxFs=w943-h707-no.jpg

BassCliff

mwbonsall, s0c9 and vmabus like this.
  4. Have to be honest, as a gigging musician, I love these pic sets, but I stared at that pastrami sandwich for like five minutes.

Nothing I've ever received via food ticket has compared to that.

Not yet, Haji, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  5. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Next time you see Dave tell him to put down the crack pipe. No way would double the rig he brought be enough for 2000. :rollno: It looks to me like he is running out of headroom with the rig he brought. Notice on the board pic Kelly's vocal slider is all the way up.

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. modulusman,

I must say, you are a continual source of amazement. Thanks for looking.

BassCliff

nutdog likes this.
  7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I'm with Treadstone, I must have stared at that juicy sandwich for at least 10 minutes.. Nice Italian roll, soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. Nice chew with plenty of flavor. Cole Slaw and chips would go good with that. Great gig pics,
    keep' em coming Cliff. Drooling stopped.

KRB-TempleCity-022015-018.jpg

Treadstone71 and BassCliff like this.
  8. OldManMusic

OldManMusic Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Centennial, CO
    I love all these pics you share. I'm curious, what's the stomp box in your signal chain?

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thank you. That's just a tuner, Boss TU-3. I used it more to switch between basses easily/silently. I normally tune with a Snark on the headstock.

BassCliff

10. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am from Pgh so I would put the slaw and some fries ON the sandwich!

BassCliff likes this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Yellow mustard like that would be replaced by coarse brown mustard, as long as we are critiquing the pastrami sandwich. You need a dill spear on the side, just to make good and sure something dribbles onto your clothes. Pastrami is likely enough, but a dill on the side makes it inevitable.

I have been having BassCliff gig story withdrawal! Good to see you back on stage and posting about it.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

Oh, you guys! Maybe I should start a food report thread? :D

There were a bunch of good looking food trucks there that night but our vouchers were good only for the food booths run by the various community clubs. It all looked good. But I do love me some spicy mustard! ;)

I'm still waiting to hear from the sound guy to get some recording of our performance. If I'd known he was recording I would've played better. :p

BassCliff

13. WannabeBassman

WannabeBassman

Jan 17, 2015
    San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles)
    Someone told me pants are optional.
    Gotta say:
    BassCliff, you are my hero. :hyper: I look forward to every thread you make about your gigs, and smile every time I come across a post you happen to drop in other threads.

I've been lurking here for over a year, and only signed up because there was a deal I couldn't refuse in the classifieds. (Thank you, D Bopp)

But I disagree about the sandwich. :mad:

It just isn't proper, in that venue, unless it has a cylindrical piece of extruded animal protein (aka: "hot dog") in the bun.

And coffee? Ugh! Talk about a beverage that holds promise in the smell but never delivers on taste. :vomit:

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, this being these new fangled internets and whatnot, the first half of this post was perfectly serious, and the second half was poke to the ribs.

Oh darn, that makes three parts to this post. I guess everyone is going to have to figure it out for themselves now. ;)

BassCliff likes this.
  14. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

You are too kind. :)

I do enjoy a good dog on occasion, like Pink's whenever we get near downtown LA. For me, even bad coffee is good. Slice me off a cup! :woot:

BassCliff

15. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Wish I knew, I live in Temple City, would have come checked out the band and met BassCliff!

BassCliff likes this.
  16. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Well, drat! That would've been cool. I did post a notice in the "Check in" here... thread. Feel free to check our schedule on the website. We'll be playing quite a few concerts in the park this summer. I hope you get a chance to come out. It would be nice to meet you. Where are you playing? Let us know. :)

BassCliff

Garret Graves likes this.
  17. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    vmabus likes this.
  18. Kamikaze3955

Kamikaze3955

Oct 16, 2013
    Panora, Iowa
    Very nice!!!!!

BassCliff likes this.
  19. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    nice recording Mr. BassCliff

BassCliff likes this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Gentlemen, thank you very much. For everyone else who didn't want to download a 39M wav file, here's something a little more manageable. I converted the wave file to an mp3 and made a little video with a bunch of pictures from previous gigs. I hope you like it.

If you like, I'll convert some more audio and share the good stuff. We were a little rusty at this gig. :oops: :bored: :confused: o_O

BassCliff

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    lgrankin and calfroper like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021