BassCliff w/True Willie, Jacksonville Florida, 9/26/17-10/2/17(Video added!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

Oh, it's my pleasure. Thanks for checking in. :)

Thank you, sir. We're fixin' to head out to the venue in a bout an hour for the first show of the day, a 1:15 matinee. The later show is the regular 7:50 downbeat.

Thank you both for your service. My Dad was in the Navy CBs, one brother in the Navy, and another brother also in the Air Force. They all had longer military careers than I did. I just wanted to get out, grow my hair long, and play music. Looking back I should have taken advantage of more of the opportunities the military offered. But I was young and dumb.

Before I leave, I wanted to share my breakfast with Mr. @dbase, a couple of cheese omletts, four or five sausage patties, (I couldn't resist the) biscuits and gravy, with coffee and apple juice. It's going to be a long day so I thought I'd stock up.

Uh7sdhUTK1h8oHWLxgi5p43mSVTP3WKk8tlFmJV9c7UYYp4APUmjWstyzCX3PX6Z4FKe2zPQgTgh0Xy1js=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We are now catching the outer rim of the hurricane out in the Atlantic. It's going to be raining pretty hard today and tomorrow.

dhWgXV6kvttaTAnwauFKGpflv-FXyxqgvLo4T3Zfm8qfCHmoeNyjGc1xgdOUgXgdZUywk0HrNi2376KRZE=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Thanks for looking! Please share your gigs too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

OCDave, dbase, BurnOut and 5 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hello friends,

Thanks for tagging along on my little trip. We had two shows on Saturday, a matinee at 1:15 and the evening show at 7:50. Here's some pictures of the backstage area. This is a 50 year old facility but it has all the comforts of home. Two bathrooms with showers, four dressing rooms with sinks and lots of lighted mirrors, etc. There is also lot of memorabilia on the walls.

DUexeh9OMhNSWhrI99Hqx3rDZ4jC_ZanAPYDMehDEJhfdh7-7JBYzxHUCglNk9O9Vu0WNnHk9njGsfw2jU=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I noticed a couple of rather big names, Cindy Williams and Lisa Whelchel.

9wEN5Fl93UE0zYUEQSp2GUEeJ6qBQHvCdzXsTDVk-WO1WchPzrjJJugWt9gEO3zg48zlxpCnceOYsI896w=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I wonder if Ms. Whelchel wore the same costume as Goldie Hawn did in the movie? ;) Here are a couple of poster boards with memories of past productions.

sJG-LbOalzcBCnb4EYD5g7RJYYPYq3LTRs_h0BBZPMU66urFLItEd21ANhfZjriGwDJN3RVXHF75J-yG4Y=w1200-h900-no.jpg

qTkpW3tQ23O19gW_7udBP9SCDgdhL6RJMnp06FMyy5UJQyOJPA7zxXzzEkTpS1VMqCV1Xl4yVTI9kq2X20=w1200-h900-no.jpg

The is the common area just before you go backstage. The office is behind that mirror.

wjGlI9xxAwTuMXrw-VG9rSKF8FAQEsl_jH4-hXumJCcvpkNciolcGdvib22iSwGVlA4NXOoMsbUCbO_Br4=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Someone left us some notes.

I_NSTaFmaIwEHWceXd2yDKlTrSRuvvGBk2-tE2Uz54sR422vWRS-4BXxWRKv2eAbbvWzwcotzGrm5ZCNFk=w1200-h900-no.jpg

This was my favorite sign backstage.

TCWUOs0BD4IGzfWFpYnhb8nQ5Ceh7_Av8NegWKWB9v5X3DjifEmbWFFS876YhtoFinGD5gqHrCkHwyNzAs=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I managed to snap a couple of pictures of Reba's good side at the matinee. She brought the house down.

jwe5tvMIKl3TMFEiqvXJ-9ke7Y9HzBylLMgIIwc_e5P8MQPkWw6LIBcN9u4PgN27hPlkcEqk25MCVpwVbU=w1200-h900-no.jpg

HP4clqnMHh6fyZlcNhytbSQu02gRN0CZQjkKOppck_fWRL6W_e-zgoPIMS5DWXHTcjmcQ_hbZYGYeCzIRQ=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then just before Willie came on I grabbed photos of the band. Here's Mike and Dave.

0cc4DCrEP9loHId6CyB_D2fBdbw6TgSi7mgWcPA8mK3EEWi4uSxHPH49-eIfXSEgcX13oyVsuxSWXcRc1g=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Here's Mr. Johnny Fingers.

QA1FsKlmtYR8vwe8GKE7DwkuqbD5cCDqkES4G5rKpfMhm-z6HMRw8ofFhmnF9ryDq0_DQat6k0GeBvYOLc=w1200-h900-no.jpg

And, of course, the bass player never gets good lighting.

e1CmrdIhjx1PRvYkuvan-pk4vjmQKPD_WQXVB9caIguw9QUB8WhdN_yYLqvlLUanhPZ7micDaYRL31HCzU=w1200-h900-no.jpg

After the show we all go out to the lobby for some meet-and-greet. These folks here are just wonderful. It's a pleasure talking with them and getting to know them a bit.

T-BP0PDvkj8BK3cks3fxxlLSN9UyGZaP0_Ervc7DE_UfNdcmM9ySZ0UuXmkvO5e05YVg-HxzKCBTuP3bZI=w1200-h900-no.jpg

ROegKHeGhGKb6xI7dvOwAQjdsph0X2pkGgzxHTlBEJ8Ti-MDZO7aAZau3qPkO6Efqa_QtRJcGPDNcYeAyE8=w709-h945-no.jpg

After the matinee we all head back to the hotel for a quick shower and change. Well be back for an evening performance in a couple of hours.

miCQ3r421DtOtbXatB7f9q7AvVZHrTjzge9XWZb-7p3XUtp7MNtGzWY8hm3ohMDRl3KBqxml7MUHIE0SdY=w1200-h900-no.jpg

OK, that's it for now. We're about to leave for our last show of the engagement. I'll share a few more pictures before we leave. Thanks for looking!

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    ELG60, OCDave, dbase and 8 others like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Congratulations, sir!! A job well done! You know, I gave some serious thought to driving down to JAX to meet you, and hear True Willie and all, but it's just bit too far for an old coot like me. Thanks again for the posts, have a safe trip back to CA, and oh, by the way..... your bass strap is way too long. Try it with the bass touching your chin! ;)

nixdad, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

We've finished up the show here in Jacksonville and had a wonderful time. The last performance was a Sunday matinee. Here I'm just stepping on to the elevator to meet the car at the appointed time.

fKek1WEgIckpVKgnI23hZXW-CuRkqmvAZZI89douecLGwP5Duc-Y4D_VTO-diOZmVKGCrotV_81mlwNTBE=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I meet up with John, Bob, and Mike in the rainy weather.

tlAXaCyyHeJpGz17GGCA5ZD6OtSEwqXMZi4qvw7uQWiHkbUk5UpfgEyIdpchkj5fqX36DGg9ViBxfMkmxs=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Our coach has arrived.

f6rUCUxg2l2PrXw1V4aM1nVf4oXRPbkuGOVm4vfzrfvYxtUhw-qHJJdu4AWFCxJCsyaVtAQY3mqp7968dI=w1200-h900-no.jpg

This is the smoked ham chowder that I had for supper last night. I forgot to take a picture of my roasted vegetable pita. Sorry Mr. @dbase.

3S4VMSkHQbhypVtJ3qbN-Sv6-pxoXgHdZ3Crj9za9oTWlb7MXR3bWXrOnfj_Ce_EkcbLwDNqMT98pOJb7s=w1200-h900-no.jpg

One of the owners, Bill, does the announcements and introduces the band.

TjqABJ7RJ_t-q8kf0yC7HrfMBcSKuUfNllT3MFgqHxePFi2CWLRix4wmsa1Kt6XcLGWBtrL4digHFJASag=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Saturday after the late show John and I visit a cigar bar and perform manly feats of smoking and drinking.

gqFNK94h9am1237UJ6Mo-UWhBwB6AT75XKFtmwA5LmS5yW4_UmUtlesYqrzZp5azWCH2ro02R31_-KaNeo=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Then we have the munchies something terrible so we split a dozen pack of Krystal Burgers (similar to White Castle).

8ERNgFoCNiI0FLtBzK9EB1ECpI3mBYHRUmpsZQ5q7fDKZi9EUc4I0A3UjI75EVBujv48IFKf2parBgdVKs=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Yes, we ate them all.

C0g5jQb1VTt2kobFblr_E1V1CQ2mGWe-EoCie9ewnoXcWitWOlfygwuQKALfD3l22k9HuZlWqn9wHQKBZw=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Early the next afternoon we are back at the Alhambra Dinner Theater for our last show.

SzKtgrLlrwSR1dD4xoCLjAtGVf93O74zJ-qr3D5ZaxJ-EkPqjzhKxKY8moHfJ-FxTT18LQr2nz-6eySrlg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We had the house on its feet and everyone, even the band, had a great time. This are just a few random shots of us winding down after the last show. Here are the lyrics, set list, and notes that T-Willie and Reba had taped to the floor.

r4B1qf9jy-2xc2oi15zI6ObRhfZSTxZSpsO72WOwLjdmVY-dFOLzLoJxALbuzFu7cwMK4nW2OcmyhpkMuE=w1200-h900-no.jpg

The set list and notes that I used all week.

bQGDmOlTfr-28622cjPNhz52a6VvPzw7XkMgRLESqi7fKfZVAtFHQqQcysTf2rJiXVG-RtjXN_yWgT_jLE=w1200-h900-no.jpg

The crew starts taking down the backline and getting the stage ready for the next show. I think it's Addams Family.

E6EzX95iLUVVRrxgug5YIzAspgz1m5C0esjiyKHvKScv8m9Fl1ytaYyVirf1eGXXKBDZ_KKBVEIwNPCuO4=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Debra and I take one more selfie before we say our goodbyes.

_IMQDjvroiCX5YA57hKn-NpRdtrwS4ta_6RAgh8H5U7dXfEziubHyC9DBtbsZZWrzL8mj2Q4i8jPeCbzfg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I don't have to be a roadie on this gig. Pretty cool.

Kv_-tQwXoB0u_C96X_4QkMBpCT5QPE4dt8mB5zN0eBNfd3DFNu0dmUsxCUAn4wso81hllLIA6u5BxmqlEc=w1200-h900-no.jpg

Gary, one of the owners, treats us to a cold one before we leave the house.

J1KB3jffP8uAywNJucc7vhpjpdEEZixSjwt4sj9TzUOwVoStHd7WzKssCxeuwUax16n4X8L9kk4xlQCmCQ=w1200-h900-no.jpg

We load up a few instruments and make our way back to the hotel before we all go out for one last dinner together in Jacksonville.

gXMs3X-MTNbos1lWGCQhaoHvf2a54WisVl-w8pOl-pr_nv8fji5Z0i0pJ-jzTQmzTbenUG4wvBhZxSTT0Y=w1200-h900-no.jpg

I've got a few more tonight in the next post. Thanks for looking!

BassCliff

Bassed in NZ, OCDave, Mike N and 9 others like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

These are some miscellaneous shots taken during the week at the meet-and-greet sessions.

NYaBz3l4lqyno1qx3LIlz8nsYnisjCMwdcODrmvSni44S0QyAnh_puJtmcy0a7UR7jWoMQwllCVWWotu0kg=w709-h945-no.jpg

WnKQ3m47iK1nVZdBxxh1YK9P6wlLQgWBESuTBkKTdx5Ggr8W7L4iaOCkXRI4pWO1YpKiU7xl3B8XQQ7dOE=w1200-h900-no.jpg

OnR0nprndemn_z4LQUsQAOsnrFG7yzzw36QC4itf7XJw_rPwoFU-kW1i7XD_NxYxMUwMxx2w2A3A88KISk=w1200-h900-no.jpg

aCntD6dNxmYIInFBXu_tQycp3jW3arsgNBBE9z0nIIJlVXfG1AidEz6vJxoMgYHLQE1qbA1lGtz-9nlOjg=w1200-h900-no.jpg

9vzV7-kAhZqwa9EeoOMHB-iBq2A9_g-6Mt2qP6ClIWlA3rrMpTV7vn2CztqUulqOQTvklh7HctuRTqf0hwM=w709-h945-no.jpg

YosPfyHsMROBR8vAsovul9G5MqTzVDyEdcQtRPmJJwtFkPBz8R3rOyut2KA-5p3BGHCOp-baSA482I1AfRM=w709-h945-no.jpg

I've got more pictures but our car is taking us to the airport in about five hours, at 4:20AM, so I'm going to take a little nap. Thanks so much for sharing this week with me. I found out that a TB member, @Shinbone, attended one of the shows this week. I would've loved to have met him but I guess his friends were in a hurry. Maybe next time, ok?

BassCliff

ELG60, Mike N, DirtDog and 9 others like this.
  6. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Thanks so much for sharing the week with US Cliff. I know we all enjoyed being along for the ride. :)

Have a safe trip home. :thumbsup:

nixdad, dbase, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  7. That was fun!

I miss doing road gigs like that. I was in an Irish band that played on the Queen Mary in Long Beach for the festival there. We had rooms on the boat, so it was a short walk to the gig. Flew in and out from LAX after the first year where the plane was late out of Long Beach to Phoenix and we missed our connection and got put up in Phoenix at a hotel by the airline. It's always an adventure.

McG, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Dear Mr Cliff,

A most triumphant road gig, coast to coast, very impressive. I had to Google up Loopy Vodka, fruit loops, haven't shopped for liquor in years. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is about my favorite beer in the whole wide world, what excellent taste you have. What is your cigar of choice? I enjoy the wacky flavors of Acid, specifically purple label Roam. Glad you came to visit us in EST zone.
    What a bummer I will be in Florida in 2 weeks, for fun not work. Just down the coast near Jacksonville, to bad I missed ya. We could of made awkward small talk, I could of weirded you out in person.
    Thanks for sharing a special bonus edition of your fabulous musician life.

Your Fan,
    BurnOut

Sore Thumb, McG, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  9. Shinbone

Shinbone Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Fleming Island, FL
    It was a great show here in Jacksonville. Cliff and the rest of the band were top-knotch! Still can't figure out how we was getting those fretless sounds from a fretted bass on a couple of those Reba songs.

BurnOut, McG, BassCliff and 1 other person like this.
  10. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that was a truly enjoyable and entertaining journey, Cliff. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

What a great week for you. Being a member of a killer band, having a residency at such a unique (backlined) venue for such an appreciative audience night after night is about as good as it gets.

McG and BassCliff like this.
  11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Very nice gig, thanks for bringing us along!

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  12. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Great report Cliff - glad you had a good time here! And I hope those Krystal burgers didn't mess up your gut!!

Raz

13. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Awesome gig report.. would have said so sooner.. but my home internet has been down all weekend!
    Apparently it came back up at 8:30 this am... and I'd already left for work !

14. Thanks for sharing your experience! I always look forward to the pictures and the stories that go with them. I love seeing how much you enjoy the adventure and the people. Safe travels home to your family. I can't wait for your next gig report.

nixdad likes this.
  15. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys!

We made it safe and sound. Thank you!

I'm getting to be such a snob. Fly dates are much more fun than touring on a bus. ;)

I tried a few different beers since I was out of town on an adventure. That cigar was one that John picked up at a cigar shop on St. George Street in St. Augustine where they are hand-rolled. It was a decent smoke. I would've enjoyed some awkward small talk. Maybe next time, OK?

I wish we could have made some awkward small talk too. I'm so glad you got to see a performance. The Reba show was a little bit rough because we were not used to working with her queues and timing, etc. But all of the shows were fun and enjoyable. It only got tighter as the week progressed. Hopefully you were there on a good night. ;)

A couple of times, when we closed with "God Bless The USA" and Reba joined Willie on stage to sing the second verse, the crowd would roar, everyone was standing and singing along, it literally brought tears to my eyes. They are such good, hard working, patriotic people who have been through a lot lately and I was glad to be somewhat entertaining and honor them with my feeble abilities. I'm sure we'll be back next year. The response was tremendous.

It's been my pleasure! Thanks! :)

Too bad we couldn't get together. It was a great time. Those burgers were tasty and really hit the spot.

Thanks! I've got a few more pictures to share of our last day there and the trip back, if you don't mind.

I'm home safe and sound. Thanks!

After our last show on Sunday afternoon we decided to have supper again at the Safe Harbor right there on the St. John's River. We enjoyed it so much the first night we wanted to go back.

sKISo6g_3IZLgoNpdywbhUIUs6GOtPi7CCS_jiEHgarpAFAFRdmRzhrPgaoQYWy5FnUA9MGG99YwbXmWo0=w1068-h801-no.jpg

There were so many choices, and they all were great.

Y0GVW87mUqSYglUhxacai1-BuMAZrKPoSvHnVfwYAcQxKSnMc5woue9HXRPa3Se65Gf7wuk6DQr9DxDpCE=w1068-h801-no.jpg

@fhm555, I remembered to ask about 'grouper throats' but they had no grouper that night. Here we are waiting on our supper while sitting on the back patio on this pleasant, but a little stormy, evening.

EQtmwwMRzBN_ygsnH1ZFv3X_zp8_DauWnCd7nScfY05cm_RljITbEoeUrCT2OBucT8SF-u1jCXbL256pY0=w1068-h801-no.jpg

This is the view of the river right out the back doors. It's really nice here. The water was really high due to the rain and tide, I suppose. When we left the restaurant the road was covered with more than a foot of water. It was a little spooky getting out of there.

189jKinhglYrLe2Voq9YK5OJjGzBKSOrm_5HaoHPnCWlna3osGasjbV3KolxMRp1xWKBIm7vzm117BmINw=w1068-h801-no.jpg

For Mr. @dbase, I had a 'catch of the day' choosing the blackened flounder. Those are the best hush puppies I've ever tried.

9zRqQjALYKLZuW1LrfmZ4etSWfXQDt2pmb-leVVaLJHd3rpvbserke2l8vVmYsD9IYy0Bm8UHuKoi1jKNU=w1068-h801-no.jpg

Then we went back to the hotel because our car was picking us up very early. We were a little worried about Bob and Corrie because they were flying back to Las Vegas. But I'm sure the airport was open by the time they got there.

I have to share this. Since I don't have an "airline worthy" piece of luggage that's good for a week, Mrs. BassCliff insisted that I take hers. I really didn't want to because of the color. I was afraid I'd be teased that it was too girly. But she said, "At least you'll be able to see it easily." True enough.

qAVC3xVak7P3TPuMzOEyvF0Tvai3RGg4Wb7ZQ4qpB9rdfBaarFft4sM6L3GJxS4p9y7vKcn2iXI1TRlLTtA=w315-h486-no.jpg

And then John shows up with HIS wife's suitcase.

q1UAbGMSoYWqRiLG-f8mLAxidHdBNwLMNJy1jvkMsfVXq2D9xiDkrw7F0Y7Xy0FkcOvK1y01p5Z5m3O3EEo=w496-h801-no.jpg

So I felt a little better. :smug:

Anyway, thanks to everyone for coming along. True Willie has another excursion to a local mountain resort, The Tudor House in Lake Arrowhead, in a couple of weeks. We'll be staying the night where Bugsy Malone used to hang out. This place is supposed to be haunted. How about that?

I also have some cell phone video from this gig. Let me edit it and put it up on the Youtubes so I can share it. Until then, keep it low!

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    mwbonsall, OCDave, Sore Thumb and 5 others like this.
  16. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Now THAT was funny :laugh:

It got me thinking. With T-Willie you will have many more fly dates. Perhaps we should start a Go-Fund-Me page so you can buy some decent travel gear ;) (John too from the looks of things :D)

nixdad, dbase and BassCliff like this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Another great adventure for y'all. Thanks for letting us ride along.

BassCliff likes this.
  18. Thank you @BassCliff . This report has been a fun diversion from a lot of awfulness and strife that's going on in the world right now.

Question: I'm no experience gig master like you but I was surprised at the floor wedge monitors. I expected IEMs at a higher-end place like a dinner theater.

Thanks again. I hope my work schedule is more cooperative next time you're playing in my end of Orange County.

McG and BassCliff like this.
  19. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thank you. It was tough to hear the tragic news about Las Vegas.

The Alhambra is celebrating its 50th anniversary. It's not a new place but it has all the comforts of home. The gear provided was really top notch and pretty new. I had no complaints. The floor wedges are quicker and easier to set up and dial in. Half of the band has never used IEMs and the other half doesn't like them. I like them but I'm just the bass player. ;)

BassCliff

Sore Thumb, mwbonsall and dbase like this.
  20. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

It just so happened that Dave's wife took some cell phone video. If the link doesn't work now it should as soon as it finishes processing.

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    ELG60, alembicguy, nixdad and 5 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021