BassCliff w/True Willie, Jacksonville Florida, 9/26/17-10/2/17(Video added!)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Sep 26, 2017.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice video.. My trio does that number... The part "To all the girls who cared for me... We add "You fill my life with STP" Nobody notices.. I like TW's never meet my wife... will have to use that. ;)

BassCliff likes this.
  2. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    When I first read what you wrote early this morning with my coffee in hand, but barely a sip yet, I thought you said "You fill my life with STD" at first.

I should have two rules for the Internet: never post until you finish the first cup of coffee for the day, and always stop when finishing the first beer of the evening.

Sore Thumb, McG and dbase like this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Thanks for the tip... I'll forward that to my singer ... changed to STD ;)

McG likes this.
  4. Very, very nice indeed. The harmonies were spot on. I may have to call you BassCliff Fancy pants! Awesome job.

nixdad, dbase, McG and 1 other person like this.
  5. BassCliff

BassCliff Suspended

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi guys,

T-Willie was on fire pretty much all week. His stories were spot-on, delivered well, and had the audiences in stitches. He would say things like "I was gonna call this song 'Stupid' but that didn't quite work out."..and then we'd launch into "Crazy". He would talk about a few of his less popular songs, "I'm So Miserable Since You Left It's Almost Like Having You Here", "If You Won't Leave Me I'll Find Somebody Who Will", and "If I'da Shot You When I Wanted To I'd Be Out By Now", silly stuff like that.

I've had to clean my keyboard and screen several times since joining this forum. :D

Thank you! "I may have been born just plain white trash, but Fancy is my name." ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad, McG and dbase like this.
  6. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    The tightness and comfortableness of the band is evident. Playing a gig every day will do that. An epic run for sure. :cool:

Funny, funny stuff. Glad I finished my coffee before reading. :laugh:

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff Suspended

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Grant,

The True Willie show is, indeed, very comfortable now and we are really having fun with it. The Reba show was a little rough at first but got really tight by Saturday afternoon. ;) There was a lot of talk about teaming up again for more shows. Corrie really liked the way the band sang with her. Bob Sachs, her husband, is a monster jazz bass player (you can tell by the way he plays country music) but he doesn't sing at all. I think our vocal prowess is the only reason they would want to work with us more. Corrie and Bob certainly have access to amazing players in their circle of friends in Las Vegas. Plus, Corrie liked our shirts. She usually works with bands that dress in all black.

You've heard T-Willie tell his stories and jokes. But he was really in great form last week. Hopefully you'll get to hear some of the new material in the future. We've only got a couple of gigs left this year but neither of them is in the OC.

But in the meantime, one of the crew send me some pictures he took on his iPhone. A few of them turned out really good. Let me share them to put the cherry on top of this thread.

This is Rick back in his younger days with a very young Bruno Mars. Rick was a great Elvis impersonator and was also in the movie "Leaving Las Vegas".

3L91gVTLmhlddvJBwvrKBW0pA8pYNIezUqDLglJe10Hn8DUacmrMCLxm2OmCkKITRv4Bj9XAw5l-WOAZAzo=w475-h633-no.jpg

The smiling bass player.

XJ8uhJ3iCLk0WwultZxLaBg6RIZkXFcCHNADRFUtzM5dUqov63eDum_ThXuf-CFQ1MfKSeZvNbBUF7-XSxg=w477-h633-no.jpg

The True Willie band puts on the show.

l94_qP8x2gi76Oc_yXDtL-XHKuFIjwGmMxRGefruNSZj3oH_rfbucVaog3SOuAS98vjsfkqfJNlNyhVLmH4=w640-h480-no.jpg

The Reba/Willie duet brought down the house every night.

q7iP3rEHxFrbZyo53_VUEMTi3LKSLfnzRX4fTcZp0wZidKE51hXGMG6U_XNshE0cc0mlDHXgQMXFESEn7_M=w640-h480-no.jpg

Reba out in the crowd having a good time.

wDPMWIHAO0XQJ8n8_qxASgr58CitogQTUnZ8iPPAbLf-as2JXLCl-Tnw3JzxamTnCtw0clcxNS8TUvZYRbU=w475-h633-no.jpg

The Reba show.

Meie3N3sDK8o_S0DEXhVjCjqfaMjhn7uVFaF0vcGEdGwJWXuyjewpFlPJttVlKaJyblR2isMyT7OJswTSZs=w844-h633-no.jpg

Debra with Reba doing the big duet "Does He Love You (Like He Loves Me)" which also brought down the house every night.

rBm5PEQy3Q-he-UYEICDkmFmZNqD81bGXJ1pYH2tPrJ6wofyi4s8d_Hz-eL4i6g_Q_Xwh8HaZMIX62R_nzI=w844-h633-no.jpg

Here's a nice one with Reba and Willie.

PCFgiBhAG2jENEALopsCAYL3ODNx0-LROYxW_asDYLcoVn8HrDQEmmV3TmS3vmh229syV2W7JuO8N6lrEQQ=w844-h633-no.jpg

Here we are with the stage, sound, and light crew. On the left is Spencer (lights), in the back are Luke (support) and David (lights), on the right is Andrew (FOH and monitors).

zGaPbYMQNtlxceHUiEA3yUwOA3H6rwa2qN7tQEA35IUxZ9mm5wKcjNbGmU-Uco_jcwgZe1H7JlmDnEqMyG0=w844-h633-no.jpg

Now Arnie is calling me to give me dates to fill in my empty calendar for the next three months. I thought I'd get a break, but NOOOoooo! ;) Hey, I'm not complaining. :p

BassCliff

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    ELG60, nixdad, OCDave and 4 others like this.
  8. Thanks for the video. "Get your own show"...ha! yes, I agree!

Follow up question...if you know and can say, how did True Willie & Reba get paired up? Did TW call the Sachs' or vice-versa or a third party contact both groups?

McG and nixdad like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff Suspended

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Dave,

The first time these two worked together it was under opposite circumstances. Reba had a gig and needed Willie for the show. But I don't know if it was a mutual friend/agent or a web search that got them in contact initially.

I know it was the truewillieband.com website that prompted the initial contact for our show at The Alhambra. The owners wanted a Willie show and Googled it. Then they asked T-Willie about a second act. Even though T-Wille can do a two hour show they wanted two acts with a small intermission, like their musical productions. I guess they know what their patrons want. We were sold out every night.

BassCliff

nixdad, OCDave and McG like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 16, 2021