1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BassCliff w/TW at Paradise Pier Hotel-Disneyland, 11/13/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Nov 14, 2018.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi folks!

Me and the True Willie Band played a corporate event at the Paradise Pier Hotel at Disneyland for CalCIMA. It was an annual awards banquet, a fairly typical corporate event. It started with a nice drive down the 57. I left early for the gig so there wasn't very much traffic. I ventured just south of the 91.

0bUuSNYrmMYBvMjhVDYYmofBxJzehbTpSyujZwrtkcwoSI4hJ7VPC3mJ2Ol26BeBU9VWTZ8odF1WjKqLPw=w1200-h900-no.

I pulled around to the ballroom to unload.

0_fVdgZOxLFGoF4rwupMN2WTcF0D7O2wjRJO7Q_WLBhRAFw_nSkKuSrYDq1J9F1ucsDZPTWR6q961nfy0Q=w1200-h900-no.

I found the sound crew already hard at work. We've worked with Chris and Rob many times.

fkcTSksYjNHg6igPsgOwiKVQEqiKaP4d5_ymihqd8mR7-irxsMEvz0yBL4jBs40TOAkup18r7Oh910pj4A=w1200-h900-no.

Chris is having fun doing the sound thing.

F1knpRjqIdY8Ow_9HOieQyZMm7YQRZOlEP9cSoF0j7aMUiAWkM03EehshdevzZFEyZxv2Y-5o4TuiaHS2Q=w1200-h900-no.

I tell you what, the carpet in this room looks like somebody made a mess on it. I think it's supposed to be a seashore with rocks and waves and stuff. This is Rob getting the FOH hooked up.

wGiZYdtKE9R9yYkZiVw-7kAS6ybQS3dFDinKrlvPpI4NTyT9ltDp8EzlIou7WlPa-JhUrEaC_QKHD_IgSg=w1200-h900-no.

While those guys were busy I wandered around the hotel and found a friend.

-D3YBi65b5F5qG969-1tvnkJF_NaP-BdMruLn4m6f8UYp_ORQRWmKfZXyEjwvjvDnTFG7OcUkcZAwT5r-ew=w732-h975-no.

Then I wandered back to set up my rig. Drummer Dave's monitor is bigger than my amp.

8cewbwOGqcLKUQI9twkhNE2l7hUWt2KHH6enZ7GYmuLeM4ZRM6G4EXd-UtLJYIBKcjtoS_2k8pSIuMXwcw=w1200-h900-no.

The rest of the band arrives and literally begins the setup dance.

VTjsPV2Zc_vhPbMNFlVed0UsUbFNcgUFsHOgaFmdxqvxuwroyq_OxfpZ0cNp67BNoRuvX7BY1siGWdB-MQ=w1200-h900-no.

Dave gets his papers in order before sound check.

CGWxsP-8jcq3Hf9jSGo1oHJDaF_9XJdeumBMynVEnA_89D8dALd-qidFkxmykogba5TW6NWb-bZH9PUc8g=w1200-h900-no.

TW gets a guitar lesson from Guitar Mike during sound check. We thought about changing an intro but TW didn't want to play an Db9b5 chord.

TSlMI6AHD1QpB4WwMvQAw7vJhfIq8w_O7K3n4UkrzXgJvt2JiWYFbdqSufF0UkDLzaO-k2DBMKDVMo-37w=w1200-h900-no.

Johnny Magic Fingers wants more kick and snare in his monitor.

wdclSfeBY0OPiDnlICBEoB5ssCcaZzJ_5hAU3SbzEGXKMHyq7tY2sBUGDxE-irimZgZEuJJdN7gm__D7Fw=w1200-h900-no.

Here's a sound check selfie for you with a view of FOH at the back of the room.

1PDUhqFCuz--WEiXGMAC4HlirBco84YS4OwkBHRRt1fKv0tccw9brbOpR4KzdpgHNyP9hEu2ae-O3iejcw=w1200-h900-no.

After soundcheck we retire to our green room and order from room service, compliments of the client. I had chicken piccatta.

m1BbFxqDvlbksPuD5TPRscTlOzK4WyMQC8qwD_vbSETwlzLJSCTxX_3U_wqzTsdmsDsIx0iFijZz4stgkg=w1200-h900-no.

After supper we still had a lot of downtime. These things always run late.

P2iMPAYwJQP6I4Anc9AXu-8rICvYVS3TivjBPsAekoYfWMjHA2mcg7pVpIT0bUHIm3kA2-42tI3q_Jm6sA=w1200-h900-no.

So we all went out to the lobby to take a picture with our new front man.

kLa14Ubd3f1crnkWOYJbKT91pBqmf97i9uVjecOz8cNQ0Y95S71c5U8jhmxv7myA2vhKWVO7e34fUKjiFg=w1200-h900-no.

This is the client, a bunch of good folks.

c1wqFkgxJmd-rRzE-I_SewWTc2LmDq5fD7bu9Jk_m8Q_GNplzXRRrr3WX0rdzX3XBqnFozg0Lm0j9fxk8wg=w732-h975-no.

Here's a shot of the room just before we go on. The emcees are finishing up their awards and announcements.

w_1JeniVGJMw9tXqOsVBsSfLQVGXNGruESb7sI5ybPOYPC4sCjs8TuXDv_TgIB1y5liUSEpjmsflN5jV3w=w1200-h900-no.

The show went by so quickly that I had time for only one quick shot. We had a few dancers but the crowd was more into drinking and schmoozing.

NRBX5VGxyJdOGk16FlGuxIJlwDsAY1a6V1rGoSXhMpqc5cKfkku5wkAtmgSNpmWh12RUqUhYluXjFeX6-g=w1200-h900-no.

After the show Stephanie and Gage wanted a picture with the band. Stephanie is the nice lady who hired us.

B4F03bblbAlj2H9zpSy1rBnhFKXzLy6M8dFFV2yhyq5TPQYMXhrZJBEFhYowjmS7O1EZaUMw3PrvRI3Jtg=w1200-h900-no.

Then we rocked the stage with our tear down dance. I was on my way home by 10:20pm, a fairly early night.

n02-MF5eAfbNMVCvmyJY6Jjk-u0oH3q14lhiu2UcBJ8tZHyv-z73WpcwoJ0wlVBu_S9VW2zu6UrHZBNJwg=w1200-h900-no.

Now I'm walking out the door to head back down there to play at Downtown Disney with the ANB. Then tomorrow we're leaving for Vegas and a weekend at Gilley's. It's a busy week for this old bass player. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. Nice report, everything is always so professional on your gigs.

But yeah, that carpet is hideous!

3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Atta Boy, Cliff!! (In other words, thanks for posting so quick on this busy week for you!!). Those "corporate" gigs were never as much fun as the clubs, at least for us. I liked it when dancers danced, you know?? But, hey. Helps put bread on the table. Onward and upward!

portpc, Fat Freddy, nixdad and 4 others like this.
  4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Reminds me how much I miss corporate/ballroom gigs. Always fun to live vicariously through your gig reports.

5. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Corporate gigs always have the best food .. The audience consists of company employees and after they eat they just want to bolt out the door and go home. At our last corporate gig we put together a bunch of new songs that the audience likes and they didn't want to leave... we had to dig into our songbook and do an encore.

6. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Yeah, Kelly and Amanda... Not Willy ;)

Fat Freddy, nixdad, BassCliff and 3 others like this.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice gig, @BassCliff . Easy money. I won't be able to visit this weekend. :( I'm leaving tomorrow night on an 11 day trip. Don't feel like dragging the Bass around for 11 days, so I'm taking a Uke, I've had for a few years. Got a 3 chord songbook and will try to annoy the neighbors in the hotel. I'm jonesing for a Bass Uke now. :laugh: When will you be up in Dec?

8. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Hi Cliff,

Not a bad way to earn a few bucks and get some good food.

Even though there were few dancers I bet the crowd enjoyed TW. Really more of a concert band anyway, as opposed to ANB who usually gets the line dancers groovin' :)

Yeah, you are pretty busy for a senior citizen. Don't forget your Geritol. :D

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Busy busy man. Don't work too hard. lol

nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  10. There’s Cliff...... and then there’s everybody else......

scuzzy, Jimmy4string, kobass and 4 others like this.
  11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    That carpet reminds me of my first marriage: done on a dare. Other than that, looks like a solid gig. Looking forward to the next gig report as always. I have a sub gig coming up this weekend so I’ll be sure to post a report myself.

nixdad, McG, BassCliff and 2 others like this.
  12. Ain't that the truth? As a general rule we get free tap beer and soda at our gigs.

Cliff sets the unattainable bar again! :smug:

13. Right???? I will post a gig report around Christmas - we have a nice and much needed break right now. It will pale compared to Cliff :D

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Room service? ROOM SERVICE? Jeez...:rolleyes:

BassCliff, McG and Fat Freddy like this.
  15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    These 3 quotes couldn't be more on point.
    Another good one, Cliff!

16. We play next Sat and if it wasn't for two 90 degree turns you could probably see the bar from my house! Probably no travelling pics from that one!

McG, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  17. Good times with Oat Willy FT Goofy
    That carpet is an interesting pattern :)

BassCliff and McG like this.
  18. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Great report, as always, Cliff! Room service for the band?!?! You are living in some kind of alternative universe, Cliff...seems like the corporate gigs I've played, the band had to load in through the kitchen, right past the smelly trash dumpsters, and maybe were allowed to eat some meatballs and chicken wings off the buffet after all the guests were served. I need a new booking agent!

19. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Or your truss....:wideyed:

20. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Cliff
    Pro band... organized , on time and having fun!The vibe of the 'lead' man is really cool.. a cool dawg:)

Thanks again for a first class gig report!

BassCliff, Fat Freddy and McG like this.