1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASSCORE a new genre CHAPMAN STICK METAL

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lead Bass Band, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hello everyone Its TKO DETROIT and id like to tell ya bout a all new bass deal. I play in MINDROUGHT, a self proclaimed LEAD BASS group. 12 years 5 discs. Well we recently aquired a national producer and finally got our sounds to tape the way it should be... We decided to go big time with our sound and now we are the world's only BASSCORE band. Bass leads every song, plays harmonies and there are no rules for bass. CHAPMAN STICK in a metal band. FRETLESS all over the place. Introducing 23 yeard old bass prodigy PHELAN YOUNG. im asking for some comments on the genre and wants to know who's next?

www.reverbnation.com/mindrought

by the way we just played ROCKAPALOOZA!

2. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    that's cute, the music isn't bad, but I don't think any music journalist would have described you as "basscore" themselves. I hope you're not promoting yourself as a lead bass band as most metal audiences won't care.

Concentrate more on the music and less on the label.

3. weve been promoting ourselves as lead bass for 12 years, that aint gonna change but thanx for listening

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Great stuff man... I am still listening to it. I now am hearing "us" and like it very much.
    :) I like it, thumbs up.

I agree with jordak, don't label yourself.

My danocore band never took off.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    This should be posted down in "Recordings", not in "Basses"

6. sorry im new here and didnt know where to go

7. listen i understand the label thing i just hope your all happy that i made a band where the bass is the king and the guitar is wimpy second. Just trying to be different in the oversaturated music world. hope you all understand and dont hate too much...lol

8. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    No hating man. I applaud your project.

About labeling sugbenres... that is just subjective.

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Bookmarked for some more listening later. Heard the first two songs...very cool! I'm not really a fan of the "basscore" label (or anything with the word core in it really) but this stuff sounded good.

Just so you know there aren't very many metal fans on this forum, at least compared to everything/everyone else.

10. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I do think you have quite a talented bass player, but unless you want to call this band "the Phelan Young" project, you should talk up your collective sound rather than his individual prowess. It is cool to hear a metal band incorporating fretless, chapman stick, etc...but the vocals, guitar, and drums sounded equally important to me in the mix.

11. thank you point well taken

12. BY THE HANDS OF MAN is a bass showcase

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its good music but it doesnt strike me as bass guitar oriented. Certainly not any more then one might concider Dream Theater as bass guitar oriented band. Similiar bass playing talent imo. But the basses voice is just to old school allmost like half rounds or even flats on fretless. I think freteed bass would help improve the sound myself. Perhaps some rotosound swing 66 or dr neons to bring some needed agression and more modern its bass guitar music of today, to it. The pups on the 4 string are certainly capable of a more agressive, crunchier voice so its not them imo. Anyway good music that has nice balance of guitar and bass and drums to it. Guitars the dominant lead instrument in both voice char and what its doing imo. Not a bad thing at all. But to be bass guitar oriented band Id improve the basses voice to be more modern and agressive. As is the music isnt any heavier bas guitar wise then most of the black/death/prog music I listen to. It has a certaijn dullness that hurts the intended/stated music goal to me which is a shame cause it is very good playing skill shown. Btw listened to the stuff on both links with Beyer Dynamic DT700 pro headphones.

14. thank you for your honesty

15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Wow! Where's all that passive aggression coming from? That's pretty harsh.

16. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    I couldn't really hear the bass, so not sure what this is about.... The solo's sound a bit weak on the 'Stick'....

17. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
  18. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I dug it. The bass is definitely the leader, but manages to do so without beating you over the head with it. It's good to hear fretless incorporated into the metal genre some more, also. The Detroit area seems to have a long history of bada$$ bass players, and this is no exception.