Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassCulture pickups - ceramic vs neodym

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elros, Jun 11, 2004.

1. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Hi,

I am having a local luthier build me a seven stringed bass, and I am concidering Bass Culture pickups for it.

Does anyone have experiences with these pickups, I'd like to hear about it.

It seems that I have to choose between the "clearbucker" with ceramic magnets, and the "neobucker" with neodymium (sp?) magnets. Which should I choose? The sound I am after is basically an even response, full and clear....

Also, I am planning to have two of these pickups on my instrument; that means four of these fat magnets per string... is this possibly a bit much magnetic pull - will it affect tone? I am especially worried about that on the thinner strings - I want to be able to play harmonics and stuff with long and nice sustain, like I can on my old bass (four string with EMG TW pickups)

My pups will look much like this one, except 7 string config and with (probably) Maple cover...
    [​IMG]

I'd be very grateful for suggestions, insightful comments, experiences, ideas - any help. Thanks.

:help:

regards,
    Hallgeir
    Norway

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Ka-bump?

I need to make up my mind about what pickups to have in my custom 7, and the more info I have, the better I can choose.

Ceramics vs. neodyme?
    Anyone?

3. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I would go with the neodyme!I played the Music man Bongo bass which had neodyme's.It had a big-N-fat sound with clear trebles and mid's perfect for R&b,funk,rock,ect.Also,I would check into the Q-tuner which is a neodyme pickup which is new.you could be the first to try one! :D

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    The bass is done; I went with the neodyme model.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And Woah! :hyper: I am flabbergasted. Just got home, and plugged my new nice seven string bass into my new nice AccuGroove Tri112 (powered by an old but nice Eden WT800) and YAAHH! It is AMAZING!

I had a pretty good impression when I had that hour in the studio recording the below mentioned sound clip, but dude, while the studio monitors are good (Genelec 1029s with the 7050 sub), the AccuGroove/Eden rig is utterly fantastic! And the Listerud sounds astonishing through it - those BassCulture pickups were a good choice.

Here is a sound clip thrown together in a rush; three tracks with various pickups configurations, no processing. Old Norwegian (or Scandinavian?) hymn.