1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BassCulture pickups - ceramic vs neodym

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elros, Jun 11, 2004.

1. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Hi,

I am having a local luthier build me a seven stringed bass, and I am concidering Bass Culture pickups for it.

Does anyone have experiences with these pickups, I'd like to hear about it.

It seems that I have to choose between the "clearbucker" with ceramic magnets, and the "neobucker" with neodymium (sp?) magnets. Which should I choose? The sound I am after is basically an even response, full and clear....

Also, I am planning to have two of these pickups on my instrument; that means four of these fat magnets per string... is this possibly a bit much magnetic pull - will it affect tone? I am especially worried about that on the thinner strings - I want to be able to play harmonics and stuff with long and nice sustain, like I can on my old bass (four string with EMG TW pickups)

My pups will look much like this one, except 7 string config and with (probably) Maple cover...
    [​IMG]

I'd be very grateful for suggestions, insightful comments, experiences, ideas - any help. Thanks.

:help:

regards,
    Hallgeir
    Norway

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Ka-bump?

I need to make up my mind about what pickups to have in my custom 7, and the more info I have, the better I can choose.

Ceramics vs. neodyme?
    Anyone?

3. soul64basses

soul64basses

Mar 26, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I would go with the neodyme!I played the Music man Bongo bass which had neodyme's.It had a big-N-fat sound with clear trebles and mid's perfect for R&b,funk,rock,ect.Also,I would check into the Q-tuner which is a neodyme pickup which is new.you could be the first to try one! :D

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    The bass is done; I went with the neodyme model.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And Woah! :hyper: I am flabbergasted. Just got home, and plugged my new nice seven string bass into my new nice AccuGroove Tri112 (powered by an old but nice Eden WT800) and YAAHH! It is AMAZING!

I had a pretty good impression when I had that hour in the studio recording the below mentioned sound clip, but dude, while the studio monitors are good (Genelec 1029s with the 7050 sub), the AccuGroove/Eden rig is utterly fantastic! And the Listerud sounds astonishing through it - those BassCulture pickups were a good choice.

Here is a sound clip thrown together in a rush; three tracks with various pickups configurations, no processing. Old Norwegian (or Scandinavian?) hymn.