Bassculture vs. Haeussel pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rockosocko, Jul 13, 2020.

1. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    I in the process of ordering a bass from Maruscyzk, and while I'm strongly considering getting one with Delano Xtender pickups, I'm also considering Bassculture and Haesussel pickups since they both come with wood covers. Since I am unfamiliar with either of these brands, I was hoping to get some information about them here. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of them? Which of the two (or three if you consider Delanos) are the better choice? As a point of reference, I'm looking for something of a modern tone with a good amount of bass response. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    No experience with either, but YouTube clips sound good... what are your tonal goals?

Edit: just saw it at the end of your post... it seems like Bassculture has more non-traditional designs and might work for your goals better? Or Delano might be a safer choice... I’d probably just make sure to stick with a common pickup shape (Bart or EMG) to allow swapping pickups...

3. I don’t have experience, but have listened to MANY of the Maruszczyk videos.
    Haeussel’s, depending on which design, can be very vintage or traditional sounding. The Xtender pickups have a huge, clear, full-range tone - very modern.
    Problem with the Xtender’s is that if you get them, you’re probably stuck with them due to the shape. But they sound good enough to not need anything else, so it might be a sure thing...

4. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Got a Marusczyck Jazz with Haussels. If you’ll pardon, they are terribly traditional. I generally go more hi fi than traditional. My “ m” bass, (since I can never spell it the same way twice,) came Used with Haussel II pups and is reputed to be very much like a 60s Jazz, so I slapped a John East in to get the best of both worlds. Played a Marleaux this week end with Delano pups and pre. Thought I’d love it: didn’t, but other than a certain “wooliness ” (that I can’t abide), it is thick and bassY. Basscultures do it all, but a bit sterile. Had a Frog w Basscultures and Delano pre...sort of my favorite, but like my Tyler better...it does bass and clean top: most closely related to the Basscultures. PLEASE, if you’re considering Delano pups and pre together, please make sure you play it. I specifically went to buy this Merleaux, and God, it was gorgeous, but it just didn’t sound like a top end bass ( maybe with adjustments, dial in, new different strings, etc, I’d feel different)..

That’s my opinion and I have in fact, played many of these combos, but not Extenders...I have no idea about them.
    I keep the MJazz set up like that because it’s somewhat flexible and we all know those auditions and engineers that always look for a j or p bass.

Gotta have something like that and may be a good “ only” bass before you go more modern or exotic.

I’ve lost more that a few auditions years ago because i only took a “weird” bass. Now I always take the MJ (or a p) AND a “weird” one... never more than five strings until I’m “ in”, though.

good luck. I’ve got some nice pieces, and I don’t think there’s a better value than Marusczyzk, but they make a wide variety, so be careful.

5. rockosocko

rockosocko

Sep 14, 2008
    Thanks for the advice, I thought pairing Delano pickups with their preamp would be a smart way to go, but based on what was said, I'm leaning more towards an Aguliar preamp. I'm more familiar with those, and it might be a safer bet than the Delano or Noll preamp.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Hard not to go with Delano's for a modern tone. I have a pair of SBC'S in my Cazpar ran passive and get a a nice "active" tone when switched to parallel or single coil.

I tend to like the passive basses more on their youtube channel even though I like extended highs. Will probably get Xtenders or Q-tuners in my next bass.

xbud likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021