Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BassDistortion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Billd, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Billd

Billd

Sep 6, 2000
    Bass distortion is cool you get deep rumbling or loud unabashed bass tones that shake your whole house! i am gettin a a Rouge SuperMetal Distortion (it is normaly made for guitar but it work on bass like most effects) So what kinda Distortion do ya got and or want?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wrong section! Have a look at the Effects section - plenty of topics on distortion...

3. Billd

Billd

Sep 6, 2000
    that lead into what i was gonna say i was gonna find out what pick ups to get for my bass if i usin distortion

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    if you are gonna use distrotion a lot, I would recomend that you use Passive pickups.
    Seymour Duncan Quarter pound will work great.
    Active pickups would add a lot of highs to your signal and you wont get a good distortion sound.
    When distorting bass, what I think you would want is a deep rich midrangy sound.
    I recommend that you keep some of the signal of the bass undistorted, as normal guitar distortion will steal all your low end.

5. Billd

Billd

Sep 6, 2000
    i like to slap with distortion but to get good slapping sounds ya need active pickups (passive work too just not as good) so i think i am gonna keep the passive p-style pickups for now

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, i thought the same until I played my uncle's bass.
    A Fodera E-Model with PASSIVE Pickups and Passive Electronics.
    I said !!wut!!?? You bought a Fodera with passive electronics?? I could not believe that. But when I played it, i was impressed. You just have to find good pickups.
    These were Basslines soapbars... covered with a Morado case.

7. Billd

Billd

Sep 6, 2000
    no kidding? wow
    slapping is a cool tech in bass and guitar it is fun and gives a cool sound (w/distortion more so) i am gonna get a 5 string w/humbuckers or j style i havn't decided yet

8. I usually use a Boss Bass Overdrive. We just call it "Dead Ducks" because I taped "Dead Ducks" to it in big letters. I got it from a newspaper headline. I put it to a "fuzz" type setting usually. We're a rockabilly/punk/surf band,so I use that most the time to get a mean raunchy destroyer bass sound.

Another thing I like to use is my friends really cheap, awesome fuzz box. It's awesome because it's really cheap. It's a guitar effect so I usually get a brighter tone from it. He uses it for rythm on his guitar and just when he's messing around. He can make his guitar sound like a computer with it.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police