1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bassed in NZ - 3x 80's Gigs

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassed in NZ, Jan 9, 2021.

1. City

City Supporting Member

Ok that does it....I am moving to NZ.....Thanks for sharing and showing human beings having fun. I needed to see that.

Bassed in NZ and Tony In Philly like this.
  2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

So, which Split Enz songs besides “I Got You” do you cover?

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  3. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Great gigs, Matt! I'm glad you folks are enjoying your down under summer so well!

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  4. Awesome gig report. It's so great getting to see someone play for actual people. Looks like they were fun gigs. I am jealous.
    Keep jammin'.

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  5. So. Much. WINNING!!!
    I am taking notes on your singer's look -like the red vest and sunnies.
    Really a great looking set of gigs and venues!
    Thanks

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  6. Thanks for your gig reports, and it's good to see that normal life still exists somewhere. New Zealand is beautiful and it looks like a great place to live. We had 34 dates cancelled in 2020, and so far nothing scheduled for 2021. Our Governor has imposed a 10pm - 5am curfew on all non-essential activity including the closing of bars and restaurants; it's been in place for about two months and has just been extended.

Please keep posting your gig reports; it's a breath of fresh air for most of us in the US.

Thump on,

One_Dude

Bassed in NZ likes this.
  7. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You're welcome Lenny - like me some American Pie - but hope that the "Day" passes for you soon.
    Cheers Chris - we are indeed fortunate down here - having a good summer so far - but only really a border failure away from another shut here so keeping fingers crossed. Bit of a bummer that Patriot got knocked out of the Americas Cup - would've liked to see NZ/US go head to head!
    You're welcome Dan!
    Come on down - I'll buy you your first beer!

City and nixdad like this.
  8. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Oooh - good question! In this 80's band we only do I Got You - was their biggest hit in the 80's and we tend to only do one song per artist (also reached #53 in the US so wikipedia tells me!). History Never Repeats, Message To My Girl and Six Months In A Leaky Boat would also work well with this band (and our crowds). Don't hear many people in the States that know much about the Enz - tell me more!
    Yeah, thanks Tony - she's a stunner so far. Here's a photo from a couple of weeks ago taken at Great Mercury Island off our Coromandel Coast. Headed across there with my brother on his boat (that you can see in the picture), anchored up, swam in and went for a wander!
    Photo 17-01-21, 12 27 09 PM-1.jpg
    Cheers Robert - always fun when there's an engaged crowd and you get to play with some good people - hang in there - you'll get out again!
    Cheers Jimmy! Yeah, he was channeling Marty McFly that night - you could pull that off!
    Cheers @One_Dude - been on a bit of a break on holiday - but a few gigs lined up from Feb onwards. Man I feel for all you guys that have been without gigs for so long - and all the industries around it. Bummer your curfew was extended - hang in there, and yes, I'll keep posting my pretty small beer gigs if they provide a bit of hope and light relief!

Matt

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I discovered them all the way back in 1975; this was in the American mid-west, but I knew a guy that had a local prog-oriented ‘import’ album radio show, and he would also air other off-kilter stuff. It was the second version of Mental Notes, the one that Roxy Music’s Phil Manzanera oversaw. I loved the insanity of it, and the costumes/makeup, etc.
    After that I just kept tabs on them, which was sometimes difficult with stateside album availability, but I dug it that they finally broke through over here, although, like The Tubes, they ditched the visuals. They were way ahead of their time. Finally got to see them live on the Time+Tide tour, plus CH and Finn Brothers. On top of everything else, Mark Hart, who eventually joined CH, used to rent an apartment in a house that my parents owned, so I knew him before all that.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  10. Man look at that beach. This guy has the life!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021