1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses after finger injury (Modulus/Warwick content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Konquest, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Hey TB...It's been a while. I am a bass player (duh) and as a side job to my regular career, I build custom furniture. I recently had a bad accident and lost the last half inch or so off the middle finger of my fretting hand. For the last 7-8 years I have been playing a Modulus Q5. Seeing as how my technique and reach are going to be significantly altered, I am kind of shopping around trades for a high-end four string. One such bass that I have come across is the Warwick Star Bass II bubinga. As I can only afford one high-end bass at a time, would you consider this to be a worthy trade straight up (both basses are in mint condition)? I am big on the idea of paying for quality instruments that have a solid resale value...all the basses I've owned have been pre-owned. Is there anyone that could recommend a high-end 4 string that would work well in a classic rock/jam band mix that I should hold out for in a trade deal? One suggestion would be trying to get a 2 for 1 on maybe a jazz bass and a stingray for my Q5, but I am kind of a junky for exotic wood tops, being a woodworker and all. Any advice at all would be appreciated...

2. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    tony Iommi of black sabbath made himself prosthetic fingertips when he cut his off in an industrial accident,and he still launched some badass riffs.something you can look into.

3. Have you considered a luthier made 32" or 33" scale 5 string? Some specialized builders are capable and known for having a great B in a slightly shorter scale length.

You may also want to check with a teacher/friend to make sure your technique is about as good as it can be to allow yourself to be as efficient as you can be under the circumstances.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'd definitely look into a custom short scale before prosthetics. Some great short scale stuff being done.