Basses and Amps made for each other??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Dec 17, 2005.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Sorry if this thread has been done before.....Does it seen to you that some amps and basses go together so well, almost as if they were built for each other? I'm interested in everyone's opininon on what amps compliment the sound of the following basses:
    Fender P
    Fender J
    MM Stingray/Sterling
    Zon Sonus
    Gibson Thunderbird
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Demeter preamps + just about any good power amp + Bergantino cabs sound REALLY good.

Schroeder cabs with almost any decent amp do also.

My SR5 sounds great with either of the above (specifically, Dem 201S + QSC PLX1602 into Schroeder 410 or Bergantino HT322).
  3. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Yea, that setup gives a great tone. Workin towards getting that.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I always see Fender Pees with Ampegs.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Maybe it's just stereotypes, but my thoughts:

Fender P - Anything tube. Probably Ampeg.
    Fender J - Anything tube. Probably Ampeg.
    MM Stingray/Sterling - Mesa 400
    Zon Sonus - Eden. Nothing else will do.
    Gibson Thunderbird - Peavy with a blown driver.
    Rickenbacker - Acoustic 360 for sure.
  6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Not really a bass/amp combo but one of my personal faves is a Fender '62RI Jazz and an Alembic preamp (through any good poweramp).
  7. Rick - Mesa Bass 400/ Eden 810 cab
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Fender Precision - cranked sunn or hiwatt rig.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They all go with anything. My anything is Gallien-Krueger.
  10. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    One combination I felt didn't work together was a Modulus VJ 4-string into a Mesa M-Pulse. I felt that the extremely high output of the VJ preamp was driving the input of the M-Pulse too hard, resulting in a very midrangy sound, and not in a good way. I was using the active input, and gain was around 9:00 or maybe less.

With any other bass in the store, with the same settings, the amp sounded great with the Berg ht210s + ex112s stack. I also tried the bass with other amps in the store, and the bass sounded awesome.

It was just that specific combo that IMHO did not work.
  11. Eden CXC-110>3/4 size standup. Makes even ME :rolleyes: sound so sweet...
    Also very nice w/my Fender Jazz 5, Stambaugh 6 or fretless 4.
  12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    too damned funny!!!! :D
  13. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
  14. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

P bass with Ampegs, Standels and Sunns
    J bass with Acoustics (360's,370's and others)
    Guilds with Kustoms and Ampegs
    Danelctros with Magnatones and Standels
    Gretsch's with Showmans and Vox's
    Vox's with Showman and Vox's

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Stingray + GK. The slaptitude factor inherent in this combination is fantastic.

Stingray also does well with Eden.
  16. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I think that the idea of the thread was to ID particular combinations that have more than 1+1=2. These days, we have so much good equipment, that I agree with a lot of the posts that many things sound good. However, I think there are also some situations where you plug in and... magic happens.

I've had that experience twice. The first was putting a Jazz Bass into an Acoustic 360. OK, that's a pretty well known combo, but it does somehow produce a distinct character that is more than either alone.

The second, for me, was when I recently plugged my Tobias Classic into an SVT-CL. I know well that either with any number of other instruments or amps is top flight, but the two together...something about the Bartolini circuit and the sealed cabinet ... just happens. No other way to describe it. I just wish the the 810 wasn't such a bear to move around.
  17. Most hi quality basses sound pretty good on most hi quality amps to me IMO... but the AI (either Focus or Clarus), Acme110 or 210 seems to really work wonderfully with the semiacoustic basses like the Rob Allen and Turner. The warm voicing of those heads with the very mellow sound of the Acme (with the very small tweeter and mid driver) just warms up those basses and really moves them more toward a DB vibe IMO. I have a feeling that a Wizzy or AGTri112 with the AI amps would be similar, but I've never had the pleasure of trying those combinations.
  18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    my favorite combo not mentioned would have to be G&L L-2000 + Kustom Groove Bass 1200 HD head + Hartke 810 XL aluminum cone cab.

in fact this is what I'm ordering (other than the bass) tommorrow, I would of had the head today, but the store sold it when i was in new york.