Basses and bug bombs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IBJammin, Jul 29, 2020.

1. IBJammin

IBJammin

Apr 16, 2015
    We are going to be doing a bug bomb in our house, and wanted to know if I should worry about my basses and guitars. I don't have enough cases for all of them. Closed closet? Garage (in this heat?)? Trash bags for the ones not in cases? I don't want to close off my whole music room, as I want the bugs, if any, dead in here too.

Will the pesticide be damaging to the finish? What about amps and cabs?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I have read about folks ruining an instrument finish with "bug spray", the kind to keep mosquitos away. I would think they're similar.

TolerancEJ and IBJammin like this.
  3. IBJammin

IBJammin

Apr 16, 2015
    Yeah, you just reminded me that DEET is known to melt plastics and some synthetic fabrics. I guess some finishes have similar chemical compositions to plastic to be effected. I just checked the box, no DEET, it has pyrethin instead. Quick searches show that this does not have the same effect. Still, better safe than sorry. Thanks KBD!

TolerancEJ and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Can't tell you for sure, but I did it years ago without even thinking about the consequences, and nothing broke etc. This was like 10yrs ago as well. Just give it a lot of time to air out. I did not. Wicked headache. No spider mites though! Eff them bugs.

IBJammin likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Take them to a trusted friend or family member for a few days?

IBJammin likes this.
  6. IBJammin

IBJammin

Apr 16, 2015
    That did cross my mind, but over 20 axes and I'm on crutches means that "trusted" person also needs to be generous enough to load them all up both ways! Without the DEET in the fogger, I am just going to cover up the case-less ones with trash bags.

fhm555 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021