Basses and genres

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yonni, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Yeah, I only rock with a Ric or jazz with a J

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. No, You can make anything sound right if you’re good enough

259 vote(s)
    84.6%
  3. Carrots shmarrots

42 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    When you think of a brand or model do you think of a certain genre? I’m not really talking about Fender here as obviously we’ve all seen Jazz and P basses used across all genres. The reason I ask is because I was playing a Warwick Teambuilt Streamer pro a few weeks ago and loved it. But I’d always thought of Warwick as a rock/metal bass. I now know that Bootsy, Jonas Hellborg, Jack Bruce and Stuart Zender all use them. So clearly I was wrong, and I can’t even remember where I got the idea from in the first place. So do you think Rics are for rock and prog, Foderas are for jazz, Music Man is for funk, etc. And why?

2. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    I voted you can make anything sound right if you're good enough. I think tone is in the fingers. I don't think *ALL* the tone is in the fingers, I think you can hear a difference in tone of the same person playing different equipment. But, it will still sound like them, and they can make whatever bass they want sound right for the genre at hand.

I have used a Ric for jazz. No one cared. I have used a Jazz for hard rock. No one cared.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Play what you want with what you want. I've seen Rice in jazz, Hofners for metal, etc.

How many different guitars did Pete Townshend play? How about Entwistle for bass? Didn't Teddy play a Jazz (using fingers) when he played Roundabout with Yes at the HoF?

4. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    ^ This.

Blackjac97 likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Basses specific to genres are more a visual thing than really a sound thing; for example, a pointy BC Rich would look odd in a Jazz gig, even if it sounds right, and an beatles bass in a metal gig would also look odd. But it can be done on purpose to add to the show...

6. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Whatever works, and the music-consuming public by and large doesn't GAF.

7. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    Im not saying it cant be done its more a question of if you saw someone playing funk on a Ric would it surprise you. I guess I worded the poll wrong.

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I can make any of my basses work for whatever genre. However, when I show up with something like my steinie at a blues jam, my gui****ist gets the shivers.

9. Blackjac97

Blackjac97 Supporting Member

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    10-4, in that case though, my answer remains the same :D

Yonni likes this.
  10. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Rick James used a Ric. I believe he qualifies for funk.

11. A9X

A9X Suspended

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I was in a cover / party / wedding band for years and we played all sorts of music, except jazz, and I used my XL2 for all of it.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nah, who cares?

:wideyed:

i agree with @Jebberz about the "look" thing, and i'm with everyone (poll results, so far) that it doesn't make any difference.

FWIW: i've played everything (jazz, rock, funk, country) on PJs (great for polkas, BTW!) :D

13. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    My dream is to one day bring a Bootsy Space Bass to the local old man blues jam just for the stares and comments. Of course I still need to actually find a Space Bass at a price I can stomach...

Qlanq, fat_nermil, OogieWaWa and 3 others like this.
  14. Texaspandj

Texaspandj

Feb 13, 2021
    Heart Of Texas
    "But I’d always thought of Warwick as a rock/metal bass and think Rics are for rock and prog, Foderas are for jazz, Music Man is for funk, etc. "
    I partially quoted you here^^^.
    But yeah I tend to agree and probably One of the main reasons I play Fender basses.
    However, Of course everyone knows you can play any bass with any style of music.

15. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

703d6427849246cae84a2fcd434f3019.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play church gigs - most of them would be (to outsiders) called the same "genre". However, the vibe depends on where I'm playing (I play multiple churches), who I'm playing with, who's singing, etc. Therefore, I have a few different basses -different pickups and electronics being the most noticeable distinguishing differences, and having that variety of tools makes it easier to do what I do well. Cold I pikc one bass and use it for everything? Probably, but I'd be less effective, and I'd be less inclined to practice (I can get bored practicing with the same instrument for weeks on end, so rotating them helps me keep things fresh)

MynameisMe likes this.
  17. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I play my 6 string in any genre. As for looks, I usually just get complements.

18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You're going to look pretty funny wearing an embroidered westen shirt, Stetson and cowboy boots while playing a BC Rich Warlock, and Gene Simmons would've look hilarious playing a pink Hello Kitty bass.
    Joing a punk rock band?
    Don't buy a white Ritter Cora.
    Dare to be different if you want to, but if you suffer from LAMS, don't let if effect what's important.

Hurricane Jimmie likes this.
  19. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I'm not sure a B. C. Rich Warlock would go over to well on a country gig, but you never know.

20. beatmachine pro

beatmachine pro

Jun 13, 2021
    i think it makes a difference to a point.

the warwicks are sure bright in the high end and i can see how some of the basses look good for metal
    i dont think anyone would play a warwick thumb or corvette for metal

of course the bass i get the low tones out of has flatwounds so no top end

of course eq goes a long way

El_Charro likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021