Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses and Guitar Amps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Do any of you guys/girls know of any basses that sound good through guitar amps? I wanna get a new bass and currently I'm playing through a guitar combo.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you play a bass through a guitar amp at high volume, you will ruin the speaker. Guitar driver were not designed to reproduce the frequencies that basses put out. And you will not find a bass that sounds good through a guitar combo. Get a bass amp.

3. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I plan on getting a bass amp, but for now I am content to practice at low volume on my guitar combo.

By the way, I thought some bassists actually do use guitar amps. I thought Jack Bruce used a Marshall stack when he was with Cream???

4. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    playing a p-bass with a pick through a guitar head will give you that greenday type of bass tone.

5. embellisher

Using a bass through a stack with 4x12's is totally different than a combo. Still bad for the speakers, but they will last longer than the ones in a guitar combo.

6. you shouldn't be buying a bass on the basis that it is to sound good through a guitar amp. buy a good bass no matter what amp it will eventually go through, and then get the amp when you can , but you will damage the guitar amp!!!

7. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    embellisher is right, it will harm the speakers. But keep it at extremely low volumes 2-3, and you should be alright, atleast for a little while. I would not base my bass purchase on playing through a guitar amp. At the store, play the bass through an amp in your future price range to give you an idea of the sound you will be getting.

8. OK, I always get these confused. As we see here, bass ---> guitar amp = possible blown amp. What does guitar ---> bass amp =?

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Simply put, bass amps, for low sound, guitar amp, for high sound. running to much low sound thru guitar amp,,, not good, made for high sound. To much high thru low sound amp bad. me cave man, me destroy with fire and rock.

10. embellisher

No harm at all. Might not be a guitarist's ideal tone, since bass amps and speakers are voiced differently than guitar amps, but you won't damage anything.

11. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    there are NO problems as long as the amp you're playing on can handle the frequencies of the notes you're playing. the bigger the speakers, the lower the freq, smaller(horns)=higher

it may sound a little different.

12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Jack Bruce always had plenty of spare speakers (and amps), so he could afford to blow one once in a while. Of course now he uses bass amps/speakers and doesn't have that problem.

13. Guitar amps cant take the power of the bass guitar thats wot i tell all my guitarist ppl wen they show off, and they cant handle the weight

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Damn right they can't handle the weight! why i went to go lay my bass down on my guitar practise amp and the DAMN THING JUST BROKE TO CRAP.