1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

basses (and many other instruments) have too much tension

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wiremessiah, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiremessiah

Wiremessiah

Mar 4, 2017
    Sure, but similar in that tension causes more functional "stiffness". I use hofner TI flats, with .96 E (or D# in my case, not Eb which is for amateurs). I think perhaps the least tense strings out there? And they are badsically the same gauge as long scale, and tuned down a half step, so it's probably as little tension as possible. I would like to know what the tension of the TI's are, but I don't think anyone but Thomastik knows for sure.

2. I suggest you worry about getting your bass set up properly rather than string tension if you are having any sorts of issues with this at all. MY intonation is fine all the way up the neck with standard tension strings.

soulman969 and jd56hawk like this.
  3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would love to see a video of the OP playing these loose strings "absurdly fast" and digging in, with a good look at right hand technique.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Your knowledge of both the physics and availability of strings is, to be polite, limited.

As with most trolls, he's experiencing technical difficulties that prevent any evidence for his claims.

5. Wiremessiah

Wiremessiah

Mar 4, 2017
    What is your relief now? I just measured a couple weeks after completely loosening the rod nut, and it's about 8-10 thousandths. Zero buzz. I actually don't have callouses, haven't had them for years. That's another thing, why do you need callouses to play? Is it just a fact of life like high tension strings, or is something forcing it?

6. Wiremessiah

Wiremessiah

Mar 4, 2017
    Damn, ever the cynic, huh? I use 1" 8 track analog tape for my recordings, and my digital mixer with the a/d converters' power supply just gave out. Not sure how I am a troll, just because I presented a different opinion? I will see if the line in on my mac will work into pro tools, it should. But damn, you need to release that tension, bro. Get some TI flats or go to a massage parlor.

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    That's not fair: OP is just sharing an idea and defending it. I disagree with him, I think, but that doesn't make me think he's a troll.

8. Wiremessiah

Wiremessiah

Mar 4, 2017
    I'm not, just saying that if anything with higher tension strings this effect is more pronounced. Not sure why everyone is all agro today, because it's a monday?

Bruiser Stone and Son of Wobble like this.
  9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hopefully I didn't come across as snarky or hostile. A video would level the playing field, so we would all know exactly what you're doing; also, I'm on board with learning or trying anything that might improve my playing.

soulman969 and AB Nate like this.
  10. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Lansing, MI
    Most short scale basses have lower tension, depending on strings. I find them easier to play, but then I don't play rock, funk, metal, or anything where I have to dig in with a pick. To each his own. Neither is better, just different. And we all learned on Sesame Street that different is OK.

retslock and matante like this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    On one if my gigs I play a 34" scale tuned down a half step.
    Big difference in tension there.

12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I feel the same. To the point that, when I play with my right hand at the end of the neck, the string tension is too low for comfort. My right hand likes the feel of the strings over the bridge pickup - good volume, but very receptive to a light touch.

My fingertips almost 'get caught' under the strings without enough tension.

13. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I swapped to low tension strings on one bass after wrist surgery and ended up putting them on all my basses even after I recovered. I like the ease of playing and because I couldn’t play as hard without a rattle it helped me develop a feather light touch which increases my speed and accuracy.

Low tension best tension.

14. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    Try some TI jazz rounds if you like low tension strings. Not a lot of low end beef, but as you say, you can use EQ to deal with that.

15. So you have literally nothing at all available that you have previously done. Well that says it all really doesn't it.

Allan Allan likes this.
  16. I have a 12 string bass, and even with all that tension somehow I manage to have a straight neck, not a more pronounced effect. If your neck isn't straight it's broken or not adjusted right.

Allan Allan likes this.
  17. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Obviously you are being hyperbolic here, as a 10x reduction in tension is completely impossible . Regardless of string type , 2 or 3 pounds of tension is not viable.

If the top of an acoustic instrument is not moving as it could, it may need less tension, or it may need more. Certainly no 0.10 gauge set of guitar strings is not over-driving an acoustic's top. In fact I would wager most modern acoustics can stand more tension, as they are not tuned soundboards and braces - they are going to be somewhat overbuilt -

Many solidbody players also swear by ultra-light strings. I too have found that, with solidbody bass guitar, I can go lighter than conventional string sets, with no ill effects. Apparently Jimi Hendrix preferred a 0.08 for his high E string (and told other guitarists he uses a 0.13 :roflmao: )

lz4005 likes this.
  18. It is an interesting topic that I have thought little of until now. One of my P basses has .045-.105 D'Addario rounds and the other, .050-.105 D'Addario tapes, I find the tapes to be lower tension but no more or less desirable than the rounds. They're just different to me, meant for different things. I find that when really digging in on my tapes, the sound becomes rubber-bandy / farty (not good), and so I save the harder stuff for my rounds, where I get a more snappy response.

So for me, the tight rounds are more versatile, but the loose nylon of the tapes is oh so sweet. I guess that's more of a texture thing...

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You’re entitled to my opinion. :)

soulman969 and AB Nate like this.
  20. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Today’s Monday? Well in that case, EVERYTHING you say is wrong. Opinion or not... :spit:

;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.