basses and their sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seb060790, Sep 30, 2005.

1. seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    for the sake of idle chit chat, anyone got opinions on what bass has what what kind of "sound"........ :bassist:
  2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
  3. seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    and to be more specific what bass is best for that warm kinda "groovy" sound......
  4. seb060790

Sep 26, 2005
    yeah real helpful buddy :eyebrow:
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thing is, the sound comes from so many factors other than the bass. Innately a bass may carry some 'sound' of its own, but depending on the setup, how you play, the type of strings, the age of those strings, the amp and any processing you put on it... well, the sound changes a lot.

What's more, even players with a distinct sound, you can still recognize that it's them playing often enough because not only is their sound distinct, but they're playing is too, so it gets even more difficult to assign specific sounds to specific basses.
  6. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Since it's a super-general question, here's a super-general answer:

Old-school, Motown, thumpy: P-bass (look up Carol Kaye's discography)
    '60s-'70s rock: J-bass (Led Zeppelin)
    "Modern": MusicMan (look up Tony Levin's discography...Peter Gabriel, etc.)

This is about as informative and useful as saying "Round fruit = oranges" or "fish = salmon."

But hey, ask a nonspecific question, and you'll get a nonspecific answer.
  7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I prefer electric for rock and upright for classical. I usually like to run my electric through an amplification device of sorts. My upright seems to work better with a bow..
  8. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Why, that's BRILLIANT! I never thought of that! Is that what the little hole in the side of the bass is for?

Actually, come to think of it, I think I saw film of Pete Townsend running his electric through an amp. Yep. Made a big hole, pretty much trashed the whole rig.
  9. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sometimes I like to use my hands to play jazz. I find it helps my swing feel.
  10. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI

Carol Kaye doesn't and that woman has jazz chops for weeks.

11. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA

That settles it then.
  12. seb060790

Sep 26, 2005