Basses, comments please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jan 3, 2002.

1. My next actual bass purchase will be a good 4-string. Keep in mind that I play mostly fingerstyle rock, but a decent slap sound would also be good (as well as other styles). I need to hear comments on the basses I'm considering so I can actually start narrowing down my decision. Here is a list of basses I'm considering at the moment (there is more than one listed on some lines):

Schecter Custom S-Series Jazz Bass or Traditional Jazz Bass
    Peavey Cirrus or Millennium Plus (but the 35" scale may bother me)
    G&L L-2000 (should I also consider the SB2)
    Musicman Sterling or Stingray
    Carvin LB70 with Swamp Ash or Mahogany body and 5-piece neck
    Kinal MK4-B
    Modulus VJ4 (Vintage Jazz)
    Warwick Corvette Proline (should I also consider the FNA?, and I'm also concerned about neckdiving with these)
    Fender American Jazz (should I also consider the Mex Jazz and upgrade?)
    Reverend Rumblefish XL (I've heard these aren't great for slap though)
    GR GRP4 (probably with two pickup configuration)

I only have access to a few of these basses, so if you guys could let me know of the ins and outs of some of these basses it would be great! Thanks.
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you name a lot of basses that i have never had the chance to try. here in italy not all those beauties are availble. but if you are interested in the fender jazz bass i higly suggest to try the Fender Jazz Bass Classic '60. it's made in mexico and it's a real good bass. and if i can give you a suggestion i wouldn't forget to try a good Precision bass even if you seem a two pickups lover.
    good luck
  3. Thanks barroso. What's so different about the '60s Classic Jazz Bass that makes it worth a few hundred more? Wouldn't it require basically the same upgrades? I'm looking for a great bass, so has anybody here upgraded an Mex Fender Jazz before? If so, how much were the upgrades? What did you upgrade (pickups, electronics, hardware, etc.)? How does it sound now?
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ayou going to keep your Carvin B5? Others in the arsenal might effect the choice. At least it would for me.

5. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    I just bought a new Fender American Jazz Deluxe, and I am very happy with the sound and playability of the thing. My other bass is a Warwick 5-string Thumb Bolt-On, and the Fender is definitely "easier" to play slap/pop with the wider string spacing.

I compared the American to the Mexican Fenders very closely in the store. The Mexicans are brighter and less warm, the American seemed fatter with a tighter bottom-end. There is NO comparison regarding quality of the neck/fret-work, the American is hands-down much better to the identical model MIM bass. Check out the side of the neck where the fret grooves are cut on a MIM, then look closely at the MIA.

But, the MIM is about 1/3 the cost of a MIA.

6. Yes, I am keeping the Carvin B5, but I am trying to sell my Warwick Streamer Standard:oops:
  7. Ya know, I have tried the American Jazzes, and I like them, but I've also played a used Schecter Custom Series Jazz Bass that sounded amazing! I think they would be very comparable in price as well. Have you tried a Schecter?
  8. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My vote is for the Modulus. I've got 3 Quantums and travel all over, and the bass always plays so consistant. Also, there's a lot of different tones I can get out of my Mod's, so from your Rock to slap stuff you'd dig. Also, Stingrays are nice, solidly built axes. I've owned both 4 and 5's...currently own a Sabre from the mid-80's. If you can find one of those, snatch it up (mine, not for sale). I had a 4-string Cirrus a couple years ago, but sold it 'cause I wanted a Modulus! Good bass, could easily find a used one on or Ebay.

Ya know, though, I've never been a big Fender guy...MIM, MIA, matter where they're built. The consistancy of the basses, to me, are just plain terrible. Even the good ones, to me, just don't cut it for a bass that's well over a grand, new. That's what happens, I guess, when you've got your hand in making tuners, crap PA's, and guitar picks. IMHO.

...dear God, I've flamed the masses. :eek:
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nah, Josh, just your opinion;)

Though I will say this: the consistency issue is widely contended yet I wonder how much of this is anecdotal and how many people have actually handled a large number of these basses and witnessed this first hand.

I have an internet "buddy" who's mission in life seems to be to rail against Fenders, even though his personal experiences with them has been limited to owning a budget Fender and playing a few at GC.

I have handled probably hundreds of Fenders over the years and maybe I'm just not observant enough to see the widespread defects people talk about. The two newer (1997) Jazzes I have have flawless finishes, nice fretjobs, excellent controls and very nice playability. I do have a 70's Jazz and it does have a neck gap. I used my magic technique (thought about getting it patented but you guys are so nice...)... I took a Phillips screwdriver and tightened the three screws. Voila. Neck has never budged :D

I haven't had to go through several basses in a store just to find a decent one, the problems I usually see are simply setup related and I know better than to damn an entire line of basses because of how they're setup in a store (not saying you're doing this, Josh... other people).
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A friend of mine got a used Schecter Jazz with exposed pickups and a 2Tek bridge. One of the nicest playing and sounding Jazzes I've come across. I know nothing of the prices, she got hers used for about $700.

There's not a bad bass on your list. It's really up to you to decide what it is "you" want, maybe then the decision might be a hair easier. Too many nice basses;)
  11. Bassplayer7770, that's some list! How much do you really want to spend? A MIM Jazz would be about $450.00 new w/case. Then with a bridge and pickup upgrade add on about $200.00 (you can go much higher with a pre-amp, but, I'm being conservative.) So now, we're talking $650.00~$700.00 For a few hundred more you can get a MIA Jazz that already has what you'd be upgrading. But, the fretwork is worth the extra bucks.

I recently bought a Stingray 4; all I can say is you get what you pay for. Everything is top notch, and it is so comfortable to play. Same with a Sterling. It's got a different neck, and a 3 position switch, and sounds a little smoother thana 'Ray, but, it's also top shelf. My advise, humbly offered, would be to decide on the price range, which would narrow down that list. If you can swing it though, I'd suggest a Stingray or MIA Jazz. My $.02

Mike J.
  12. I think any bass on that list can be had for about $1500 or under, but if I can spend significanlty less that's cool. I hope that helps.:)
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Wow, there's another. I thought that I must be the only one who failed to see these widespread defects people talk about, and in my time I have owned and handled quite a few Fenders myself. I also wonder about the first-hand knowledge of these "defects".

As far as the list goes... I would go for the MIA Jazz. There is not a style of music that the Jazz won't cover, and cover well.
  14. I would definitely go for the Stingray. It's about perfect for most things... You can hear it get a great fingerstyle rock tone on Radiohead's "Creep." You can hear it get excellent slap tone in much of The Red Hot Chili Pepper's latest works.

Just kinda expensive, for me, anyway.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I adore the tone of Stingrays, but Flea has mostly been using Modulus on the latest material (I dig Modulus too). FWIW, the first RATM album features great MM Stingray tone.

As for Fender inconsistency: I haven't noticed it in the MIA's, and I haven't played enough MIJ or MIM to have an opinion on those. Where I have noticed inconsistency with Fender is in the 1970's models: some of those are real dogs (I should know, I've owned a few).
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'll vote for the MIA Jazz.
    Look into a used one,if possible.Last week I got a 99 MIA Jazz with hardshell case for $550.Looks and plays like new.
  17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  18. I don't pretend to be a huge bass expert, but my playing style sounds very similar to your and I have spent the past several months shopping around for a bass very similar to the one you described (good low end that still belts out a good slap/pop sound). Last Friday I finally bought a MIA Fender Jazz and I couldn't be happier with it. Although there are many good basses on your list (I'm a fan of the Stingrays as well) I'd definetly have to recommend the MIA Jazz. Its a very dependable, great sounding, great playing, high quality kind of an instrument.

Best of luck in finding a bass to suit your needs. :D
  19. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
  20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That Schecter sounds pretty nice.