1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

basses *designed* to be strung BEAD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mactac, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Are there any basses out there that are specifically designed to be tuned BEAD?

what would be some design considerations?

Now, I'm prefectly aware that you can slap a b string on pretty much any 4-stringer (My warwick corvette is strung BEAD), but I was thinking that perhaps there are some things you could do to make it better suited?

some ideas off the top of my head would be:

- bigger nut slots to fit big guage B strings (my warwick won't take anything larger than a .120)
    - wiger bridge slots (my warwick "a" string slot has a hard time taking a .105 ("E") string
    - stiffer neck?
    - differently-voiced EQ

any other thoughts, ideas, etc?

2. I'm know ESP and Schecter both have models like that I'm sure there are others. Schecter it's the scorpion, ESP I think its the F254 and the Tom Araya signature.

3. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    if you like the low b enough to change your stringing, why not just buy a 5??

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i do already have a 5 (thumb 5 bolt on).

I wanted a low b with only 4 strings. i've got both & there is a huge difference between them, esp with the corvette's neck .

i enjoy playing a 4 more than a 5.. i feel like i can fly around the neck like a madman :)

tho i do have uses for my 5 as well (i actually play the 5 more than the 4)

BUT, you've totally missed the point of my question ! i didn't ask how to get a b string without buying a 5 string.... :)

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Knuckle Basses comes to mind. Talk to Skip, he's a cool guy.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think a Dingwall Afterburner would make a great BEAD bass, because it has a 37" scale E, or in this case B.

7. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The B has less tension than the G it replaces. Here's a chart of one example.

45-135 tension

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    My four string is tuned BEAD but I don't need a high G and I like the thinner neck. Why get more than you need or will use.