Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses for Girls - can you believe this !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Saw the following on an online shop. Not sure if it is a joke or not!:confused:

Daisy Rock Guitars will inspire girls to learn how to play guitar because these guitars are made especially for them."[​IMG]

2. Unfortunately there is more!

Quantity Required:
    Price: £299.00

Description

Daisy Rock Guitars will inspire girls to learn how to play guitar because these guitars are made especially for them."[​IMG]

:bawl:

Matthew

3. Sorry wrong thread this should have been in basses or even off topic j/k;)

Can it be moved please

apologies

Matthew

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    those things look extra phallic (spelling?)

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

6. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
  7. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    They would go good with matching lingerie.;)

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Those have been around for a while now. The best ones are Powerpuff Girls ones with Mojo Jojo on them.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Cool idea, IMHO. More women should play bass (and guitar and drums and etc).

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Not a joke - I've actually played one! the local used/consignment shop carried them as a new line once upon a time.

DD

11. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    I know everyone thinks this goofy; but.....
    I gotta tell you for 7 or 8 year old this a pretty attractive instrument and could get a little girl on the road to musicianship.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That's extremely unequal treatment of women!!

Of course they should be offered a five-string version too!!

:D

13. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Pros: I assume it's nice and lightweight for a little girl and the fretboard is good for small hands

Cons: The assumption that all little girls like pretty pink and purple hearts and flowers. At 8 years old I was turned away by stuff like that LOL.

14. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, but chicks are tough in Scranton! It's all that scrapple and shoe fly pie, makes 'em ornery. I have to admit, I think those are kind of cool if they encourage young girls to take up the bass. There are plenty of guitars that are marketed to young boys (you almost never see an old guy with a BC Rich- unless he's CC Deville- another PA joke for you!).

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent point. Does Schecter make any scaled down basses that are less "cute"?

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The woman who is prez/CEO of Daisy is the wife of the guy who is prez/CEO of Schecter.....no joke.

We started having fun talking about Daisy instruments about a year or so ago on Talkbass. The instruments always crack us up.

I'm waiting for a line of "Daisy amps" to come out. I guess they could be offered in pastel colors and have technical problems once every month :eek:

17. Mwhahahaha...

Just ordered mine!

I'm sure the sustain and tone are crap due to the small body shape :meh:

but...people might think I'm punk...so,thats why I bought it ;)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What, no 5 string model?

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    While I'm sure the intentions of manufacturing a bass like this for little girls was all well and good, if you look at the big picture, I just don't think it's right. It's like saying "here little girl, this bass is pretty-looking, now PLAY IT!!". I would hope a kid would be attracted to an instrument not by its looks, but because she likes the sound of it and wants to play it. Sure she may like those pretty flower-shaped bodies...but is she going to actually like playing the instrument? Is the prettiness of the bass going to make her enjoy it even more?

Now of course it'd be a different thing if she already had an interest in the bass and was looking for something for a small, young body.

PS: corinpills: oops I had edited my post right after you replied to me. I had originally said something like "if you bought me a bass like that when I was 8 I'd hit you over the head with it" LOL, but that sounded a little too violent hehe. :D