basses for hardcore band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evan, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    what are some good basses out there for a hardcore band /metalcore
  2. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    something that CUTS. Like a Zon, Rickenbacker, Spector, or a Modulus for example. Pick style, Picado (a la Billy Sheehan) or fingerstyle by the bridge helps. Also a bit of treble on an active EQ can help on some basses.

Zons and Modulus are pricey new but as much as some mid priced basses if they have been used.
    Good luck
  3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Evan, there's a nice looking Zon 5/1 at for $1200, which is a good price, and if I were looking for a solid, great sounding bass for heavy music, that would be it.

(I know thats 5 strings, but all them models will come in a 4 string version.)

Any of those threads should help you out. I found these using the search function, which is a great help for topics like this which have been covered before.

My personal opinion would be a Fender P Bass, a lot of HC bands play on them, I have one, and it can get that grindy tone you desire if you set it up right. Also check out MM Stingrays, Fender Jazz Basses and G&L L2000.

What is your price range? It helps to know how much you're willing to spend, otherwise you will get a lot of suggestions for Zon/Stingray/Modulus which starts at $1000+.

Also, keep an eye on the used market...for say $400 new you can get a Mexican made Fender, but for roughly an extra $100 or so, you could score a Japanese or American Fender, which are far superior to the MIM models.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Talkbass! A wealth of info right at your fingertips! :D
  5. i have the video from the 1st ozzfest tour, and the bassist of earth crisis is using a Tobias (gibson version, not an actual MTD).
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I've used my Peavey Cirrus 4 in a hardcore band situation before with enormous success.
  7. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    i would say a musicman. that guy in lightning bolt uses one, and they are as hardcore as it gets.
  8. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    the guy from hoobastank uses a musicman too. :D
  9. Usually...a P bass with Tone full on,and a maple neck to give it that kick and zing to cut through the chuga chuga :)
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector. The answer to any and all things rock or metal
  11. appler

appler Guest

Fender Precision, Musicman StingRay, or Spector have my votes.
  12. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I thought that he used MTD. :confused:
  13. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    All excellent basses, ESP are good in this area too
  14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Mainstream rock bass players, they use whatever they want ;)

A few of my mates are in hardcore bands and they use the traditional P-Bass with a pick, and it cuts through fine.
  15. cort curbow fretless sounds great in them
  16. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I'll tell you something you probably don't want to hear but any decent bass will do it.

I have played 80's hard rock to todays heaviest bands for over 22 years and use to own the typical Jackson basses for many, many years, I have since played a Tobias Classic 5 for a few years, Warick Thumb 4's and 5's, Warwick Streamer II 4, two Roscoe LG 3005's and an F Bass BN 5 and they all sound great. I guess most people wouldn't think of Tobias, F Bass and Roscoe bass when it came to a metal bass but, they sound beautiful and fit right in. Hell, I'd even play my F Bass in passive mode because it sounds so great.

What you need to remember is although basses do have a certain sound to them, your playing style makes a huge difference and you can generally get a wide variety of tones out of basses with most pre-amps.

Everyone has their favorites but I say try some basses out and go with the tone you like. Let's not forget, your sound system also makes a big difference.
  17. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    he plays a greenish stingray in the new video.
  18. However,on the back of Bass Player(I think) Magazine he has an MTD 5 string.

19. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Sorry, but what is Picado? This is the first time I've heard of it. I thought Sheenan used an ordinary three-finger fingerstyle technique.
  20. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    picado is a traditional flamenco technique. The flamenco guitar players use a fingerstyle technique with a 90 degree curve on the string to get a strong PLUCK sound that sounds like a cross between fingertyle and pickstyle when done on bass. Billy Sheehan does this technique at a near perfect angle with 3 fingers with out flinching or thinking about it. One would also gain more speed with this technique since the fingers are cuved in and don't have to move as much.