1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses for Pick/Basses for Fingers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Ever notice how some basses are much better suited for pick playing, while others are better suited for fingerstyle?

My two main workhorse basses currently are a Fender Geddy Lee Signature Jazz and an EB MusicMan Stingray 4. I love the Stingray. It was my main bass for about 4 years. Its tone is still undeniably great, and its overall feel is superb. But, whenever I try to play it with a pick, it just doesn't do it for me. In fact, the tone is just too brash, even with EQ tweaking. And, overall it just seems more awkward to play with a pick.

The Fender GL, on the other hand, is a STELLAR pick bass. I'm not that accomplished a pick player in the first place, but playing that bass you wouldn't know it. It just lends itself perfectly to playing with a pick. Actually, the GL is a very versatile bass. Fingerstyle is totally effortless on that one, too.

I just find it interesting how certain instruments are better suited to one playing approach over another. Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. Yes... my Ric = using a pick

I like the Cure's "Disintegration" album, and it was mostly a Stingray with a pick.

Fretless J-bass = fingers for me

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Although I allways play fingerstyle I have found that it can be easier playing with a pick on basses that have a tighter string spacing.

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    I know what you mean, although I think a stingray can sound amazing with a pick.

5. i usually played both my ric and my stingray with my fingers but have just recently started to play my ric with a pick. I'm still by no means 100% pick guy at all, i just like the way my ric sound with a pick. The stingray sounds nice with a pick to but just alot better to my ears with my fingers.

6. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Rics and pics definitely go together.

I like the way Modulus Quantums sound with a pic. Especially Mike Gordon's tone and Phil Lesh's tone at certain points in his Modulus playing career.

Hoffner's and pics definitely go together. Paul, Francois Garny...

7. I have come to find that I like a tighter spacing with a pick and wider spacing for fingerstyle and tapping. I play an stingray 5 with a pick and it feels great with the tighter spacing.

The regular stingray is the standard 19mm and the 5 is 17mm. I think Rics are a little tighter spaced. Some Ibanez are for sure. A lot of pro pick players like Carles Benevente and Steve Swallow like the tighter spacing also.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i can definately see why, a pick isn't very thick (obviously) so larger string spacings aren't needed. infact, they can be a hindrance with a pick, because there's a much bigger distance to travel before the pic hits another string.

9. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Dosn't A7X = (stingray x pick)2 :hyper:

10. AngryJason

AngryJason

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    For an example of some phenomenal sounds coming from a pic'd Ric, check out Mike Mills's work on REM's first album, Murmur.

Amazing stuff.

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think i lost my only pick...