basses for slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwelch28, Jul 1, 2001.

1. kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    What is a good bass for slap? and what is a good bass for all around Play?
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    For Slap : Stingray or Fender Jazz, íf you´ve got more money, definitely Sadowsky

3. stingray for slap hands down. fender jazz can get a nice slap tone as well. they both can be used for a variety of styles.
  4. Not cheap but IMHO the slap and pop thang starts and ends with a S a d o w s k y ! ! ! I love my standard 4 jazz with ash and maple board. However I played one a Sadowsky PJ5 with alder and Brazilian rosewood board and I flipped. I'll order a PJ4 with indentical woods before the year is up.:D
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    if you do a search it should yield alot of results, this has been posted alot here.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I got my Thumb BO just for a funky slap tone and feel. It's different from the Music Man. There is a definate growl from top to bottom. Slapping on a Music Man give me the feeling like the instrument is holding back some of its tone no matter how I eq it. The Thumber lays it all out there. I play with horns in a big Funk/SKA band and really need to cut through. The Thumb's tone is not optimal for some of the more standard radio stuff we do to rest the horns. I'm getting a Fender Jazz MIM as a back up and to do those less raspy bass deals.
  7. kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    are Ibanez's any good?
  8. ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Now, I know some people dont really like Warwicks but for my tastes they are just right. I have a Streamer Stage II and it sounds good in just about any situation.
  9. ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Yeah Kwelch Ibanez makes some damn fine high end basses. I learned on a crappy one muhself.