Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basses for slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwelch28, Jul 1, 2001.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    What is a good bass for slap? and what is a good bass for all around Play?

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    For Slap : Stingray or Fender Jazz, íf you´ve got more money, definitely Sadowsky

David

3. stingray for slap hands down. fender jazz can get a nice slap tone as well. they both can be used for a variety of styles.

4. Not cheap but IMHO the slap and pop thang starts and ends with a S a d o w s k y ! ! ! I love my standard 4 jazz with ash and maple board. However I played one a Sadowsky PJ5 with alder and Brazilian rosewood board and I flipped. I'll order a PJ4 with indentical woods before the year is up.:D

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    if you do a search it should yield alot of results, this has been posted alot here.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I got my Thumb BO just for a funky slap tone and feel. It's different from the Music Man. There is a definate growl from top to bottom. Slapping on a Music Man give me the feeling like the instrument is holding back some of its tone no matter how I eq it. The Thumber lays it all out there. I play with horns in a big Funk/SKA band and really need to cut through. The Thumb's tone is not optimal for some of the more standard radio stuff we do to rest the horns. I'm getting a Fender Jazz MIM as a back up and to do those less raspy bass deals.

7. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    are Ibanez's any good?

8. ArtFS

ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Virginia
    Now, I know some people dont really like Warwicks but for my tastes they are just right. I have a Streamer Stage II and it sounds good in just about any situation.

9. ArtFS

ArtFS

Jul 3, 2001
    Virginia
    Yeah Kwelch Ibanez makes some damn fine high end basses. I learned on a crappy one muhself.