1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses From 1972 Fender Catalog pages

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rwkeating, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rwkeating

rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    Chicago
    none
    These are pages showing the 34"scale basses from an early 70's fender catalog. I believe the exact date of the catalog is 1972, but it may be from 1971. These are the pictures I drooled over trying to decide on my first Fender. I ended up buying a 1972 Jazz Bass. I don't have it anymore. I sold it to my best friend and he does still have it!

1972Catalog - Google Drive

vid1900, Low8, Bob_Ross and 3 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Ahh, the good old days, when you could get a jazz, a precision, or a tell - not one of about 20 of each model...

Low8, Bob_Ross, kobass and 2 others like this.
  3. Ajie4D56

Ajie4D56

Oct 19, 2019
    Indonesia
    bass player
    great bass

4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Ah, the good old days. I was in a band playing a very crappy Radio Shack Bass. $47 brand new out the door.
    My lead guitarist kept telling me that I need to get a better bass, a Fender if possible.
    I went to a Ma & Pa music store and the fretted Fender basses were a whopping $350! new.
    Then I was shown a used '60's fretless Fender P-Bass. $225. I still could not afford it.
    They said put it on layaway and we'll give you this fretted semi hollow Framus bass to use until you pay off the layaway.
    At the time, early '70's, the fretless was just an older bass and only worth $225.
    Having never played a fretless instrument of any type prior to this, I got tired of sliding up or down to find the correct note or
    the other musicians telling me to play in pitch. Finally sold it for half the price and got a fretted Gibson EBO bass.
    Granted the fretless has a wonderful unique tone but unless you practice frequently, which I didn't, it was a struggle.

Sparuto likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    rwkeating likes this.
  6. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    ... also the good ol' days when there wasn't 30 different signature models, half of which for guys I've never heard of.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

8. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    In 1971 I got my first bass, a Norma Beatle bass for $75. I vividly remember the sunburst P bass hanging on the wall at Eastchester Music, in NY. It was $180 and I wanted it so badly. There was no way my folks were going to spring for that bass not knowing if I’d still be interested in playing after a month or two.

I had that ‘72 catalog and every other one Fender published throughout the ‘70’s.

Sparuto likes this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've been saying this for years, about both Fender and Gibson. Gotta wonder if the beancounters at either company have metrics that show that slapping some guy's name and/or some other qualifier/modifier onto the name of what's otherwise a (for example) bog-stock Precision Bass results in more sales than if you just made more Precision Basses?

10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I believe it depends on the name and the features of the instrument. No question Marcus Miller and Steve Harris have sold a few basses.

I'm still scratching my head on why money hungry Fender hasn't made a Brian Wilson. P-Bass yet.

11. Sparuto

Sparuto

Sep 12, 2018
    South Africa
    It’s great reading these stories about how people got their first bass. I hope 50 years from now I will be able to share my story about...how I back in August of 2017 drove 16 hours to purchase my first ‘real’ bass...a Fender P:roflmao:....then harp on about how ‘special’ my now 50+ year old bass is:D

dtripoli likes this.
  12. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Wow, that was 50 years ago and I remember it distinctly, but ask me what I was doing a week ago today and I draw a blank.
    I borrow my friend Al's car frequently. It rare and people always ask what kind of car is it and is it yours? It's a 1952 Heimer and it's Al's, not mine.
    Joking aside, 50 years ago there were no cellphones, we had rotary dial land line black phones, public phone booths and no computer or email. You hand wrote a letter and mailed it with a stamp.
    So, 50 years from now you will probably not be using computers, monitors or cellphones. It will all be reduced down to a small pendant worn as a necklace or wrist band. You simply say, "View mail" Either face or written and a holographic screen will pop up. No need to type. Simply speak and it's all written out for you. I could go on and on but I gotta get Al's car back to him.