Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses from Deutschland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I've currently been looking at the basses from such German manufacturers as Marleaux, Le Fay, Christof Kost, Human Base, etc etc and I was wondering if anyone (besides the venerable JMX, who has been very helpful) else has played any of these fine basses? I'm especially looking at the Marleaux and Le Fays, but I'm really diggin' the sound samples at the Kost website.

Free plugs ahoy!

www.marleaux-bass.de

www.christof-kost.de

www.lefay.de

I'm lookin at 5 stringers, so anyones opinions and experiences with the instruments is helpful. Thanks alot, guys and gals.

-Neal

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a couple of friends who own Marleauxs (5 and 6)... they're sweet. I owned a Clover Bass Tard 5 for about a year, very nice bass, excellent B, great playability.

I'd love to get my hands on the rest of what's available from Germany and also from the British builders.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I recently checked out an Esh, which I also think is german, and thought it was really cool. I'm happy with what I have, but if I was in the market for a new bass, I would definitely give the Esh and other german basses serious consideration!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sounds like we hit the same stores;)

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Europe holds a vast amount of brilliant luthiers.
    It's a pity that they have such problems to get displayed. Sometimes it seems like they are mosre visible in the US than in their home countries!

I haven't played any of those you mention, but some other, german and french.
    All great, and all reflecting the culture from where they origin. You know, german squareness, french pride and originality, italian temper... Prejudice? Me?;)

6. I think Jens Ritter basses are the best (not only in germany).

He is at the Frankfurter Musikmesse (European NAMM) at the moment, booth K 43.

You can have a look here for some examples of his basses http://www.ritter-basses.com .

These are my two Ritters which I designed myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps you.

If you have the time, go and see or play his basses at the Frankfurter Musikmesse. The other companies you mentioned are there too, so you can compare all.

I've been there on Wednesday and will go there again on Sunday.

7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    thanks for your help so far guys...and Mackerel, I'd love to go to the Musikmesse..problem is, I'm in the United States! :( So, thats why I'm asking. I've talked with Jens and he's a great guy..but it seems his prices have taken a jump as he's now being sold in the US.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    It is probably a matter of shipment cost. Warwick basses are much more expensive in the USA than in France.

In the USA, a 4-string 2-pickup Streamer Standard lists for $ 1099, though in France it is listed only EUR 856 (approx. $ 755).

All the best,

9. how much do you want to pay?

I think in comparison to all the other custom builders his prices are lower.

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, I'll email jens again..does he still do graphite necks?

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yes, definitely don't forget jens ritter :D :eek:

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, funny Jens Ritter, Le Fay, Basslab and Auerswald (Prince's guitars, U2 McDonald's bass) are German, so much for us being square :p

FYI: Christof Kost used to design and build the Esh basses.
    His own website is:

www.christof-kost.de

13. Although he told me that graphite necks are harder to get at the moment, I think he still does graphite necks. I'll ask him on Sunday!

14. @Dirty Road Cola

Maybe you can tell me your real name?

Maybe Jens remembers your name when I tell him.

15. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    My name is Neal, Mackerel. I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy from Germany..theres a Wal that is calling my name :/

16. I asked Jens, and, Yes, he still does graphite necks!

My two Ritters also have graphite necks. In my opinion they are better, because there are no dead spots, the tones have much more sustain, plus the bass doesn't detune at all, even with a tremolo system.

I hope I could help you alittle bit!?

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    :p to yourself, JMX;)

Seriously, with german stuff you get what you expect. That is "square" in a way, no? OTOH, there are those who leap out of the traditional,,,meaning moving the limits,,,but they tell you what to expect, and that, they deliver. With pride!

French, for example, rather stretch the limits, they tell you some of what to expect and you discover the rest over time. That's quite fun, too!

(Swedes? Pretty much like germans. A little more precautious, perhaps, could even talk a potential customer out of buying.... But good stuff! :p to myself);)

Bottom line: Have fun, find your own bass!