Basses from Is it real, or just real crap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diezel420, Jan 24, 2001.

1. I recently visited the site because I am in the market for a new bass. They sell name brands (like Steinberger basses) at EXTREMELY low prices. For instance:

A 5-string Steinberger fretless lists for something like $1000, an even grand we'll say. MusicYo sells it for around $250.

I wanna know if the stuff they sell actually has quality to it, or if they're selling the few basses that aren't quite up to par. I KNOW STEINBERGER'S ARE GOOD. I've seen them everywhere. I know Sting, Tina Weymouth, and Beck's bassist have performed with them. But are they selling them because there are faults in the basses?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to the board, Deizel.

Well, maybe you could read one of the older MusicYo threads. (by older, I mean, older than your 5-minute old thread. maybe you could read yesterday's or the day before yesterday's treads)

I will say this, though: MusicYo Steinbergers are made of wood, not composite materials.

Will C.:cool:
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Those are the SPIRIT Series..
    Cheap ones..
  4. those basses arent really steinberger basses theyre made by a company that bought the name for a cheapo line. same with the tobias "tobys"
  5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Nevertheless, the Spirit isn't a bad bass (at least the older ones). IMO being made of wood isn't a negative 8^]
  6. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I picked up a Kramer Striker 4200s Bass from because it had dual tap rail humbuckers for like $178.00 total and thats with shipping when i got it the D string sounded dead it had a bad buzz so i replaced it then the A string started to go so i replaced all of them with fender strings, then the tuning peg for the A string started slipping real bad when you tried to tune it down but thankfully the guys at the local music store told me how to fix that, Just needed a little tightning, All in all it is a great sounding bass just needed a little bit of TLC the dual rail humbuckers sound really good, So i would not buy the strings they sell on there cheap for basses cause if they strung the Kramer with them they pretty well sucked.
  7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I like my Spirit I got from Musicyo. No problems at all.
  8. The Tobias Toby Pro basses are very good value for the dollar, so long as you remember they are korean,(made by Cort, same as Cort/Curbow), and are never gonna be exactly the same as a real Michael Tobias. I'm gonna stick my neck out a good ways here, and say they are far better value for money than the Gibson-made Tobias, which is better, but not that much better, considering the price difference. I suspect the same scenario holds true for the Steinberger. You could not expect the cheap Steinberger to match the old carbon graphite ones with EMGs, but that does'nt mean they are no good, just different. I have a Toby Pro6 which I bought with the intention of using it as a platform for upgrading, which I have done. The body/neck is all that's left, EVERYTHING else has been upgraded with top quality components, and I am a happy camper. It plays great, it sounds great, and it was an awful lot cheaper than buying a Gibson Tobias, let alone a Micheal Tobias Design.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All of this thread can be summed up in one sentence :

"You get what you pay for - no more and no less!"
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Oops, forgot there is always the exception which proves the rule - I should have added :

"Unless you're Brad Johnson" :D
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for pointing this out! I've decided that in my next life, I want to come back as him! LOL :D:D
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    *playing his Clover, laughing to himself*
  13. hey marty, what kind of upgrades did you make? i really like the look of the tobiases(?) but i dont want to buy a $500 bass and make $1000 of upgrades. What kind of stuff did you do? was it expensive?
  14. Top model Gotoh tuners, Graphtec nut, fret dress, one Alembic pickup, Alembic preamp, Gotoh quick release bridge with 17mm spacing, Switchcraft jack socket. Originally I had the stock active pickups with a 3band Seymour Duncan preamp, and that was really good. A definite improvement over the stock preamp. I only put the Alembic in (which involved some serious modification) because my custom bass got trashed in an accident, and I was left with the one pickup and preamp. (the other pickup was cracked and did'nt work any more). The one pickup now resides in the area between the original pickup placement (the "sweet spot"), and the gaping holes have been covered by a pickguard made of very thin 5ply birch, which is a model aircraft material. It looks sweet, and sounds awesome. Quite a few pro bassists have commented very favourably on it. The bottom line is, the Toby range are a good platform for an upgrade. I live in New Zealand, so I cant give you any idea of pricing, at least, not that would make sense to you.