basses going out of tune outside

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pedrodiggler, Sep 2, 2001.

1. pedrodiggler

pedrodiggler Guest

Sep 2, 2001
    woodstock canada
    the bass player in my band's guitar whent out of tune when we played outside, any way to fix this prob?:(
  2. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    You have a bassplayer in your band's guitar!? How does he breathe? I'm sorry could you reword that for me?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a common problem with wood neck basses, especially if the temperature and/or humidity are very high.

One way to lessen this problem is to take the bass out of the case and let it sit for an hour or so to become adjusted to the conditions.
  4. pedrodiggler

pedrodiggler Guest

Sep 2, 2001
    woodstock canada
    sorry, the bass player in my band, has a guitar that goes out of tune when we play outside, do have a suggestion?
  5. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Oh, my bad. I was just reading it wrong.
    You know, like: a dog-eating chicken, or
    a dog, eating chicken
  6. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i second this, leave it out for a while, then tune it, and see if it helps.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    By "outside", do you mean "outside the key of a given tune" or "outdoors"? :D
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OT, but: Which is why I wish I could get Dave to build me a bass with a graphite (carbon fiber) neck...

OnT: I find that a lot of times, when in front of people, I dig in harder, making my go out of tune faster, which is something to consider. Course, far and away, I think that the wooden necked bassists worst enemy is Humidity.
  9. Whats this now you come on here pedro and ask questions for me?

ha ha ha hmmm I mentioned it is most likely from the humidity :D
  10. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Agreed - let the bass or guitar adjust to the heat and humidity, then retune. Of course, if you are playing outdoors in direct sunlight, you would not want to be leaving your instrument cooking under the sun. Take into account that bass strings are metal and heat may make these expand which may affect the tuning too.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A bass going out of tune outside (or inside) is not a problem. It's a fact of life. Whenever the temperature changes, or the humidity changes, the neck is going to respond. This can happen as the stage heats up indoors, too. The solution? Tune often. Between every set, at least. Same for guitars. Haven't you ever seen a professional tuning on stage, even in the middle of a song? Instruments go out of tune all the time.
  12. I have a Hohner Jack Headless bass and it is incredible at staying in tune. Partly I suppose it doesn't get knocked out of tune in transit, but it really stays in tune well.

Sadly it doesn't sound as good as my MM, (which incidentally is noticeably affected by changes in temperature and/or humidity), so it doesn't get gigged anymore.

THe MM doesn't need tuning during a gig, but then I do get it out of its case as soon as we arrive at a venue and give it time to settle.
  13. Humidity is a wooden necked bass/guitar's worst enemy, eh?
    Then buy one in some place that's really humid, like Hong Kong or Malaysia or the Philippines, then bring it back to the US. Voila, compared to these places humidity in the US ain't no problem! :D

But's so humid here that everything's pretty much 'used to' the humidity. Playing indoors or outdoors doesn't do much to a bass or guitar here. The thing that worries me the most is my neck(s) warping when I bring something to the US and back again...
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...we play mostly outdoor gigs; doesn't matter, Summer/Fall ain't too kind. I'm constantly checking my tuning(every song...especially the D, G strings).
    The gal that used to play an acoustic guitar with us really had it bad...

I guess the ultimate quick-fix is to get fluent enough on a fretless, eh? ;)