Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses good for funk????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    hey all, me again lol, ok i have decided a musicman is way to expensive to save up for without a full time job, so i am looking for any good basses for funk that anyone can recomend from there experiance, i have 500-600 pound to spend on one, the funk i would be using it for would be stuff like, brothers johnson, lakeside, sly and the family stone etc, and also stuff like the who, chili peppers, queen, JF n stuff
    any help will be apprisiated, i really cant decide on a bass for i need some pointing in the right direction

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lakland 44-01 would be a good place to start, although you had the right idea with the musicman.
    A fender jazz would work, if fenders are your thing.

3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i dont have enough for a music man tho, i only have 500-600 pound to spend, mabe stretch above that a little, have u played a lakland before?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why not get a musicman SUB? You can get teh stingray tone with em, just sacrificing a little of the quality.

5. Check out the musicman S.U.B's, it is their budget bass. Or a P-Bass is always a good option.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have. Laklands are terrific basses, but I can't get my mind around the oval bridge. I know it's extremely picky, but I just don't like its looks. It looks more like a sink attachment than a bass bridge.

My first choice for funk (or any type of music for that matter) is a Fender Jazz. But really, the bass is immaterial. You should be able to play whatever you want on any bass. However, the Jazz bass does lend itself to that style better than most.

7. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i am into lakland and p-bass, but whats the average price for these basses? i've never actually played a P bass, i'm sure i heard somewhere there no good for slap pop which it needs to be able to handle, but i dont no if this is true, probably isnt

i'm not to keen on fender jazz basses, my cuzin got one and i had a few shots of it but i dunno, i dont no what all the fuss is about...mabe i shouldnt of sed that lol

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd go with what Figjam said. You get the tone with the SUB and sacrifice some quality.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jazz basses are a little more versatile. But hey, if P basses are your thing, no reason not to get one. They're great basses. And yes, they slap just fine.

P's go from $400 for a Mexican to $900 for an American, plus of course your custom shop models go way higher than that. But there are always good P bass deals to be had on Ebay and other places on the used market. Even in Great Britain, where I'm told that Fender prices are quite ridiculous sometimes.

10. it all comes down to this...whatever you find best to you. go to guitar center or some shop with basses, slap your way around through all the basses, what ever you like is what you should go with.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Funk doesnt automatically mean slap.

12. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i no, but funk also doesnt autamaticly mean no slap...i'm just sayin i slap pop aswell so i'm wanting a bass thats good for that, i just love louis johnsons slap pop style lol. but yeah, funk by all means deffinitly doesnt just mean slap.

i think i'll go and try out a mexican p bass, it sounds reasonable, and try other ones, thx for all ur opinions

13. Mexican Precision??? Please do not go that route.

At least try for a Highway-1 Jazz bass.

The Mexican Precisions are very... well... varied in quality.

14. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    hmm, have a few failed u? damn i like mexico aswell lol, what about american p basses? remember my budget is pretty tight, 500 quid to 600, can i get an american one for that new? or a Lakland 44-01

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are you against getting a used bass?

16. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    not really, its just the only way i would be getting a used bass is off ebay, and i've never ordered anything off the net before, and theres no way to tell if they arnt sending u a gini pig instead or something

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id recomend a musicman SUB still, seeing as you can get the same stingray tone that you desire.

Ive played laklands, they are good for the money as well.

18. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    okill try out a sub and a lakland and mabe a p bass, do u no any sites with laklands on? with prices etc

19. Lakland would be a good choice...Fender Jazz a GREAT choice...Fender P-bass Deluxe another good choice...Yamaha BB614 have a KILLER vintage growl.

Based on the extreme range of stuff you want...I'd go with either the P-bass deluxe or the BB614...in that price range...

20. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    kool thx for that, i've been looking up a few p bass deluxes and i am liking what i am seeing, especially in hat price range aswell, i'll check out the bb614 aswell