1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses heavier than 8 pounds are not for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doublesixes, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I wish manufacturers would take note of this and make their instruments with the right kind of wood or if using alternative materials, weight should be a major consideration.

It's not right to cause injury to shoulder, back, thigh, etc., when a player has to use a heavy instrument for an extended period of time.

My ideal weight is 7 pounds never to exceed 8. Thoughts appreciated.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that goal is easily achievable, I've done it on the cheap, covering the hard core Jazz tones to P thump and they're all on the petite side. but Fender Jazz style and exotics are popular, there's a price to pay for that.

Carter Reid, DJ Bebop and Doublesixes like this.
  3. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    I agree... was somewhat wary of "basswood" (Tilia Americana, Lime or Linden) until I tried a few basses where this was utilized for the body of the instrument. Resonates well and saves this old man's back.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Im with you.

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    My ideal weight is 10#, not to exceed 12#. (Edit: I play 5’s and anything lighter has a tendency to neck dive)

Everyone is built differently and we’ve all taken different bumps and dings in this life. What’s right for you right now may not be best for others or incorrect.

Much like us, all wood has it’s difference even within species. Some pieces of ash are feather light and some are boat anchor heavy. Using proper materials alone won’t solve this issue. A higher degree of care in wood selection is required. A lot of manufacturers do this, sadowsky for example, but be prepared to pay for the degree of care.

If you simply want cheap instruments that don’t weigh a lot look into Ibanez.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd bet most of my top 4 rotation are basswood

7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Over-generalize much?

The perfect weight for me is about 9 pounds.

Am I “just wrong”?

:rollno:

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There goes all those wonderful Peavy T-40s!.

9. @Doublesixes

Plenty new borns weigh more than 8lb. It's a pretty standard weight the human body can handle easily.

10. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I own a lot of wrong basses then, glad I have a few right ones too.

11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Weight is certainly important, but I find balance to be at least equally important. I can handle a bass that's a little on the heavy side if it balances well. What kills me is when it feels like all the weight is being carried on my left shoulder.

12. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Nobody HAS TO use a heavy instrument. It's a choice.

[RANT]I really get annoyed by people who want to restrict other people just because they don't like something.[/RANT]

13. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    [​IMG]

14. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    He was just stating his opinion.

15. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    No. I don't like super light basses, they tend to move around as you play. I just got a Thumb 5, and while it's a little heavy(around 12lbs), its very comfortable and doesn't move unless I want it to.

I think about 9 lbs would be ideal to me, but playability and tone are much higher priorities.

16. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    Who is restricting who? Where did he say other people shouldn't be allowed to play what they want?

17. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    if it plays and sounds great I don't care too much. #1 for me is just about 10lbs and I will die with it. My backup is 8.5lbs.

FRoss6788, Mili and Doublesixes like this.
  18. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa

Strongly implies that he believes the manufacturers should not build instruments over 8 pounds, and that if they are, they may be using the WRONG kind of wood.

He says over 8 pounds is WRONG, not that he prefers instruments that are lighter.

19. What is the best bass weight for metal?

20. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Manufacturers can build instruments any way they want. Bass players can buy any instruments they want. When bass players stop buying instruments over 8 pounds, manufacturers will stop making them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.