1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses in OK or KS

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Agentbenicio, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Agentbenicio

Agentbenicio

Mar 8, 2011
    I've looked around and didn't see this covered anywhere. Does anyone know of any music stores in Oklahoma or Kansas that have good double basses? Anywhere in OK is fine and in Kansas I would be primarily interested in the Wichita area. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Closest thing off the top of my head is KC Strings in Kansas City. They seem to have their own line of Chinese Made basses and a rental program. Might have some vintage instrument too.

I don't know anything about these basses, but the shops been around for a while and I would certainly call them if I was in the area. I realize it's not that close for you, but based on your question, I'm going to guess there isn't anything where you are.

3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    KC Strings has arround 20-30 basses in its shop at any given time. They have Plywood made basses from china that the family personally oversees the construction of, Hybrids, a lower, intermediate and expensive carved line that they carry.

They have a crap ton of Tyrolian (German-esqe flat back basses). I remember playing on six or seven of them in the 5-9k range while there, with some basses in the teens and a few on the floor in the 20s.

They are located off I35 in Merriam Ks (Basically Kansas City Kansas.)

Its worth the drive. Ben is an awesome guy to get to help you, as is anyone in the shop. I have now bought two basses from them and plan on being a customer there in the future.

I realize its a drive, but it is well worth the trip. Afterward hit up any of the bbq pits on Johnson Drive (the shop is basically on it). If you need any help let me know.

I am not sure if Wichita has anything. You might want to call the strings department at WSU.

4. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Wichita Violin Shop looks like a good bet.