Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses in Pawn Shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, May 4, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Have any of you ever come across a great deal on a bass in a pawn shop?

there is a local pawn shop where i live and i've been seeing a white pbass in there through the window for the past several weeks......think i'm gonna stop by in a day or two to see what they are asking and the condition it's in.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, best to approach it with care. Especially if it has been sitting there for months. I'm a pawn-shop watcher myself and know there are others shopping the pawns and the stuff left in there for a long period of time has a reason behind it. Or your pawn shop is just obscure :)

Oh, and be prepared to haggle the SHIZNIT out of the pawn dudes. Those guys will go down kicking and screaming, but the key is that they'll go down in price. The prices they ask for at pawn shops are ridiculous. And pawn shop owners make me realize why people used to give pawn shops such a seedy reputation.

Hope that white P turns out to be a gem!

-T

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Yea unfortunately several years ago I had to pawn off a few odds and ends.....and I know how little they give you.

btw, I live in a kind of small town so there really aren't a lot of people who frequent the pawn shops....most of the people that do are the ones pawning their stuff.

4. I got my TR-50 in a pawn shop (kinda a pawn shop anyway)

It was tatty and crapped up, but took it home, cleaned her up, raised the pickups a tad, and set the action

Still use it now n then, was a steal at £50 i think, sure was a hell of alot better than the Squier P my mate got new for £200 odd

5. I found my eden 210XLT at a local pawn shop for around $250. It was dead mint, just covered in cat hair, nothing at all wrong with it. Good luck with the p-bass!

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I bought a Yamaha BB1200 in mint condition from a pawn shop. The previous owner routed it for a Lane Poor soapbar, shielded everything, and covered it with a homemade pickguard. He did a very nice job. The bass was in there about two days and the pawn guy had no clue what the pickup was. He even threw in Marshall 1200 power amp and a fuzz pedal, all for $250. The Yamaha is incredible and the Marshall works great. There are some pawn shop deals out there, but you definitely need luck on your side.

btw, those pawn shop guys can be talked down; he originally wanted 350 for the bass alone!

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    yea I imagine they mark that stuff up like 200%....

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    More like 3-400%

9. I believe that BassmanA440 (I think that's his name here) got a Roscoe 5 string for something like $200. I think he also found a sansamp Bass Driver DI for $15.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Never.

Not even an acceptable deal.

11. I found my Yamaha BB1000 in a pawn shop in Australia for $75 about 15 years ago. I still have it and it is my first bass of choice for any gig or session work. Original 1978 model with neck thru and a beautiful bridge.

12. Malus

Malus

Feb 20, 2005
    San Antonio Texas
    When I get GAS I will definitely add the humble pawn shop to my list of places to go. Many times people don't know what they have - or worse know it but have no choice but to pawn thier guitar; the pawn shop is even less informed, so if you are patient you can get them to lower the price to something incredible.

The best pawnshop to check out, imho, is the one right outside of the Airforce Base...all kinds of goodies tend to turn up there...

13. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    We have a chain here called Pawnxchange. On lunch break a friend and I had lunch and stopped in on the way back to the office. I did a quick lap around the store and on the way out he asked "did you see that Fender bass...?"

I went back in and noticed an Olympic white Precision that looked to be weathered as the hardware was a bit pitted and there were cracks in the headstock varnish. The positions markers were indented too.
    The tag said, "Fender bass needs work" or somthing like that.

Thinking I may have found somthing, I pulled out my Visa card and layed it away so I could so some research.

I got back to the office and ran the serial number at one of the many on line sites and lo and behold it was a 1962 Precision!!!!

I understood the pitted hardware but what about the position markers. Come to find out, they were made of clay and had simply worn over time; someone obviously loved this bass and kept it a LLOONNGG time. I wish it could talk!!!

Any how to make a great story even better, the store was having one of their 30% off sales; I got the bass for...
    $147.00 total. No lie!! It is currently sitting in a hard shell case in my music room, NEVER to be sold!!!!!

Same chain, different store, 1983 Japanese SQ series Squire, Sunburst 100% stock... $90.00 total.

I can tell you about 5 more as well...

The '62 is by far the finest deal I have ever heard of ever!!!

14. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    OK, you've hit hard times and need money. You head down to the pawn shop with.... what?
    Most likely with the crappiest equipment that you have. No one sells their truly valuable possesions to a pawn store. They sell the beaters. The stuff that they could care less about. Between that and the fact that most pawn stores don't take phenomenal care of their merchandise and you have really crummy odds. I have several times found what appeared to be excellent deals in pawn stores, only to find a hidden defect later that cost at least as much as the initial purchase to correct.

While I'm sure that it IS technically possible to find great deals in pawn stores (and I'm sure someone will post evidence to this effect), the odds are stacked against you. There are more "cost-effective" ways to spend your time than scouring all the pawn stores in your city in the off chance of coming across the one good deal that will happen in a pawn store that year.

15. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    copped a guild pilot 5 string when they were selling 1200-1400 new (in '90) for $145.00 ,took that bass around the world on tour but it's the only pawn shop steal i ever got so far

16. Malus

Malus

Feb 20, 2005
    San Antonio Texas
    If you are really on hard times (and I have been before, so I speak from experience here) you may not have anything worth pawning other than your few 'valuables' - and you will take a beating - because the pawn shop wants to mark up the item 400% from what they paid you for it. This is also why you can talk them down to what seems like an insanely low price when buying items - it's all profit to them.

Now, everyone's intention in these cases is to come back and claim the merchandise. However, sometimes the bad times keep rolling and you are stuck trying to pay the landlord and your pawned item goes onto the shelves. After a long enough time of scrimping you may or may not have getting that item back as a priority - and so its gone.

It happens - probably more often than you think. I've lost a typewriter, gold rings, a Bach Stradivarius trumpet and other sundry items this way. When you are young, broke, with a family to house and feed, and no marketable skills you don't have much choice in the matter - you do what you can short of pimping yourself on a streetcorner. If the pawn shop won't take your 'crappy' stuff - or worse you don't have anymore crap left to pawn - then the good stuff has to go.

Happily I am not young, now have marketable skills and a good job, and enough cash flow to take advantage of other folks misfortune - if I care to (I don't have GAS atm). :bag:

17. Geddy Lee found his Jazz in a pawn shop in the late 70's... it's done pretty well for him. :)

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eek: :eek: What????? :eek: :eek:

19. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've had a few pawn shop scores....a '93 SWR Redhead for $200, a mint '75 Ampeg V-40 for $130, a late '80's Ampeg SVT-140 4-10 combo for $100, a Musicman 120-B head for $100......I can't remember getting a good deal on a bass, though.

20. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    A couple months ago a friend of mine, who works at a pawn shop, called me up and told me about a Conklin 7 groovetools bass in a nice dark blue. Told him I'd be there in like two days to pick it up..

some @$$ bag that he works with needed to make up for bad sales for that month and sold it out from under him for $400!!!!!
    He said it was in near perfect, new condition, only one or two almost unoticable scratches on the back.