Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses in San Francisco Bay area

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Scot, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey everyone,
    I'm wondering if anyone could point me towards a shop in the San Francisco Bay area that has good URB's for sale or rent. It would be great to find a bass that I could rent on the option to buy, if possible. Perhaps a good repairman that sells basses or knows where to get them, etc. Also, if anyone could point me to a good teacher I would be very appreciative. I'm hoping a good teacher would be able to help me find the right instrument. I've played EBG for over 25 years but am a relative newbie to the URB. I'm mostly interested in playing jazz but want to learn arco, study the Simandl New Method, learn proper technique, etc. Since I've been playing jazz on the electric for quite a few years I'm thinking I don't necessarily need a teacher that specializes in jazz. I've already read through all the newbie threads but any additional info anyone could provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Scot

2. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Great info and thanks for the links, Maestro. If you're interested I'll let you know if I come accross a good bass teacher. I know there's quite a few excellent players but maybe they're too busy to teach.

-Scot

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    To add to MAESTRO's comments, I bought my Chrissy from Alex Friedman and have been really happy with it. Alex rents out a bunch of Cremona's that he's set up. I played one of them and it actually didn't sound bad!

Anyhoo, you CANNOT go wrong with going to Glenn Richman for a teacher: He's my teacher and he kicks some major a$$!. He teaches at UC Berkeley as well as the Jazzschool (teaches most of the bass classes there). You just have to get over to Alameda (Bay Farm to be exact) to get your lesson. Check out his bio (contact info is there too): http://www.jazzschool.com/faculty/fac_g_richman.php

Tell him Huy sent ya. :)

Other than that, I wonder if you can track down Todd Sickafoose, Devin Hoff, or Sam Bevan for lessons. They're all good players in the area, but I don't know if they teach.

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks for the names, hdiddy. I'm going to look into Glenn Richman and the drive to Pacifica to Alameda would be well worth it for a good teacher. He sure does have some happening credentials.

-Scot

5. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Scot

I live in S. San Jose. I've had good experiences from both the String Bass Shop (instrument purchase) and Kamimoto Strings. I take lessons from Bruce Moyer in downtown San Jose. I think he's great. Kamimoto keeps referral numbers for bass teachers in the area so you might want to call them. If you're interested, send me a private message and I can forward you Bruce's phone number.

6. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that replied to the thread and sent a PM. I rented a Chinese carved bass from Kamimoto Strings today. They were very helpfull and the bass is for sale for $3500. I can apply up to six months of the rental towards a purchase. I chose a German bow because it seems much easier for me. I get tired after a minute with the French bow but I can play the German bow as long as I like (as long as my family members don't kill me). Now I just need a teacher. I'll let guys know when I find one. Thanks again!

-Scot

7. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Congrats on renting. That was probably the smartest move. I kinda wished i rented and saved the $$$ toward a Juzek or something but I'm fine with my chrissy now. She's sounding better every day.

oh btw: If you poke around on the musician section of Craiglist, there's also a guy who teaches in SF too. I have no idea if he's any good, especially since I've chosen mine but you could always give him a try too.

8. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Scot

I'm glad things worked out. The people at Kamimoto are first rate. I too think that renting is the way to go. When you feel comfortable enough to start playing w/people you might try to get in a combo class at one of the community colleges or the Community School of Music and Arts in Mountain View. Craigslist is okay and the price is right but you really don't know what your're getting into. A class environment is more supportive and less threatening.

Regards,

kwd

9. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    It was Susan that rented me the bass. She was extremely helpful and very nice. I'm very glad you turned me on to Kamimoto. Everyone was very nice and helpful. I'm glad you mentioned the tuner thing too. I'm going to tune it up with my tuner, which has a built-in mic.

kwd - the school ensemble thing is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Luckily for me, my wife is an excellent drummer and she's willing to suffer through playing with me while I'm getting it together. :) Hopefully we can find a pianist or guitarist that doesn't mind suffering for a while. Then I can find out just how bad my intonation really stinks.

Thanks again, guys. BTW - man, my right hand and forearm are sore. Left forearm's a little sore to.

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    When you're ready, you can call up the JazzSchool (http://www.jazzschool.com) in Berkeley and audition for one of the ensemble classes. I met Glenn in one of them last year and we're soooo lucky to have such a place nearby. I plan on doing the same once my chops get into a place where I'm dangerious enough to do so. SF City College does the same too, but when the teachers at the JazzSchool are so good, I don't bother looking there. It's a pain in the a$$ to deal with traffic, but it's worth it and also a good way to network.

11. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Wow, a family rhythm section.
    If you're aware of how bad your intonation is, you're already on the road to fixing it ;-).

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I just thought I'd give a shout-out to Bill Noertker as a teacher. He's in the Richmond District here in SF and I love him. I've been going to him for 5 years, but only the last 6 months of that is for DB.

13. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Just wanted to keep you guys posted. I'm am going to start studying with Glenn Richman next week. It sounds like he's going to be awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, hdiddy (Huy) and thanks again to everyone for all your help. Man, I'm digging playing upright so far. My hands and forearms are sore but seem to be getting better.

-Scot

14. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention - hdiddy: I told Glenn that you referred me.

-Scot

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    We should get together and play someday, I'm very much a beginner myself.

16. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    That sounds like fun! :)

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Cool, we really should check into that.

18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Scot,

Glad to hear you went with Glenn. He's great and my fav thing about him is he cuts through the BS and teaches you want you want/need to learn. He's not like the average music teacher who insists that you set up bi-weekly lessons so you can 'practice' in front of him and not get much new learning. If you do your homework before your lessons, he really responds to that (not to mention appreciates it) and will push you even further. Last time my lesson went over 30 minutes and I still didn't want to stop. Heheh. I'll probably ask him to give me a 2 hour lesson next time. I see him about once every 2-3 months after I get all my new homework absorbed into my system.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't mind getting together and noodling for a couple hours either. Maybe we can start on our own "Not-So-Super Bass" project. Hehe.

19. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey guys,

I had my first lesson with Glenn yesterday. He's awesome. I'm glad I hooked up with him - thanks again, hdiddy.

hddidy & jazzbo - maybe we should get together for an acousitc bass jam one of these days/evenings. What do you guys think?

-Scot

20. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Maestro,
    Sounds like you had a great time back east. Hope you have a blast with the Jazz Ensemble.

-Scot