Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses in the 500-700 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ok so I am still digging around for info on some basses. Nothing with a ginormous neck. And I play the Pop-Punk and rock mostly, but I want to learn some slap so it needs to have some versatility. I would probably like a music man more than anything but the 1700 sticker price isnt quite reachable :). I could look at used to I suppose but I know there has to be some fantastic basses in the 500-700 dollar range right? Any specific models I should be checking out? There was a really nice hartke for 700 at the store.

How would the quality differ from a cheaper guitar 500-700 over a music man or another 1500-1700 dollar set up?

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Three Words... Geddy Lee Jazz

Runs between $580~$680

3. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Think used:

MM SR4, SR5, The Fender mentioned above...take a look on Ebay for (average) pricing.

4. doogenbomb

doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004
    The Music Man SUB basses are what you are looking for. They are built like tanks and sound identical to the Stingray. :bassist:

5. There's been much said on this board about the SUB's and none of it that I can remember said they were identical to the Ray's. I would do some searching before I took this to the bank.

That price range should do you very well. The Highway 1 Precision or Jazz basses can be had for under 7 bills from MF. You could have 3 Essex's - A 4, a 5, and a 6 stringer, all with top line pups, hardware, and electronics. If you look hard enough there might be a Ken Smith Design Jazz for under $700 new. There are at least 2 custom builders that offer instruments in that range. I can recommend the Peavey NTB Grinds as very good value instruments. I've got the 5 and if you didn't know better, it could pass for a Cirrus at 3 paces. Though they are new, the Trabens have been getting some good reviews. They have plenty in that range. MF has Ibanez RKB900's for under $400. That's a good value. Deluxe Precision Specials are under $600 new. There's the Yamaha BB 604 one of the Nathan East line that under $500. Then there's the Schecter C-4 and C-5 that are pretty nice all under $500. Or how about a Schecter Stiletto? That's in the range also. The G&L Tributes should do the job under $700.

I'm sure there are some more out there...

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I second that one! I have the Stiletto Elite 4 and love it. New they are about $600 and used from about $350-450. It has a really nice thin neck, a very wide range of tones, and looks good.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For a new 4 banger with a thin neck in that price range, you can't beat the Geddy. I love mine!

[​IMG]

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    ^ what he said. I just got my Geddy and its great. The neck is super thin and you can get a range of nice tones out of it including a nice trebbly pop punk sound, and great growl for rock. As far as slapping goes i leave that up to my stingray :) its still my number one, but the Geddy is awsum. no 2 ways about it

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

+1

or, G&L Tribute L2000. With either, you will thank us! :D

10. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    MTD Kingston or Saratoga.

11. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    ya, if i were to pick up a j bass it'd be the geddy bass....it is a nice one