1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses inspired by modified vintage Fenders?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Does anyone have a bass inspired by a modified vintage Fender?

Being a slightly cluesless yankee-boy, I knew little about the famous Tractor Jazz bass, played (and modified) by the late Berry Oakley of the Allman Brothers Band, and have just lately become interested in this kind of instrument. :p

It turns out that the guys who restored my '55 P-bass have built a Darkstar-equipped bass inspired by the Tractor, and also a "modified vintage P-bass" inspired instrument. (Pics and a link are below).

Do you own a newer bass inspired by a modified vintage fender, or even an old modified Fender? Show 'em, please. Let's see those outrageous routed beauties! Post your pics!!

BTW, does anyone know which recordings the Tractor is on? Any comments on the sound and evolution of this unusual bass? Wasn't it used in stereo?

tractor.
    bluebass.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=48&Itemid=1

(Note: I am just a RSguitarworks customer. I don't get discounts, and am not a paid endorser or anything like that, though I think they are great guys and do wonderful work.) :D

2. As far as I know, the "Tractor" was Berry's main bass.

3. Im waiting to see how long it takes someone to post a vintage modified squier.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I was just thinking of my Squier VM fretless jazz bass!

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
  6. The Celinder Update is loosely based on Marcus Miller's modified 70's J. While it's not a 'clone' like the Fender Signature model, my understanding is that Chris Celinder's design philosophy was to get as close to that sound as he could get in a 'state of the art' modern instrument, with split coil pickups for noise, a state of the art active blend system, 35" scale, premium wood, etc., etc.

He even makes many of these basses in the classic natural ash, black pickguard, white blocks and binding wood combination.

Pretty cool!

7. Here's a picture of the model I'm talking about from the Austin Bass Trader site:

[​IMG]

8. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    When you think about it 90% of bass makers have models that are Fender based in some way. From Carvin, Peavey, Shadowski, Alembic, Lakland, Nash etc. They all are spawned from the same tree by either shape, construction or electronics.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I guess that is true. What I am wondering about is basses that are directly patterned off of old modified fenders.

We used to see a lot of these modified Fenders back in the early '70s. Jazz pickups were often added to P-basses, giving rise to the P/J (which I now have a great example of).

Anyway, those basses often had the finishes removed, routing for assorted pickups, preamps, custom wiring, etc. They usually were not all that glamourous looking, and no doubt account for the fates of a lot of older fenders.

Some have been restored, but there must be a few left with their vintage mods. I think one of the most famous must be the Tractor belonging to Berry Oakley, but what about others that have been used (or could be) as proto-types for builders? :D

10. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
  11. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Wifey = :cool:

12. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Can't forget about Dark star Laklands

13. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Subscribed

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Based on a modified vintage Fender?
    Well, yeah;)
    You've probably all seen these before, but here ya go:
    telebodyds2.
    51RIP.
    51TeleP_8.
    51TeleP_4.

I guess I got a thing for hot-rodded old school P's....

15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I suppose this might fit your description:

IMG_0116.

'57 RI P body, '62 RI J neck, Dark Star pickup, passive. With the TI flats, this one sounds and plays about as "vintage" as they come.

The Dark Star is of course modeled on the Hagstrom pickup. I'm not sure how many folks tried replacing the P pickup with a Hagstrom back in the day, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had done that back then.

16. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    I own the said Tractor bass by RS Guitarworks and let me tell you...it has amazing craftmanship and tone for days! Those guys at RS really know what they are doing!

17. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That might be my favorite TB bass of the past year.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's my Fender 62 Jazz RI Jaco Relic in China on CCTV:
    tvcrowd.
    tvshow.
    tvstage.

and from a different TV Show:
    hotel2.

19. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Both of these are different takes on the Fender theme ... the Lakland was a factory custom and includes a Jazz taper neck.
    I like the Laklands because it's a bass Fender never actually made but keeps the basic P-bass vibe.

The Jazz is an actual 76 Jazz modded with Dark Star pickups, and a Badass bridge. This bass had been modded before I got it, some other pickup had been added and then the hole re-filled (and not e very good job I might add), so it seemed a natural candidate for the Dark Star treatment.

View attachment 66948 View attachment 66949

:smug: ... And this bass was inspired by a Gibson rather than a Fender http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4199566&postcount=5

20. /\ next to the new sandberg pm4 i found,that is THE Black and Maple Bass.