basses labelled "Feciebat Reghin, Romania Anno 2005", violins etc. austin tx.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, Aug 25, 2005.

1. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    there was a nice playing and sounding bass called a "bianca II" in violins etc., fully carved for the price of 2600 and it was made in romania, a nice oil finish, violin corners with a flatback. the owner of violins etc. told me (not while i was in his shop but i happened to meet him coincidentally) that they sent a nice older czech bass to the family in romania and they had a pattern made.
    the bass had helicore strings and the arco was pretty nice sounding and the pizz had a nice growl to the low end and midrange.....but the bow i was playing with was a cheap fiberglass bow that had only been rosined by me before i played it, i was going to take one of my bows up there and play the bass some more but i was informed through email that it was just sold and they can order me one, i emailed to ask some measurements and some seemed way off while others seemed ok, bridge height at middle was 160mm and overstand was 106mm, mensure was way off but the bass felt like it was about 41.5" when i was playing it.....oh yeah it had an Eb neck.

i was told that they have put alot of these basses in the schools here and that they hold up well.

so does anyone know anything about these basses?
    any other places to look at basses in the area(i'm in austin) or in san antonio or houston?
    i'm also considering a shen, perhaps a 7/8 willow or something...AND i was listening to paul chambers on the red garland trio recording with coltrane (traneing in) and the appeal of an old sounding bass is almost making me just consider saving until i can find a sweet old bass....decisions decisions.
  2. A "sweet old bass" will only sound as good as the person playing it. Don't forget you're listening to PC's hands...
  3. Quite a few musical instruments are made in Reghin, Romania. I think there is more than one shop and at least one very big formerly or even presently state owned factory there. Gliga is the best known shop in Reghin for violins. My guess is over 90% of the wooden musical instruments originating in Romania are made there. I almost ordered a DB from there, but was not able to find anyone who had a similar bass that I could try here first. The positives of Romanian instruments are usually price (generally competitive with Chinese) and materials. Not all are made of fine materials, but the better models are of very fine Carpathian woods.

I priced a student level carved 4/4 5-string with oil finish and it was about the same price (including shipping) from the factory as the price you mentioned. If the one you played sounded good, that is not a bad price. See if you can find out more about the company that made the bass. The story about the "pattern" is interesting, but there have been violin family instruments and DB's of all sorts built there since about 1951. has some Roma basses made in Rhegin for a good price, but I don't know if they have any carved models left. If so, these may be quite similar to the one you tried.

It would be interesting to compare a bass from Reghin to my Bulgarian bass. Price and materials seem similar.
  4. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i played an eastman 205 model today that was priced at $3200, sound was decent, helicore strings on that one too. the g string was kinda nasty (bright) and i think the romanian basses had more overtones in the midrange than the eastman. i'm thinking that i should go with a willow shen 3/4 or 7/8 size bass if i spend that much money.

i did get a lead on a darker colored kay bass supposedly from 1947 for $1650 and the guy also has a meinel for sale for $1250 that he was told has solid ribs with laminated top and back :eyebrow:

i emailed the bass instructor here at UT@austin and he told me that he thinks the romanian basses at violins etc. are the best deal. he said that the ones he's heard have opened up nicely.

i'm thinking i'm gonna have to just keep looking, although the price on that kay does seem pretty reasonable, no neck break but there has been a crack at the scroll that was repaired he told me.
  5. mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I played this bass for a bit last week, and indeed it did have a cool growl to it. Mark Rubin seemed real impressed with the quality of it vs. price. Didn't get to bow it, though.
  6. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    someone bought it apparently, i think the bass at violins etc. did a little more for me sound wise than the eastman at blackerby's.

i think that the lion's headed bass in violins etc for 21,500 is made by the same shop as the one we played, they said it was romanian i thought.
  7. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    If Mark Rubin said it was a good bass you can take that to the bank. He is a world class player and has had his fingers on more basses than most will ever see.

8. MarkRubin

MarkRubin F L T

Mar 14, 2005
    Austin TX
    Wow. Thanks bub.

On that note boys, gotta line a a real nice carved top - playwood back and sides bass for around $1600, maybe less. Gotta check with the owner....
  9. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    I bought the very bass you are talking about. It has indeed held up well and sounds great.

I am getting ready to sell it, though, as I need to find a bass with a 40" ish string length.
  10. shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    wow old thread resurrected. so you're selling that romanian?
    i have a romanian from reghin for the last 23 years. got it for $800. it was the first bass i ever saw, so i bought it. over the years i had a new fingerboard and bridge put on. its a very solid bass. easy to play, very decent sound both arco and pizz, especially for $800!. ive done a few recordings on it and was very happy with it. these romanian basses are built like tanks, and will last. 23 years and not one problem with the thing. its my main gig bass when i go to places where i think i may come back after the break to see a beer sitting on my bass. hell, sometimes i put the beer there myself. come to think of it, even my main bass, my willow kolstein fendt, was made in romania. another fine instrument.
    to see my reghin bass click the link in my signature, its the bass im playing in the videos. the sound is from the mic on the cam corder. not the best but you'll get the idea
  11. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    Yeah, its time for it to go. I bought that bass in 2005 after making the drive from San Antonio up to Austin and playing it... I wanted a decent bass to take to Berklee with me. It has served its purpose and then some.

I'm trying to find a clone of my other bass though, a small 3/4 size bass with a 40" string length. It is too old and fragile to take to too many gigs.

Attached Files:

12. MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Reghin, located near the Transylvanian Cluj-Napoca in Romania has been for many years the place where the vast majority of student instruments for the former Soviet block have been made. The State factory employed almost the whole population. Among them there were some excellent lutiers, who were working for themselves in their private workshops and were constructing masterpieces. After the demolition of the Ceausescu's regime Vasile Gliga, one of the master luthiers established his own company and today creates decent instrument of the violin family in very competitive prices. He specializes in fully carved flatback double basses with excellent Carpathian tonewoods. There is also the Hora factory, which employs many master luthiers from the former State factory, which produces five different grades of double basses. Their top models are beautifully sounding instruments in very reasonable prices. I visited the place a couple of times and i managed to buy some real gems from the violin family. Definitely it i a place to visit for every double bassist, not only for buying reasons but also for the magnificent countryside.