1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses like a Peavey Cirrus/Ken Smith, but 34" scale (Besides Spector)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IconBasser, Oct 27, 2018.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    some idle musings after a hard day of recording: I absolutely adore how my Cirrus sounds and looks. Some of the stuff I play in my main project though is really intricate and fast, and some of the stretches I have to do are reaaaally challenging on a 35" scale instrument (I have average hands, unfortunately). To actually pull off some of my parts cleanly and loudly, I have to essentially jerk my hand around mid-run to hit all the notes. Never had to do that with a 34" scale.

is there anything out there that has the same kind of body layout as a Cirrus or Smith with a similar tone and a 34" scale? Most of their "growl" and "honk" comes from their pickups being mounted closer to the bridge than most other basses. Is there anything else out there that's kinda close to this?

And I say no Spector (the obvious choice) because I've never played one that didn't have the strings flop all over the place and sound like a typewriter when you dug into it a little (clackclackclackclackclackclackclack).

Thoughts?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I play Cirrus and other 35" scale basses and I have small hands so I can relate to what you are going through.

Sometimes difficulties of playing certain passages can be overcome by changing the fingerings used. Thoughtful positioning of the left hand and logical shifts can be a big help.

By the way, Ken Smith basses are 34" scale. They play and sound great but are quite expensive and if you have to deal with Ken Smith you will find him to be arrogant to the extreme. I no longer own a Ken Smith bass because of Ken Smith.

3. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    I coulda sworn they were 35". Huh.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ken Smith believes that 35” scale is unnecessary. His basses do have very good sounding B strings but sound wimpy compared to a good 35” scale B. G. Gould, Modulus, Roscoe and the Peavey Cirrus all have impressive B strings.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Try a G&L L2000/2500 or M2000/2500.

L series with pickups in parallel will get you in the ballpark. Better IMHO and I've had multiple Smiths and Cirrus's.

Chuck M likes this.
  6. groovin_bassman

groovin_bassman Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Franklin, Ohio
    Sadowsky Modern.

They have similar pickup placement and they are 34” scale. They are killer basses and they have one of the best 34” B strings I’ve played/heard.

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yes, the Sadowsky Modern would be a good choice too.

lowdownthump and groovin_bassman like this.