1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses made by Barrie Kolstein

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gcordez, Aug 5, 2012.

1. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Hi all,

I've met Barrie several times and you couldnt hope to meet a kinder, decent chap. I've been thinking hard about getting a bass made by Barrie, not the ones built elsewhere and finished in his shop, but made by the man himself.

Does anyone have experience and thought on his instruments?
    I'm fortunate enough to have a beautiful Martin Penning bass (an amazing UK luthier who often collaborates with Nick Lloyd) and would love to potentially compliment it with a Kolstein cannon.

Any thoughts etc would be greatly appriciated as we don't hear much about him over here in the UK

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    If you have the money to commission a Kolstein bass, why not just get a Thomas Martin bass. You live in the UK, so you can go to them and chat face to face on specifics.

3. MNbass

MNbass

May 7, 2007
    I am playing a carcassi model made by Barrie Kolstein. It's a wonderful bass in every way. I have also owned A Maggini model, which was also top notch. I can highly recommend Kolstein's double basses. Barrie is also a great guy to do business with.

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've played a couple of Kolstein's including a 5 string Carcassi with high C. Very nice bass.

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I have the Grand Panormo, commissioned 2001. A great bass for orchestra and jazz, solo, etc. It was fairly messed up in the flood here in 2010. Barrie, being the straight up guy he is, reconstructed the bass as a gift. It's even better now.

Ike

DaveAceofBass likes this.
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Wow! A good man indeed. ;)

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Wow! He has a place in DB heaven! :)

8. It looks like you want to buy a bass from him because you like him. That's nice, but the overwhelming factors should be whether or not the bass he's selling is one you like and think is a good deal.