Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses on TV

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Jan 30, 2002.

1. When my roommate had "Bernie Mac" on, I noticed that when he narrates from his basement/entertainment center, there's a Fender or Squier-style P-bass in the background. It's some kind of red (I don't think it was candy apple; it was more pink, but maybe that was the lighting), with a white pickguard and either a finger or thumb rest (I don't remember which). For the first few scenes, it has hanging so that you could only see the body, and then later, so you could only see the headstock.
    I wish my bass was famous, since my playing ain't so far. ;)

2. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I noticed that too. I'm glad to finally see a bass on tv with out a guitar anywhere near-by.:D

3. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    There is a local chain here called T&C surf stuff and in one of their christmas comericals there is a conklin:eek: in that one for about 2 seconds:D

4. Actually I remember when people with basses, guitars, drums, and synthesizers appeared in music videos; that was during the eighties.

Today if I see somebody in a video with a musical instrument I fall into an intense state of shock, cause those moments are r-a-r-e!!!. You only see singers (actually "pretty boys", or anorexic blondes with heavy doses of silicone or the like) these days. It stinks!!!!!

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I personally see nothing wrong with that. :D:D:D

6. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Me neither.

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't know what kind of stuff they're showing you in Spain, but there are still plenty of instruments in American music videos.

8. A Conklin? Really? I missed that one... But, then again, I tend to change the channel when a T&C commercial comes on. They just bug me for some reason. Kinda like those darn carnies.....

9. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Ya...im pretty sure...its the one where their sittin on the beach in a circle openin chrismas presents...im 99% sure it was a conklin...a conklin4 stringer....from the headstock and the neck look...there wasnt a good shot of the body so i couldnt see that locking input jack thing...

10. EString:

Actually, I had access to American TV for almost all of my life, since most American channels could be watched in my NATIVE Puerto Rico. I only moved to Spain in mid 2000.

What did I see in American music videos?: Backstreet Blah, 'N'Sank, Britney, Christina, J.Z., Foxy Brown... not ONE BAND! NOT ONE BASS...OR GUITAR OR ANYTHING! In the 80s: The Police, Duran Duran, New Order, Van Halen, Kool & The Gang... the bands of people like Billy Joel or Billy Squier also appeared on videos (ALL of them). That IS a HUUUUUGE difference.

And if you are wondering: in Spain people with music instruments actually STILL matter, or at least matter much more than in the States.

Where have the REAL rock and funk bands gone??

11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Linkin Park, Blink-182, Weezer, U2, Sum 41, Staind, P.O.D, Nickelback, etc. all play guitars (some not very well).

12. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada

W3rd up d4wg

13. Wicky Wicky wack yo!

14. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Is that some kind of Jetsons ebonics?

15. have any other people here noticed the awesome bass in the backround music of the bernie mac show?

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When I was in the USA in 1988 I actually saw a Yamaha commercial with a short solo by Billy Sheehan!

Anybody else see this back then or is my demented mind playing tricks on me?

17. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Ahem....

Incubus

nuff said.