1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses Similar to Ibanez GSR180

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LewisJai, Jun 15, 2018.

1. LewisJai

LewisJai

Jun 15, 2018
    So I have frequently seen threads from talkbass and have decided it would be a great place for this question.

To cut it short I am looking for a bass that has a similar feel to the Ibanez GSR180 as seen in on this link form the Ibanez website.
    Electric Basses GIO - GSR180 Gio Ibanez | Ibanez guitars
    I love the feel of the neck on this bass and find that it has a comfortable shape and a suitably versatile sound. I'd love to find a bass with a similarly shaped neck that isn't too deep but has some nice width on it (especially near the nut compared to some other basses I have tried). I have a price range of around £400-£500.

For more detail here's some things I haven't liked. At college I have played a Fender Starcaster J Bass that seems to have a fairly standard Jazz style neck and I really dislike how thin the nut width is and also the rather deep V style neck. I've also played a squier P bass that has a much nicer nut width but is still a rather chunky beast. I also really dislike the muddy sound that the P bass has and the lack of versatility. I also own a Epiphone EB-3 that I plan to sell in order to aquire a new bass as I have similar issues with it's neck as I do with the P bass but I also hate how heavy and neck heavy the bass is.

I've owned my Ibanez Gio GSR180 for almost 2 year and I really like the shape and feel of it's neck, it has just the right depth and a smooth shape that I really love. I also like the look and versatility that the pickups/electrics give me with this bass as I often have to play a large variety of styles as a music student.

What turns me off the other similar looking basses in the Ibanez SR series is that they seem to all be active, which I am not sold on. I am also personally not a fan of the plain wood aesthetic that is a staple of the Ibanez catalog.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know there are a lot of gear nerds on here so light me up! :p