Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses, Sounds, Motivations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by djproject, Sep 3, 2000.

1. I'm starting this because I'm very curious.

Each one of us had a reason for getting a bass and a particular kind of bass. I'm wondering:

1. Why were you interesting in getting a bass?
    2. Why did you get that particular bass?
    3. What kind of music do you end up playing on it/him/her?
    4. Anything else worth mentioning.
      [/list=1]

Just curious and the questions above are just a guide. You can answer any way you wish.

Derek Power

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

1. -GM

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO

1. [*] Why were you interesting in getting a bass?

I was also tired of playing the trumpet. When I came to college, I needed something to pass the time, so I picked up a bass and started learning.

[*] Why did you get that particular bass?

I got a good deal on it from my dad's friend, and it came with a hard case. (Plus it looks cool).

[*] What kind of music do you end up playing on it/him/her?

Right now I play alternative/hard rock covers such as Soundgarden, RATM, System of a Down, etc...

[*] Anything else worth mentioning.

I think picking up the bass was one of the best desicions I've made recently.
      [/list=1]

5. why did i pick the bass?
    every time i heard a song my ears just seemed to focus on the bass part.
    second reason-all my freinds played guitar or drums
    first bass:metallic pink peavey foundation
    why-it was 200 bucks, second purchase a can of paint stripper
    bass player that made me want to play geddy lee geddy lee geddy lee hmm i wonder is thats why my second bass was a black RIC

picking up the bass was the last good choice i made

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This could be fun.

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Why was I interested in getting a bass? I'd played piano for two years and grew sick of it. I dabbled for a couple of weeks on baritone, but that never really caught on either. Next came trombone, which I've plaed for 8 years now. I still enjoy it, but it's not the same as playing a groove and holding down the low end. Playing bass allows so much more freedom in what you want to play.

Why did I get my particular bass? I'd always wanted a Fender Jazz, but I was poor at the time and my Hamer was priced just right. Believe it or not, when played side by side with a Fender it sounds almost the exact same. The same timbre, if you will.

What kind of music do I play on my bass? Everything: jazz, ska, punk, alternative rock. But what I play most is definitely ska. I also play bass for my church so I get a lot of contemporary Christian music as well.

Anything else? Yes, if anyone wants to give me $5000 then I'd be more than willing to take it.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

1. Ok, My answers:

1- I became interested in playing bass when I first got a walkman and managed to listen closely to what was happenning beneath the "surface" of a song. The bass line felt like it was the entity that made the music go forward, which is in fact true.

2- I got a Fender because of James Jamerson and a fretless bass (I have three) because of Bakithi Kumalo (on Paul Simon's Graceland). The Zon Sonus was acquired because the Precision is a great one-sound axe, but it's a one sound axe.

3- I hang around with mostly Jazz guys, so that's what I play. I have no prejudices against pop music, except for the stuff that's obviously garbage. Of course, If I were hired to record with one of those crap groups, I'd be in the studio in a jiffy. I guess any aspiring pro must put his preferences aside when working for someone - unless you're Anthony Jackson.

4- This thread should be in the "Miscellaneous" forum.

Will C.:cool:

[Edited by Big Wheel on 09-04-2000 at 08:58 PM]

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Then I'll be scarred for life;)

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ok here goes

1.) I became interested in the bass one day while listening to a Krokus tune. I loved the deep sound that I heard, and liked the way it shook the walls.

2.) My 1st bass was an old Fender Music Man. I got it as a Christmas gift from my parents. The 1st bass I bought was an Ibanez Roadstar, I got it because it sounded pretty good at the time and played really well. and it looked really cool..lol

3.) I played only Rock on it at the time. I wasnt as diversified a player as I am now. But now I play rock, country, funk, pop, jazz

4.) Learn as many different styles of music as you can. Even the ones you dont like much. It will make you a more diversified well rounded player.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And if I was in junior school and wearing short trousers (pants to you) I would come back with something like:

"and MonkeyBunghole is a reptilian keratin muncher! So there!"

But I'm not, so I won't!

:rolleyes:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

15. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

1. Why were you interesting in getting a bass?
      First of all,I loved(and still love) the sound,expecially the Slap sound:I bought my first bass at the age of 9/10;at those time I liked Duran Duran whose bassplayer(John Taylor)did good funky lines in their early records,so I started to get used to the bass sound thanks to him.But I have to say that,before of bass,I had played drums for 4 years;so I think that the passage from drums to bass is quite natural.
    2. Why did you get that particular bass?
      I was to young to realize what kind of bass I had bought(Hondo):it was cheap,and I liked the colour(red)
    3. What kind of music do you end up playing on it/him/her?
      In the first years,I played what I was listening at those times:Duran Duran,Simple Minds,Queen,Pink Floyd,mostly british pop.Later I grew up,and at the age of 12,I get in love with Mark King and Level42
    4. Anything else worth mentioning.
      I think I was born to play the bass!In the sense that the bass is the most beauitifull thing in my life:I have a tremendous passion,it is not an hobby,my dream is leaving playing the bass all day long for the rest of my life!
      [/list=1]

Just curious and the questions above are just a guide. You can answer any way you wish.

Derek Power [/B][/QUOTE]

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

17. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i was interested in getting a bass because so many people around me play guitar, i wanted to try something a little different, i was also inspired by my favorite bassist mike watt

i got my squier four string standard p bass because i could afford it, i want to get an epiphone thunderbird

what kind of music? anything

hmmmmm, i think mike watt should get more credit, along with his band the minutemen, and my favorite band the meat puppets

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Credit for what? Not trying to pull your chain, actually just curious.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My apologies to Bruce for the "coprophagous pettifogger" remark. I usually reserve that observation for attorneys.

20. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    credit for being a hell of a bassist, what do you mean, for what? what did you think i meant, hes a bassist, if i think he deserves more credit, one would think im referring to his bass skills, have you ever heard him? listen to double nickels on the dime by the minutemen before you judge him, hes my inspiration and i think hes a hell of a bassist