Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basses & teachers

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassMaze, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I have recently purchased a cheap Chinese DB here in Hsinchu/Taiwan where I'm currently located for professional reasons. I sold my first DB when I was 18 (for my first car - SIN!) and it's taken 20 years for me to decide to get another one ...

I was wondering whether there are any other bass players in the area (northern Taiwan) and expecially one who might be willing to teach me. I've been playing jazz-guitar and bass-guitar for years, if that helps ...??

Another question goes towards the built of the instrument: I remember that my first DB had a fingerborad that featured a kind of edge under the e-string, whereas my current intrument has a uniform, round cross-section. What's the significance of this difference?

Any response is highly appreciated. Best wishes to everybody!

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I understand that beveled fingerboards are sort of a throwback to the not too distant past, when E strings were floppy and that fingerboard style allowed more travel without buzz. More basses seem to be leaning to the rounded style, and more than one luthier has told me they prefer it, as easier to work on.

3. Bob,

thanks for your reply, I'm glad to see that at least I seem to have followed fashion woithout knowing it ...

I took a look at your web-page, what an impressive collection of instruments and experience! I'll take a closer look later at the pick-up section as I'd like to have one, but have no idea what where how ...

Thanks again,
    Niels

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Not trying to turn this into a commercial, but I've shipped stuff to Taiwan before. You can email me off-list bob@gollihur.com if you like. thanks, Bob