Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that are hard to find.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Name some basses, other than very old, vintage instruments that are not that easy to find/checkout.

For example: The Epiphone Jack Casady. I bought mine without ever hearing or seeing one live, and in the past four years I've only seen one other which was hanging in my local Sam Ash for about a week, then it disappeared. I've heard others here say that they'd love to check one out, but can't find one.

So, which commercially available basses would you like to check out, but just can't seem to find in person?

Mike

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender American Deluxe Zone Bass

I would love to check out an ESP Surveyor II or ESP J-1004 Deluxe.

Lākland Skyline. Any of them.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Oh yeah. Also any Alembic, particularly a single-pickup Excel.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steve Harris Precision! Never saw one in a store, then they discontinued them!

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Used Le Fays.

My own No Sweat by Mr. Bassman (now Human Base) is pretty rare too.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Quiero BONGO!!!!

An Andreas Bullshark or Basking Shark would be highly desireable to me.

Finding a Japanese Fender in the "used rack" would be nice, too.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i hear you cant get a S.U.B for love nor money

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    There's about 15 S.U.B's at my local guitar center.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    strange that, you being in america and me being in england. would never have guessed

/sarcasm off

10. there has been one of these at morrison bros. music in jackson, MS for almost a year. i guess they also have geddy lee there, but i didn't see it last week when i stopped by. they also have both the pink paisley and blue flower p-bass reissues. go figure.

robb.

11. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Just keep on trying. Whether you're looking for a nice warm sound along the lines of passive or just a cheaper Stingray its a sweet deal.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    The Donald 'Duck' Dunn model P-bass and The original Guild Pilot Bass.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Basses I had to buy in order to try out:

Treker Louis Johnson Model
    Peavey B-Quad 4 (Never been close to a 5)

I'm sure other basses are scarce simply because the builders are far away and production numbers are low. In the west coast It's hard to come across:

Foderas
    Ken Smiths
    F Basses
    Roscoes (Had to go to Atlanta to see one)
    Sadowskys
    Atelier Z
    Jack Read
    M.V. Pedullas (apart from the occasional bass hanging at GC)
    Dingwalls
    Kinals
    Azolas (even though they're out here)
    Carvins, at least for California. Unless you live in the L.A. area where the stores are, your best chance to buy one is to find one used. They're pricier in Cali because we have to pay sales tax.

14. up here in canada (atleast where i live), there are quite afew that are a rare find...

-lakland skylines
    -conklin grooove tools (any amount of strings)
    -peavey cirrus
    -curbows
    -a spector beyond the prfessional series

and the list goes on, and on, and on

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender P

:D

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    1999 Fender Rocco Prestia P-bass.
    Never seen one in store.
    Don't know if they still make them?

17. ESP EC-404 basses! i want one so bad! or a 204.

ive always liked les paul basses.. i am one of few, but i dont know why, i justl ike them. i guess they havent released them yet.. because you cant find the esp ec's anywhere... if you can.. tell me! :bawl:

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have found Schecter custom shop basses very hard to find in the NY area.

19. If you live in the Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal area, you should check out Steve's music. They have one in each city, I believe. They have Peaveys and Spectors, and I think I saw a Curbow. Also carry Alembics, Ricks, Musicmans, and other basses that aren't seen too often in music stores in these parts.

I'd love to try a high end bass such as a Sadowsky or a Roscoe. The closest I can get to is a Modulus or Lado, because even the Alembics at Steve's are off limits to the general player (really nice guys, though. It's kind of understandable).

20. I never seen a RIC at Steves in TO, And last year i emailed just about every big music store in Canada looking for a RIC in stock(a new one mind you) and the closest one was at L&M in Vancouver. :p RIC's i find are never in stock at any store. (not counting online stores obviously)
    However you are correct in that i see higher end spectors and Peaveys etc.. there.
    There are a few LADO's up in my local music store...none of the higher end ones mind you...just the mid-range stuff...not bad basses. The owners of my local store are good friends with Joe Kovacic (owns LADO)apparantly....and seen many of his high end stuff and say its quite amazing and have nothing but good to say about him.