Basses That Classify as True "Workhorses"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Jan 23, 2003.

1. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    What bass in your history or that you own now has really served you well...I mean one that you could play day in and day out from gig to gig withought it losing its tone or letting you down after a year. I mean a Bass or Basses that are really made to Play.
  2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if Leo built/designed it... it's a workhorse!

i would probably add modulous, mpg, and maybe lakland if you like the tone.
  3. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    ahhhhhh...thank you modulus, thats what i wanted to hear....i just got one from ebay...but i am waiting for it to arrive :(
  4. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    i dont know why but it seems the cirrus is a really good bass. well thats what i have heard. but in terms of very reliable basses i dont think the rest of the peavey line is very this assumption kind of true or do you think peavey is always very reliable? mike
  5. I like my first FBB. For being a neck-through with two dark-sounding dual-coil soapbars pushed close to the bridge, it can be surprisingly versatile.
  6. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    sorry but i have no idea what an fbb is??? forgive my cluelessness....
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    sorry i forgot fbb pete.... how you likin your fretless?
  8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've been playing my 1987 Warwick Streamer for every gig since I got it back in '99, and I suspect that it'll be my main bass until I'm 99.

I think that in terms of quality per dollar, FBBs are just about the best buy out there.
  10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    My Fender Jazz is my workhorse.

11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    FBB is run by luthier Matt Schmill in the Mass area who is also a member of talkbass. he builds some really cool first rate stuff.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

From 1983 to 1989 it was a Music Man Cutlass I (Stingray with a Modulus graphite neck).

From 1989 to Y2K it was a Music Man Sabre.

Starting in Y2K it's been the Fender RB5.
  13. My Sadowsky Vintage 5. Doesn't matter if it's on a gig, at practice or recording - plug it in and it always sounds "right".

14. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Lakland 55-01 w/Sadowsky preamp - I like the tone!

My 1969 P that I've had since 1970.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Peavey Dyna-Bass 5 that I owned from 1989 through 1999. It even had a defeatable EQ so if the battery died (and it did - right before a gig I noticed it started sounding like ASS) I just switched passive and was good to go. I played this bass in three bands over the years and it absolutely never hiccupped in the least. A real reliable bass that always was there for me. Once somebody knocked it down, it was on a (rickety) stand and they knocked the bass down, it fell right on the strings and bridge side with a loud BANG. (my fault for using the rickety stand) Picked it up and it was still in tune and played the whole gig no problem.
  16. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I had a Peavey Patriot for years. Nothing fancy, but rock solid. Sure the controls got a little noisy over the years, but a little bit of contact cleaner took care of that.

My primary player today is a Carvin LB75 with a pair of Sadowsky single coils in place of the stock J-type pickups, and that bass is as solid and fat sounding as anyone could want.
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    around '89 I was making a decent amount of extra cash from weekends with a cover band and had 4 basses. When I moved to Austin as a poor student playing for beer in original bands, I first sold the Rick, then a MIM Jazz, then my 70's American Jazz, leaving me with just one bass...

Today I've got a Yahama fretless 4 and an Ibanez 5 that usually sit at home while my precious baby - my cheap old 80's MIJ Jazz that's I've tweaked out with better hardware and EMGs - gets to go out and play :D

She's a workhorse, for sure.
  18. I would say the Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, and MusicMan Stingray. They have classic tones and a reputation for being extremely reliable.
  19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I feel redundant... My Fender Jazz Bass Plus (USA '94 w/ Kubicki guts and intestines) was solidly my 'workhorse' for about 9 years... but last thursday I bought a Warrior 5 (gosh have I said that enough)... only played my Friday the 17th gig (which sucked, I should have shed more prior to playing, was nearly a 4th off each beginning of a tune) and the Saturday the 18th (f'ing awesome gig, damn near solo'd each tune... and even between the tunes and in the car ride home from Marietta)....
  20. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I was pretty sure that Fender would clean up here...i am surprised to see that made in mexico fenders are also up there with the american ones...what surprises me is that there are not really alot of boutique basses up here....if i would drop $2500+ on a bass it better be built like a tank..What about the talkbassers with zons, alembics, ken smiths, etc. Arent those the kind of basses that are built to be played over and over for years to come???