Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that cut though the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agyeman, Jun 5, 2001.

1. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    What are best basses when it come to cuting though the mix in a band situation.

I have heard that Musicman Stingray/Sterlings cut though really well.

2. you heard right, that's what immediately came to my mind...

3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Of all my basses I find that my stingrays cut the best, my warwick cut good also I took the mec's out and put seymour duncan basslines in it,

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwicks
    musicmans
    modulus's
    jazz basses

those are my personal favorites for cutting thru a band

jason

5. The first one that came to mind for me:

WAL, no question.

They have a certain growl, punch, and note separation that nothing else I've played has, though they're not prefect for everything.

Mike

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    All good suggestions so far. But, all fall short of one in my experience:

Zon Sonus Special

I've got a fretless 5, and it's impossible to bury this bass, end of story. :D I can't really speak about the fretted, I've heard it's not as good as the fretless (eh Brad J?), but I'd bet it's still a killer. For discussion on this topic, check here:

http://64.39.29.218/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18918

7. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    MTD basses cut like sharp sword

8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    How do fender jazz basses cut though?

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fender Jazzes can work very well. It depends on who's playing it and who's diddling with the knobs;)

10. My Sadowsky Vintage 5 cuts thru better than any fretted bass I've owned. My Zon Lightwave fretless does a nice job, too.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I once used a MIM Fender J with EMG's and the EMG BQC active tone package, it sliced, diced, AND jullianned! ;)

ALMOST as good as the Zon :D

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I might do this. Get a MIM Fender jazz bass and upgrade it. Cheap, and you get a bass with a sound of it's own.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Brad said, in the right hands and with judicious use of the electronics, a Jazz can cut through very well.

The Zon fretlesses that I have played do as well. I have a Sonus Custom five with a piezo bridge, and with a little control tweaking I can cut through anything with it. I have even taken it with me to metal jams with 2 guitarists and had no problem cutting through.:)

Most bright basses cut through well. This includes most EMG equipped basses, some Warwicks, and Modulus.

Like Gard and Brad, I am not a huge fan of fretted Zons. Maybe I just haven't played the right one yet.:)

14. I also agree. After owning 2 fretted Zons and playing many others, I am less impressed with their fretted basses than with their fretless models - especially the Sonus Custom fretless.

Zon's fretted designs are certainly good, it's just that their fretless basses have some special mojo.

Jeff

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's what I said in a post that aparently didn't make it to the board, Jeff;)

It's not that the fretted ones are bad, it's just that the fretless ones are so good...

16. Wouldn't it be right to say that with volume and the proper tone settings almost any bass can cut through the mix? I own way to many basses and have never had a problem with any of them cutting through the mix.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Generally speaking, yeah, but there's always those pesky exceptions;)

Then we have to distinguish between cutting through the mix and clobbering it:D

18. This is true Brad but as I read agyeman's profile I see that he is not in a band so I wonder also why the question.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I don't know...maybe he's a Boy Scout;)

20. OK then I will say that the Stingray and the Jazz cut fine but I like cutting the mix with a Thumb Bass, a RIC on a Pedulla Buzz. Oh yea I Thunderbird works pretty gosh dern good also.