Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basses that got away

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CYoung, Apr 21, 2004.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, what are some basses that, for whatever reason, you parted with and would love to get back?

For me it was a Peavey Dynabass Unity Series. I just got one off of eBay and will post some pics soon.

2. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I started up on a Hondo P-copy that sounded horrible and looked bad. Pointy head, small tuners and a bright red color. I borrowed it to a friend, and never saw it again after she moved to another part of the country.

I guess i'd never used it since i have a few better basses, but since it was my first one it would be nice to have it laying around.

3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Back in the day I let go of an early Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass, an early white 4001 Rickenbacker and a British Hayman 4040. I feel sadness and dread everytime I'm reminded. It was like selling family.
    Rezdog

4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    My first bass was a 1978 Fender P - black on black with a maple board. Dumbest thing I ever did was sell it. :crying:

5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Had an MM Sterling lefty in trans red, maple/maple and it sang. Dumped it. Duh. Then had a black MM Stingray also maple/maple. KILLER sounding stingray for some reason and well broken in. Dumped it too.

Now they are long gone !!!!!! :crying:

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first real bass (first was an unplayible Harmony) was an Ibanez Destroyer that I bought in about 81 and sold around 88. I just bought one on eBay last month

Picture

Sound Clip

:bassist:

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had a spector ns200/q4 that i really liked. I would love to own it again, but the Jazz bass I got for it is really a better bass for me. I never could get a good bridge tone out of the spector, but the neck sounded wonderful. The jazz has good tone all the way around.

8. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My '75 precision, my 1st generation G&L, and my Yamaha TRB5. Loved all of them nad really wish I still had em.

9. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I had another PEavey that got away, but for an odd reason.

When I was 17, I saved up all summer and bought a mahogany Peavey Patriot bass. After my second year of college, I was coming home from the dorms and the thing flew out of the truck hauling all my stuff. It landed, the case split open, and the bass was wrecked. The case slammed into a Mazda pickup and nearly took out its undercarriage.

It was a neat bass, but I probably will not replace it. The Dyna Bass should be here tomorrow, though.

10. i had an awesome sunburst gibson ripper in perfect shape that my dad sold while i was at school (he owned it and didnt know i wanted it) it was awesome and ive never seen its equal or any ripper nearly as nice on ebay or anywhere else

and then theres the 86 g&l sb-1
    [​IMG]

also my 1967 fender mustang bass and my spector ns2000 neck thru

11. dfarr

dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    My original Precision that my parents gave me as a Christmas present in 1967. Pale yellow with a torpoise pickup. Sold it in 1974 for $300 to buy a replacement engine for a Boss 302 Mustang.

12. my Rickenbacker 4008.. :crying: not the more common 4003s\8,but a real deal 4008..I really miss that bass. thanks for stirring up old memorys guys :bawl: ;) :D

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont have a story about a bass I sold and later regretted, but rather a bass I spent 5-6 years trying to find and missed out on getting the few times it showed up on e-bay.

I had spent pretty much my whole bass playing career trying to track down an Ibanez 2609B Black Eagle Bass. I saw one in pictures of Nirvana playing and I wanted one so bad. I learned how to play by listening to Nirvana and I just like how it looked so I spent years on e-bay and the internet looking but it was rare that something came up.

I even had a special "Black Eagle" savings and the few time I saw one, it was either beat beyond recognition, missing the finish or pickgaurd, or was up right after I bought something expensive thinking I wouldnt need the Black Eagle money.

Well anyways:

I finally got one about 6 months ago. :)
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the lovely lady holding the bass. ;)

I almost missed out on the bass too!

I had just bought and recieved my Valenti (my main bass now, I have another on order) and my co-worker (Guitar Center) who was in Chicago for a family funeral a few days before told me he saw this killer vintage Ibanez at the GC up there and I didnt even have to ask what it looked like, I just blurted out "BLACK EAGLE!" Well anyways I had the GC up there ship it down to me and I bought it for $400 after a lot of BS from the sales guy up there who had grown attached to the bass aparently and didnt want to send it to Miami.

Later I found out that my co-worker's dad owned one back when he was living in Chicago and there's a good chance the bass was his at some point. Ive been meaning to let him borrow it for a gig when Im in Miami.

Peace
    Nick

14. My Geddy Lee Fender, I sold to some guy on Ebay only to find out he took it apart and sold the pieces separetly. What a waste of a good bass.

15. I can think of three:

The bass I played in the High School band (owned by the school) was a weird teardrop shaped axe with a REEEEAAALLLY long, thin neck (I swear it had to at least be a 36" scale. I know that it was hard to find strings that would fit it.) I believe it was made by "Kay" (or Kaye?). Probably an early 60s model. It had a six pole GUITAR[/] pickup under the chrome pup cover, but it had a really low, solid sound, which was probably a function of the long string length and the old strings, more than anything. I made the band director swear he would sell it to me if the school ever decided to get rid of it, but he didn't, and it drifted away. Wanted one ever since.

I found an original model Steinburger four string (with the plastic body) in a pawn shop when I was a starving college student. It was only $350, I believe. Unfortunately, at that time, I was so poor that there was no way I could get my hands on $350.

I also sold a '59 Precision that I once owned (original parts, but had been repainted). It made me nervous, since it was really too "collectible" to play. And I couldn't see owning a bass that just set in the closet most of the time. Plus, I had just left a job and started a new one, and I new that, in this job, it would take a good six months or so before I started bringing in much money. So. . . bye bye '59. :bawl:

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Oh I sold so many... Actually, I sold all of them, except the one I have currently (RIC 4003)... and it's for sale now.

I never had that much sadness letting an instrument go, but I admit sometimes I felt some nostalgia about some of them.

But the instruments I play, buy or sell, depend directly on the projects I'm involved in.

Nevertheless, if there was ONE bass I'd really miss, it's my pre-EB StingRay, black w/black pickguard and maple fingerboard. Awesome, lookwise and tonewise.

17. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    My very first bass was like this one. Traded it for a crappy Fender P bass clone. When I was 17 I liked the way the P bass "looked" :crying: Anyway maybe someday I'll get another one.

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My 1950's German Upright bass. Dumbest thing I ever did.(musicaly that is.....)

19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My first real bass, a beautiful 1978 creme-colored Precision. I traded it for a Ric 4001 mapleglo.

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Believe me or not, if someone, one day or another, raises an international contest of the most stupid guy, I'll be the winner at no doubt.

Look at what I let go last year :

[​IMG]