Basses that grow on you.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 27, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Just curious- have you ever had a bass that you didn't like much or had some kind of stereotype against, but overtime its looks or tone really grew on you to the point you liked it? I used to really think warwicks were nasty looking and sounding, but the more I play them, the more I love them- particularly teh fretless models. I'm still not huge on teh corvette body, but teh streamer is very slick and the dolphin is starting to appeal to me as well. If there was a realtively cheap fretless streamer (I don't think they make them) I would be very tempted to get one...:bassist:
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: Don't tell me I'm alone on this! Anyone?
  3. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    That happened to me with the THUMB models*, when I first saw/play one I was like: "what a waste of wood!!!!!", with time I started to like ´em, now I want one... :rolleyes:

*and 5 string basses, few years ago I was like: "5-stringers are for pussycats, now I want one!!!!! (hope that doesn´t make me a pussycat ;) )
  4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Same with me on the Thumb basses. I opted for an older model with a thinner neck profile though. I still don't like the bulky necks on the new ones. :spit:

I actually prefered 5's then switched to 4's. Go figure. :)
  5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics

I used to think they looked to "vintage" and were just generally hippy-ish. The other day I saw this:

And it's an 8-string, which makes it doubly beautiful. Those curves have really grown on me, and I love the color. The owner says it used to be silver, and has aged into that greenish color. Mmm. Thanks to Mark "Surf Rat" Rowe ( for making me realize how beautiful they are. He's Fretless12ver on Talkbass. The tone is also not at all what I expected. As mentioned, I thought of it as a very "vintage" bass, so I thought it had vintage tone (which I think of as smooth and creamy). Wrong. Very much like what I like in tone: bassy, with treble punch. Sharp. And it's stereo, which is pretty cool. All in all, I would love to have this bass.
  6. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Well, I've been in the same situation, I use to hate all fender basses, that until I got my Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, that bass is sweet, now I want to get as many Fender Jazz basses as I can get :eek:
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The pickguard and plastic knobs of the Fender RB5 put me off for a bit.

I was also put off by the body shape and contouring of the MTD USA.

But hey, I own those basses and have grown to love 'em.
  8. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Como esta usted senor caracas? tanto tiempo sin verlo;)
  9. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i usually like the wood on my basses to be from dead trees. It's true, living wood is stronger, but my tree bass keeps changing scale length and the neck keeps warping...:D
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    P basses! I always looked at them with an attitude of, "Whatever :rolleyes: ". Then I realized that those things were the TRUTH!
  11. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    lakland 55-02 deluxe

12. Exactly! :D
  13. When I first started to play bass, I just liked the "metal-looking" stuff like ESP and BC-Rich. I just looked at the appearance of a bass, not the sound and everything that's important.
    I never even looked at more traditional-looking instruments...
    Now I just love the basses I first didn't even look at.

I guess wisdom comes in time...

(no offense to anyone who loves ESP and BC-Rich etc., I'm sure they're good at the music-styles they're made for)
  14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    For me it was Fender Jazz bass. I used to hate the way it looked, and I did so for about 9 years.

Then I went to a concert where the bass player was playing a jazz bass and I absolutely fell head over heals in love with the bass.

Next thing I knew I bought a MIA Fender Jazz bass V and I haven´t looked back since!
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Muy bien gracias, y tu? saludos a su señora!!!:D
  16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I had the same reaction to Ricks and gripe with each is bloody uncomfortable bodies-- warwicks balance poorly, on the whole, and ricks have corners. I played a few and got past that, the non-tapering rick neck still throws me now and then. Ditto for narrow string spacing on warwicks.

If someone could build me a jazz bass that sounded like a rick, I'd sell them my soul (slightly damaged, used, good price!)
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well now, I coulda told you that. :smug:

Ps are just about the ultimate in tone for me. More than Rics, Js, MMs, ect... good ol' P.

For me, though, it's Stingray 5ers. I didn't like them for a long time, but I sure wouldn't mind one now!
  18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    For me it would have to be singlecut basses and finished basses. I started off hating the sinlecut look, but after more of you guys started posting your pictures of definitely grew on me. Same thing with finished basses. I always preferred the natural wood, now I prefer a transparent finish.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

At first I hated the headstock and hated the pickguard. I've grown to accept those. I still hate the string spacing though!
  20. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had a Washburn XB900 that I shouldn't have sold in retrospect.

It had a crazy stonewash blue finish on a swamp ash body (transparent blue/green with white grain lines), a crazysuperfast neck, and probably weighed 6 lbs.

I didn't like the sound of the SD MM system it came with, and its resale, like most high-end Washburns, was crap, but the playability and balance were superb.