Basses that just sound BAD...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    We all have our ideas of "tone" and what sounds good vs. bad, so... Name some basses that sound bad (in your opinion), and what it is about the sound you don't like.
  2. Anything as played by me! :D

Really, I'm not too fond of the lower end Ibanez Soundgear basses...

...However my friends can tell you. There aren't too many bass tones I don't like!
  3. In the place my last band used for rehearsals, there was some kind of Squier that had the crappiest tone I have ever heard in my life - even when used together with a great older amp (which b.t.w. sounded gorgeous with a MIM Precision Deluxe)! Totally useless tinny sound with absolutely NO lows or (good) highs at all. I think this one was from the "Affinity-series" (spelling?). On the other hand I have played an old MIJ Squier from the early 80's that sounded absolutely perfect, so I am not completely sure about the Squiers. Maybe it was all in the amp; maybe the new Squier had some kind of problem to it (bad strings, bad PUP?). Besides from the bad Squier, almost every Ibanez I have tried sounded quite miserably (IMO). Not my cup of tea maybe, as I mostly prefer P-basses.
  4. Uhhh... do Rouge's count... haha of course not... so clever... hahahah ahhh hahah ahhh ha :D
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Only if they are red.....and French! ;)
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There isn't much I don't like, but here are a couple generalizations:

The sound of bridge piezos used alone (they can be OK when blended)

The sound of a soloed bridge pup when it's too close to the bridge (by this I mean closer than the J bass bridge pup): it's just too boingy and g****r-like for me.
  7. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    An old J-copy that I had to play during my early music lessons in grammar school. Can't remember the brand though. Barely sounded at all, when it did it sounded very dead, extremely hard to play on because of uneven string height (I don't think that I would have been allowed to mess with it, my teacher didn't know much about basses. "No, a bass can't have more than four strings, then it isn't a bass." I didn't have them time to argue. I knew that she wouldn't belevie me anyway)
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    cheap basses with cheap electronics and cheap onboard active electronics
  9. Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    A friend of mine has a Saehan P style bass. It sounds empty. It has no mids, few bass and too much Highs. I've also been playing some "cheap" Warwicks (+-800$) that I didn't like at all. They don't sound bad but they are not as good as they should (exept for slapping).
    I agree that some squiers are a piece of s*** but there are also some ones that sound like MIM's fenders. I've heard that some times american fender luthiers make some squiers to teach how to do it. I don't know if it's true.
  10. I remember back in 77 I played a friends Fender tele-bass I thought it was a piece of Doo Doo, both sound and feel. I was playing a Fender Jazz at that time. I had a Moserite Bass that I traded in for the Fender 72 Jazz bass..... The Moserite was weak and had really bad action that couldnt be fixed... Now I wish I still owned it. :( Go to your local pawn shop they are full of really bad sounding basses...
  11. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    In 1980 I owned a short scale Gibson EBO in candy apple red. The single, large humbucker at the neck was the proverbial "puddle of mud."

No matter how I tried, I couldn't get the sound I wanted. It didn't help that I discovered Jaco around that time, and I *loved* his sound. By that time I had gotten rid of an old Jazz bass copy though. Sigh.

I loved the look of the EBO, but I traded it for a Fender Musicmaster. Now that bass had a decent tone!
  12. I agree on the Gibson EB-0. Fart bass! Geezer Butler and Allen Woody (RIP) had the worst tone!
  13. I pretty much hate all washburns and cheap fender copies.
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
  15. Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002

My first bass sould had really done it for you Russy, I hated it's tone as well.

16. Yeah, but those are the cheap Washburns. My XB-600 sounds a hell of a lot better than those, crappy Washburn pickups be damned.
  17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Speaking of those mighty Rogues, I was told by our good friends at the local Musician's Fiend that they are actually made by Ibanez.

Any truth to this?

As far as crappy sounding basses, HONDO, baby!!!! ;) ;) ;)
  18. your caps lock is on, if you aren't aware already...

I actually love T-40's, great american made basses that can still be had for around $200, I think they sound great too. Of course, I have a real lust fir peavey:)

I hate the sound out of the cheaper active Ibanez's. I have never heard anyone make them sound good, or a decent player that uses one.
  19. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Cheap bc riches

boing boing boing boing
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Gibson EB2 and Hofner Beatle Bass, to cite two expensive dogs that offer no clarity of tone but plenty of downright bad sound. The EB2 is esecially horrendous, it's hard to tell what notes you're even hitting on the E string due to the total sludge of the mudbucker p/u and the Hofner has a thin but muted sound that doesn't even resemble a musical instrument--more like an amplified washtub through a cheesy horn! Both have bad short-scale necks. Who cares if famous guys play/played 'em? They still suck. And don't even think of playing either of these basses above about the 10th fret. You guessed it, bad intonation is part of the package, too.

Yeah, I've been stuck with both at various unfortunate times of my career. Thankfully, I no longer own either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.